Border crossing problems - two bikes, one owner

BobS

I am planning some trips to Laos and Cambodia when a friend visits later this year. We will both be riding bikes registered in my name.

If we are crossing borders together, can I do the paperwork for both, or will he need to have the form allowing him to exit with someone elses bike?

Looking for advice from anyone that has tried this.

Thanks in advance

Bob

I have not done this myself but I would be surprised if there was ANY problem.

What you would do is the standard Thai Customs clearance for the bike you are riding, whereby they would issue you with a temporary export agreement from Thailand.

The Thai bike that your friend is on registered in your name, you would fill out the usage authorization document in the link below & I dont see why this should be a problem. Then the same Thai customs temporary export agreement would be issued to him.

thai-reg-bike-border-crossings-with-a-bike-not-in-your-name-t855.html

BobS said:
I am planning some trips to Laos and Cambodia when a friend visits later this year. We will both be riding bikes registered in my name.

If we are crossing borders together, can I do the paperwork for both, or will he need to have the form allowing him to exit with someone elses bike?

Looking for advice from anyone that has tried this.

Thanks in advance

Phil

My question was whether or not I, as the owner of the 2 bikes, could temporarily export and import them both at the same time, without having to use the additional document. Possibly someone that organizes tours has done this in the past.

I agree that there would be no problem if I were to issue a usage authorization document for my friend to carry. Then he could cross borders and I would not need to be there.

BTW - is the usage authorization document good for only one exit from Thailand, or can it be used for multiple trips?

The Thai non-registered-owner-usage authorization document is a 1 shot deal. They cross through the government tax stamps on the document once its been used at the border & i think they keep the original and the rider carries a copy.

As far as i'm aware you will need the authorization document for the second bike in your name.

Then he could cross borders and I would not need to be there.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE FOR HIM TO CROSS THE BORDER WITH A BIKE REG. IN YOUR NAME IF HE HAS THE THAI USAGE AUTHORIZATION DOCUMENT WITH 2 TAX STAMPS.

BobS said:
Phil

My question was whether or not I, as the owner of the 2 bikes, could temporarily export and import them both at the same time, without having to use the additional document. Possibly someone that organizes tours has done this in the past.

I agree that there would be no problem if I were to issue a usage authorization document for my friend to carry. Then he could cross borders and I would not need to be there.

BTW - is the usage authorization document good for only one exit from Thailand, or can it be used for multiple trips?

Phil - you might want to wait and post AFTER coffee.

My post - "I agree that there would be no problem if I were to issue a usage authorization document for my friend to carry. Then he could cross borders and I would not need to be there."

Your reply - "YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE FOR HIM TO CROSS THE BORDER WITH A BIKE REG. IN YOUR NAME IF HE HAS THE THAI USAGE AUTHORIZATION DOCUMENT WITH 2 TAX STAMPS."

Same, same, eh?

Thanks for the info about the document being a one shot. I have only crossed borders with my own bike.

not possible Bob, Can only temp export 1 vehicle per person even if both are in your name.
The extra paperwork would be needed to give your friend permission to temp export your other bike.

Hi,

I know this Thread is dead old but I guess it fits my question.

Would the following case be possible or create any kind of problem at the border.

My wife and me are planning to ride two motorcycles from Thailand to Germany.
I have most things figured out and already planned.
Myanmar tour - check
Carnet de Passage - check
Visas - tbd
Motorcycles - check

One question remains..due to us buying the bikes too late we might end up having both the motorcycles in my Thai wifes name. Which is no problem for the Carnet document or anywhere else. Also insurance wise this will not cause any issues.

The only thing that I read about now recently is this huge deal that the Thai customs apparently is making when taking a Thai registered motorcyle OUT of Thailand..

So heres the question. Will we face any issues when we will be leaving Thailand at Mae Sot border with Myanmar because of the bikes both being registered in my wifes name?

Thank you very much for any answer!

Best Regards
Fabian

I personally don't see a problem I assume you are to return back to Thailand with the bikes, if you show them your full itinerary in same.way a tour company would do.

Hi,
thanks for answering me...well actually we are planning on riding "a bit further" (to Europe) within let`s say sth like 6 month or more. No time pressure here.
So as I read here we can not bring back the bikes anyways because of the fact that you are only allowed to take your vehicle out for a maximum of 6 month :roll:

However that is not a fact that the boarder customs would need to know. Might as well say we plan to go to India through Myanmar and back within 4 weeks...

Anyone with some "real border expierience" here?

Thank you very much!

Regards
Fabian

I know at least one thai guy thats taking his thai plated bike around the world for the moment. I think he has been on the road for approx 2 years at least. I dont know what arrangements he has done regarding his bike but I assume he is going to bring his bike back to Thailand. So it could be worth talking to him...

I can send you his contact details on pm if you like.

I would very much appreciate to get his contact. I guess he could help me out with one or another question.

My concern really only is if my wife is allowed to take two vehicles registered in her name out of Thailand at the same time.

Who knows how the Thai law works here..

In these parts of the world you deal with people/persons and not laws and rules. Thats the problem - and also the charm down here. So how it will work out for you and your wife and the bikes nobody knows before you actually try it... Anyhow - best of luck!

PM sent...

Fabian - some questions

1. Why don't you buy one of the bikes in your name? All you need is a certificate of residence.

2. If you are buying new bikes, how soon will you get the license plates? That can take some time, depending on the dealer.

3. Where are you getting the Carnet?

Hi,
Snakeboy you are of course right. No one really knows until it's done ;) but maybe someone had the exact same "problem" before.
Thank you for the contact!

BobS
1. That's of course the plan...but it's a bit of a o longer story to tell. If that works out my concern and question is of course solved.
2. For my wife's bike it took about 5days. For my last bike on my name it took around 2 weeks. Not longer usually.
3. Carnet can be issued by several automobile clubs. I'll be getting mine either from Germany or Switzerland. An answer from Malaysia is still pending.

Thank you for the input.

Regards
Fabian

Bikes out of Thailand for longer the 30 days.?
Comes down to a fine at a daily rate with a MAX of 10 or 20K
Can't remember which Max is correct .

I also read about the max of 10k somewhere. Will be no problem if the bike comes back after two years time?
I guess not to disclose this upon leaving would make sense ...if not asked specifically at least.

Back
Top Bottom