SEA border crossings on a UK plated bike.

Wuming

Bikes
Yamaha T700. Honda CRF250Rally.
Hello all.
I am riding from Kyrgyzstan to Laos (starting in August) via China. I hope to then cross from Laos to Cambodia (Nong Nok Khiene) and then Cambo to Thailand (ideally at Koh Kong/Khlong Yai). I am hearing different opinions as to the feasibility of this. Can anyone confirm or deny the possibility of crossing these borders on a UK plated bike?
Many thanks.

It is hard to make definitive statements, given the number of changes around the whole Covid thing. However, I've taken a NSW (Australia) registered bike from Malaysia into Thailand, Thailand into Laos, from Laos into Cambodia and then Cambodia into Thailand again. No problems.... well, just the usual problems, nothing noteworthy. No need for a Carnet de Passage at any of those borders.... just fill in the forms they give you, make sure you get a copy of the temporary import permit from them (had that problem once, where they didn't give me the copy... caused difficulties upon exit, but not insurmountable). You should be able to pick up the necessary local third party insurance (cheap) at or near the border. Smile a lot, buy them an ice cream if it's hot and enjoy

Well, aren't the same pre-Covid rules in place? Laos to Cambodia seems to be hit and miss.

Thailand should theoretically require a permit, as per the rules since June 27, 2016, but have heard that enforcement of the rules varies. Originally intended to keep the Chinese out, it continues to do that (the Chinese definitely need permits) but all other foreign registrations seem to depend on the border crossing and/or who's on duty that day. Perhaps the government will streamline the procedures one day to eliminate any loopholes but so far, this hasn't happened.

Back
Top Bottom