Border crossing between Thailand and Laos for Singapore registered bike

Uli

Bikes
KTM 990 Adventure, BMW F 800 GS, BMW G 650 GS, YAMAHA XT 500 BMW
Valued forum,
a friend told me, that the border Chiang kong to huay xai can not be crossed with a bike....though some forums state it can.
I am planning to visit Laos with a Singapore registered F 800 GS next january.....though I am doing my homework on internet to check which crossings i can take, I would appreciate to get some updates from experts...as the information I am reading and getting sometimes seem to contradict.
which crossings are open to the best of your knowledge ?
many thanks in advance
uli

Uli - I did the crossing last week on a motorcycle, there is no problem. More here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-.../105-laos-international-border-crossings.html

Valued forum,
a friend told me, that the border Chiang kong to huay xai can not be crossed with a bike....though some forums state it can.
I am planning to visit Laos with a Singapore registered F 800 GS next january.....though I am doing my homework on internet to check which crossings i can take, I would appreciate to get some updates from experts...as the information I am reading and getting sometimes seem to contradict.
many thanks in advance
uli

Valued forum,
many thanks in advance
uli

Locations:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...irements/4188-border-crossings.html#post33707

Maybe you can tell me if Thai registered bikes can cross into Singapore?

Uli - I did the crossing last week on a motorcycle, there is no problem. More here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-.../105-laos-international-border-crossings.html

Yes, I agree with that as long as the ferry is still in operation in January. However, the soft opening of the new bridge is on 11 December 2013 and it is not sure if motorbikes will be allowed on the new bridge once the bridge is in full use (on the Nong Khai to Vientiane motorbikes are allowed but on the bridges more to the south they often are not allowed to cross).

In that case you can cross north of Nan at the Huay Khon - Nam Ngeun crossing (N19.59759 E101.08906). Best is to ask again closer to the date you plan to cross as by that time there should be more known about motorbikes allowed to cross or not.

On a bike registered in Singapore you probably have a better chance to cross over the friendship bridges into Laos than on a bike registered in Thailand.

Why is the Thai registered bike a problem?

This is old information so take it as such.

I have been told at Nong Khai - Vientiane and Nakhon Phanom - Thaket friendship bridges that bikes registered in Europe can enter but not Thai bikes. This was said by Laos customs at both bridges. At Nong Khai - Vientiane friendship bridge they may let you in on a Thai bike if you are not Thai and smooth talk Laos customs. A Thai from Pai I know a little was rejected at Nong Khai right after "Rudi Koeln" on this forum got through. The Thai was not very happy as you can imagine.

Going to Cambodia when they have had one of their "periods" they have told me that bikes not from Thailand can enter and exit at another crossing but Thai bikes are restricted to how far in they can go. This was said by Cambodia customs. I mentioned it here one time http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ts/1526-ban-pakkhad-restricted.html#post11301

A bike from Singapore may or may not be the same as a Thai bike.

Thanks for all the useful information....

Yes, I agree with that as long as the ferry is still in operation in January. However, the soft opening of the new bridge is on 11 December 2013 and it is not sure if motorbikes will be allowed on the new bridge once the bridge is in full use (on the Nong Khai to Vientiane motorbikes are allowed but on the bridges more to the south they often are not allowed to cross).

In that case you can cross north of Nan at the Huay Khon - Nam Ngeun crossing (N19.59759 E101.08906). Best is to ask again closer to the date you plan to cross as by that time there should be more known about motorbikes allowed to cross or not.

I will be coming from the Golden Triangle and it would be a pity if I would have to go all the way down south until I find a border crossing that let's me in.
If not Huay Xai......Huay Kon would still be ok.......
But as I read from the map and the Info I got, the next option would only be Kaen Thao or Nong Khai ...just to go all the way up to the Chinese border...the place I want to go...
Laos will be the first stop for "the trip of my life"....for which I quit my job to make my dream come true.......so I hope it will not start with a disappointment.
Appreciate updates from the forum on this....else I will come back with this question late December.
Have a great day
Uli

thanks for the info

Is "Nan at the Huay Khon" the same as the map of border crossing here at "rideasia" calls " Nan to Mueang Ngeun" ?
The next one south of Huay Xai ?
Sorry...not yet so familiar with all the geographies there.
Thanks
Uli

Yes the same

Is "Nan at the Huay Khon" the same as the map of border crossing here at "rideasia" calls " Nan to Mueang Ngeun" ?
The next one south of Huay Xai ?
Sorry...not yet so familiar with all the geographies there.
Thanks
Uli

This is old information so take it as such.

I have been told at Nong Khai - Vientiane and Nakhon Phanom - Thaket friendship bridges that bikes registered in Europe can enter but not Thai bikes. This was said by Laos customs at both bridges. At Nong Khai - Vientiane friendship bridge they may let you in on a Thai bike if you are not Thai and smooth talk Laos customs. A Thai from Pai I know a little was rejected at Nong Khai right after "Rudi Koeln" on this forum got through. The Thai was not very happy as you can imagine.

Going to Cambodia when they have had one of their "periods" they have told me that bikes not from Thailand can enter and exit at another crossing but Thai bikes are restricted to how far in they can go. This was said by Cambodia customs. I mentioned it here one time http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ts/1526-ban-pakkhad-restricted.html#post11301

A bike from Singapore may or may not be the same as a Thai bike.

Maybe, but the most current information I have is as follows:

Thai bikes and foreign registered bikes are OK to cross in either direction at the first Friendship Bridge (Nong Khai-Vientiane) IF they are 250cc or over. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the bike is Thai or other foreign registered, or the nationality of the rider at this crossing but no small bikes are allowed (although the Singaporean rider OP has a big bike so no problems).

Back
Top Bottom