Insurance for Rental Bikes - SOLVED (maybe).

daewoo

Bikes
Yamaha FZ1, 1984 XR250, KLR650 (past)
I posted a year or more ago about insurance for rental bikes, because they effectively have almost none.

Your travel insurance probably covers your own medical costs, but every policy I have read (Australian issued, but by global underwriters) specifically excludes any liability for rental vehicles, aside from some covering insurance excess on cars.

That would mean you could be up for the cost of replacing the rental bike, damage to the other vehicle, and injury above the included insurance if you were at fault. Quite possible a large sum.

A while back Mr Prakan had specific rental bike insurance but discontinued it. They are offering it again now, and from what I can see it seems to provide exactly the coverage you would need if the worst was to happen. It even provides 200,000 Bail Bond insurance (important for TheBigFella).

Last edited:
Ha ha.... bailbond for me? It wasn't me blowing smoke going up the hill the other day. Luckily, you didn't get arrested.

I will be doing some further research on this insurance issue in the coming weeks. Tum is likely to have new bikes in her fleet, so worth having.

I think as a point of differentiation, setting yourself up as ethical and organised, and documenting what you provide that others don't would help you compete on something other than price.

Maybe don't publicise how you can offer 'full insurance' when the market is offering 60,000 THB (I think) compulsory medical insurance only.

Definitely worth looking into, if nothing more than to understand if it's of any value.

Back
Top Bottom