Thailand Laos Border Crossings - Rule Change

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
It appears that Laos has changed their rules for allowing motorbikes to cross the border from Thailand to Laos which started on March 1, 2018. Apparently individual (1 or 2 bikes) bikes are no longer allowed to cross into Laos and 3 bikes or more will need a Tour Permit. Not sure if they will allow one or two bikes to cross who have a Tour Permit

Here is the automatic translation of a post appearing on Motorcycle in Laos: This is my first post. Talk to Lao officials. Private Motorbike Arrivals Can not Lao officials do not pass I can not help you tour Laos. The caravan tour is coordinated with both Thai and Laos. It is the new law of Laos. Use every nationwide. On the 1st of March, 2061 (the words of all Laos officials), the Thai side did not provide the Lao motorbike.

This is info from people wanting to cross at the Chongmek /V\ Vangtao crossig (Ubolratchathani) but at this moment it is not known if this is valid also for other crossings. I will check later this week when I go to Laos.

In addition, the Laos side is now enforcing the rule that you have to leave at the same place as where you entered - I was fined 600 Baht (got a receipt) in Vientiane as I was leaving at another crossing than what was mentioned at the green form. Before that I had the same problem in Mueang Ngeun (north of Nan) where they did not want me to cross the border as I entered that time at Nongkhai / Vientiane, In the end they let me leave after paying 500 Baht (no receipt given).

Would be good if you could update the info regarding crossing at Chiang Khong for solo riders when you cross next Auke.

Would be good if you could update the info regarding crossing at Chiang Khong for solo riders when you cross next Auke.

Yes, I'll do that - by the way, crossing at Nongkhai to Vientiane is still possible without problems

Surprising, I always considered Chong Mek an easy crossing.

Mr. Lone Rider:

Very good of you to post this new wrinkle in the Laos rules. Thank you for your contribution. Several of us are looking for your follow-up, especially if it is true Laos is tightening the screws on overlanders and some of us wanderers as have other nearby countries.

Dr.G
Chief, World Adventure Affairs Desk, CITY BIKE Magazine
Sexual survivor: www.greataroundtheworldmotorcycleadventurerally.com
Self-proclaimed "World's # 1 Motorcycle Adventure Sleeper"

Brain from CR BIg Bikes is looking into this matter with his connection at Chiang Khong border as well Bob.
When I hear back from him I will post what he has found out.?

Just for your information - From one of the motorbike forums: The Thali to Nakraseng north of Loei is off limit for motorbikes. A Thai guy tried to leave Laos yesterday for Thailand at this crossing but was told: This outpost (border crossing) has a deal between Thai-Laos, not allowing a motorcycle.

photo.php

Picture copyright Kan Kongprapan

Just got a message that luck was not on his side as he went back to Vientiane to leave Laos and there he was told to pay a fine because he was leaving at the wrong border crossing - in Vientiane instead of Nakraseng/Thali (Kenethao) crossing which was shown on his temporaray import document AKA the green form.

Last edited:
Looks like Mr Lone Rider Laos will soon be off limits to us all on Motorbikes.

Yes, it is getting more difficult - Vientiane (Nongkhai) still seems to be OK as is the Chiangkhong/Houayxay crossing.

The guy which was refused exit at the Thali/Nakraseng (Kenethao) crossing went to Vientiane to cross back into Thailand. Unfortunately he was fined there for leaving Laos at the wrong border crossing - Vientiane instead of the Kenthao crossing as indicated on his Temporary Import Document (also known as the Green Form)

From my contacts based in CR confirms Chiang Khong is good to go even 1 or 2 Bikes?
Paying the fines is not too much of a problem at least we know it's not going to break the Bank.
Still, don't make it right?

