Bikes on train or in post in Thailand

alexuk

I'd like to know about shipping bikes in thailand on trains or in the post.
Not everyon wants to ride a motocross bike chiangmai to bangkok etc
So to start with trains, can I put the bike on a train to bangkok from the east, as I'm in Cambodia can I do this at Aranyaprathet, or Trat or somewhere near the Koh Kong crossing?
If so do I need to book in advance, how much does it cost, do I need to get on the same train?
Where can I get train times?

If I post the bike, do I just turn up at any post office and leave it with them, or just certain post offices?
How long would that take to deliver? And what would they charge?

Any advice to offer?

Aranyaprathet has a train station and I was told you can put the bike on there.. Koh Kong does not have a train line IIRC.

For the post system its slow but decent.. Only for post office to post office and it has to be one that supports logipost (most larger ones do, only super small ones dont). Aranyaprathet post office does it. I posted my DRZ from there one time.

Post is slow but reliable, and has tracking etc.. Unsure I would trust the train if I didnt accompany it.

Try Trac express transport too

4353d1343465342t-bike-transportation-thailand-trac-express-shipping.jpg

As far as i know they will only do Chiang Mai- Bangkok

More in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/vendors/1755-bike-transportation-thailand.html

You could try nimtransport Official Site. web site has English as well.
I've never used them but, sort of remember other people having bikes transported by them.
They have offices all over Thailand, & are part of the Nim See Seng group, which have sponsored the odd motocross & enduro event here in Chiang Mai.

Any idea how long it would take the Post office to deliver??
Say Trat to Chiang Mai?

This is tricky as it seems very variable.. If it gets good connections through the system I have had Phuket to CM (which takes transit delays in Surat, North of Bangkok, and Lamphun) in just over a week.. Also had it take over 2 weeks as it sat waiting on being moved.

Shipping Aranyaprathet to CM means going back through bangkok.. Think that took 10 days maybe 2 weeks but was during the floods.

I am guessing Trat would be fairly direct.. Maybe one hop to BKK one to lampun.. If you had it going to a central post office rather than adding another bounce to a local smaller one.. 7 - 10 max ??

EDIT :: forgot to say, the more 'central' the post office you send it from, the faster it moves of course.. Not unusual to drop it at the post office but not see it shift for days as they wait on moving a truck out. Learnt that with multiple Phuket ones, it could wait 2 or more days at my local office, before even moving to the phuket central office for another couple, even tho that was a 5 km hop.

Back
Top Bottom