Searching for Chiang Mai electrician / mechanic who knows what he is doing

IIRoo

Bikes
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900
I bought a 600cc Honda Steed / Shadow (VT600c VLX) in Bangkok in October last year and rode the bike back to Chiang Mai. On the way I hit a pot hole at 70-80kph between Nakorn Sawan and Tak, and that badly shook everything lose. No power, front cylinder popping and banging, chain and bearing problems .. you name it, it was a problem. I got the bike home doing a slow 70-80kph all the way and then took it to a repair shop I knew in the Santitham area, and they have spent 6 months rebuilding the engine. Sorry to say, but they have no idea how to fix the remaining problem so I brought the bike home just before Songrkan and have been searching for an electrician / mechanic ever since. The original popping and banging was the front cylinder, which now runs sweet. BUT the rear cylinder now has a small heart murmer when the bike is running slow on a hot day, the rear cylinder gives out small pops. Open the throttle and the bike revs nicely and takes off... so to me, its one of two things. Either an electrical problem or a tuning problem. I have hunted around Google and Thai Visa, and found nothing but Bike Rentals (Google) and nothing current about bike repairs (Thai Visa). I would really appreciate if any members here can suggest a good mechanic / electrician. Oh yes, I took the bike on Monday to the Big Bike Shop near the bridge crossing the Ping River to Keao Nawarat Road. They have a row of big bikes for sale out front. The only person who would speak to me was banging some part in the shade, and after I described the problem, he couldn't be bothered to get up and have a look... so my advice to anyone is to avoid this shop. Anyway, if anyone can recommend a good bike electrician or good mechanic, please please please let me know. Thanks y'all... Roo, Chiang Mai.

I will try to find out Liams number over the next couple of days, he has a reputation as a very good mechanic

Gday KTMphil, I spotted your reply in my Intro thread. Again many thanks. I will check out Sa Moto first later today. He is the closest according to Google navigation N18.78046 E98.97713. I have driven past there many times, and have never seen any bike shop there before.. maybe I need glasses now :0) If I cant find Sa Moto, I will try Liam, but San Sai is well out of town from where I live (about 1.5kms from Night bazaar). Anyway, genuine thanks and appreciate that you gave me some of your time to advise me. I will keep watching this thread, so don't worry about replies to my Introduction. cheers - Roo, Chiang Mai

Gday Captain_Slash, many thanks for the lead to Liam. KTMphil have passed me his number. I will check out a place called Sa Moto first because is very near where I live. if I cant find him or he cant do anything for me, I will follow up with Liam. cheers and again, genuine thanks. Roo, Chiang Mai

Gday Captain_Slash, many thanks for the lead to Liam. KTMphil have passed me his number. I will check out a place called Sa Moto first because is very near where I live. if I cant find him or he cant do anything for me, I will follow up with Liam. cheers and again, genuine thanks. Roo, Chiang Mai

G'day Captain_Slash, I phoned and had a chat with Liam today (Friday) and will likely meet him next week sometime. Many thanks for the referal. cheers - Roo, Chiang Mai

You are welcome Roo, Liam is a nice guy with a very good reputation as a mechanic

G'Day Capt_Slash, KTMPhil, I thought you (and anyone else who has followed or got involved in my saga), would like to know the engine problems have at last been fixed. No pops, splutters and no serious heart surgery.

In the end, a car fuel pump, serious dirt in the petrol tank, and a shonky Carburetor were causing the misfiring.

I am really glad to say I had a nice run this arvo (aussie for afternoon), and the bike was a pleasure to drive. Now I can start looking at replacing some bits and peices, a re-paint, and playing with Aluminum Foil to get the chrome shiny again. Thanks all of you for your thoughts, advice and ideas.. it helped me heaps.

I look forward to joining you all on a run one day and getting to meet you. If you close threads, then maybe this one has had its day.
Cheers .. Roo, Chiang Mai

Who did you use in the end?

Never sent from an I-Phone

Hi KTMPhil, sorry for the delay but babysitting my 5 yr old Grandson has been soaking up a lot of free time. Plus I wanted to ride the Bike a bit more before making a recommendation for Khun A, and I also wanted to go out and see him to ask him if it was OK to put his details here. He was happy for me to post his details, and I am happy with the repair he did so no problemo.

To find his small shop, head out of Chiang Mai down the Hangdong Road. Past Tesco Lotus and past the Motor Registry Department (on your left). Then move to the right hand lane before the Traffic Lights next to HangDong Big C, and turn right towards the Night Safari. Follow this road to the next traffic lights (the Canal Road) and take a left. Head past 7 Eleven and the Market on your left, and then past some trees and bushes, and you will see a stack of big bikes parked along side the dual carriageway, and a small shop down a slope. He has a small sign outside saying A Bikes. He speaks some English, is friendly and helpful. I will try to added his details to the Motorcycle Directory as well.

Cheers

IIRoo, Chiang Mai

Hi everyone

I just wanted to say almost one year later, and all the mechanics have been sorted out by Liam. Yeah, he is the man!

After threatening me that he wouldn't touch the bike if it had been Thaialized, he did, and found all the things that were really wrong:
*The popping and spluttering and grey / white smoke were caused by the refurbished Carb. (Just goes to show that you really can't assume because something is sold as refurbished, that it is.)
* Two different size front fork springs (1 x progressive and 1 x standard).
* Broken throttle cable holding on by 1 thread.
* Front brakes hamerred in by heavens knows who.
* filthy fuel filter
* Mashed Speedo inards - shows 70kpm as 90'ish on the GPS, 90kph as 118-120, and 120 kph as close to 145 etc etc
* Assorted cables, pipes corrected, replaced etc etc
and last but not least, as if the front forks were not enough
* An air filter that had the element cut out and a bath sponge stuck in

Unbelievable.

But I can say the bike now cruises quite happily up to 140-150 or so, and would have done more if I trusted the speedo and kept going.

The last job now on my agenda is a repaint to fix all the dings and dents caused during repairs.

If anyone wants to get a really good job done, then I genuinely recommend Liam.

cheers all, Roo

PS Oh yes. Now it goes and no risk of going bang on me, I will be out riding a heck of a lot more and may even be able to join some runs to places far.

Glad to see you got it all fixed, where is he located?

Liam has a place off R118, a few kilometers past San Sai on the way to Doi Saket. If any one needs to be put in touch, please let me know through this forum. I have asked his permission to pass on details, but out of courtesy would prefer to call him and check its OK to give a phone number or location details. He really is dedicated and has a love of motorcycles. I enjoyed meeting him.

I told you Liam was the best man for the job, glad it all worked out in the end

Back
Top Bottom