It appears that Laos has changed their rules for allowing motorbikes to cross the border from Thailand to Laos which started on March 1, 2018. Apparently individual (1 or 2 bikes) bikes are no longer allowed to cross into Laos and 3 bikes or more will need a Tour Permit. Not sure if they will allow one or two bikes to cross who have a Tour Permit

Here is the automatic translation of a post appearing on Motorcycle in Laos: This is my first post. Talk to Lao officials. Private Motorbike Arrivals Can not Lao officials do not pass I can not help you tour Laos. The caravan tour is coordinated with both Thai and Laos. It is the new law of Laos. Use every nationwide. On the 1st of March, 2061 (the words of all Laos officials), the Thai side did not provide the Lao motorbike.

This is info from people wanting to cross at the Chongmek /V\ Vangtao crossig (Ubolratchathani) but at this moment it is not known if this is valid also for other crossings. I will check later this week when I go to Laos.

In addition, the Laos side is now enforcing the rule that you have to leave at the same place as where you entered - I was fined 600 Baht (got a receipt) in Vientiane as I was leaving at another crossing than what was mentioned at the green form. Before that I had the same problem in Mueang Ngeun (north of Nan) where they did not want me to cross the border as I entered that time at Nongkhai / Vientiane, In the end they let me leave after paying 500 Baht (no receipt given).

Auke, when you say "enforcing the rule that you have to leave at the same place you entered" isn't it still the case that you simply have to inform the official where you will be exiting (which can be at any border you like)? On most of my crossings into Laos by car, I leave through a different border to the one entered. I have for years always mentioned which border I'll be exiting at, just like I have done on the Thai side driving Lao plated cars into Thailand. Since I have made so many crossings over the years, I have become a little complacent over time and just wait for the officials to ask me and they usually do. However, if for whatever reason I'm not asked by the time the green form is about to be printed I tell them myself.

Perhaps you meant that Lao officials are now enforcing the rule that you must exit at the location you specified at the time of entry, which is mentioned on the form. I have never attempted to leave at a different crossing to the one I tell the customs officials upon entry. I plan my trips in such a way that I do exactly as I tell officials. Same thing when I go to Cambodia.

The only border where you have to really emphasize that you would like to drive around the country and leave through a different border is Vientiane. If you say nothing, the officials there automatically give you only 14 days, restrict you to Vientiane city (Kamphang Nakorn) and force you to leave through the same border. All other borders automatically assume you are driving around the country and the officials generally ask where you will be leaving at.

Yes, this is very unfortunate.

While I agree that Thailand was right to bring in some order in 2016 when it started requiring vehicles from countries that don't share an agreement with Thailand on cross-border transport to apply through a travel agency before entering, especially since it was unfair for Chinese vehicles to be allowed to enter Thailand freely while Thai vehicles needed a tour to enter China. However, I am becoming concerned about more and more rules restricting vehicles from neighboring countries crossing their common border, which is not in the spirit of neighborly friendship. Not to mention that trade and tourism will become negatively affected.

For example, Malaysia reportedly requires an RFID chip for Thai cars (Singaporean cars have required this for a while now) to enter the country since last June (other than vehicles traveling within the border region). Strangely, none of the Malaysian insurance agents in Sadao have mentioned this to their Thai clients so perhaps Malaysia hasn't started enforcing this yet. Thailand is planning to reciprocate starting at the end of this year according to a Bangkok Post article. Later on, Thailand will require a GPS tracking system and will start charging foreign vehicles a mileage based tax. Motorcycles won't be affected for now, but will be in a couple of years.

Since 2-3 years Laos has really started cracking down on foreign motorcycles crossing into it's territory, not just from Thailand but also Vietnam. Vietnam has also closed many of the loopholes that previously allowed one to drive a motorcycle across the border from Laos or Cambodia. What I'm wondering though is are Lao motorcycles allowed to leave the country? I've never seen a Lao motorcycle in Thailand so I'm curious as to whether Thailand imposes the same rules on Lao motorcycles entering the country as Lao does on Thai/other foreign bikes.

Thailand and Cambodia still don't share a cross-border transport agreement covering private vehicles and somehow I think they never will. Because by the time such an agreement were to be put in place, a pay per km tax will already have been introduced thus nullifying any chance of there being any increase in cross border traffic. Ditto for Myanmar.

Back
Top Bottom