Bikes and other stuff in Burma

Hassman

Bikes
Suzuki DRZ 400SM Matchless G3WO -41
I will be heading to Burma (Yangon) in about 10 days time, if anyone of you is looking for something special please let me know beforehand and I will keep my eyes open.

I will be checking out some bike shops and bikes for sale, will also sort out shipping of one or two bikes to Myawadi to then get them across the border to Mae Sot.

pm me or reply to this post if you are insterested in anything over there.

Cheers
Hassman

I don't think it is but about 200 meters from the official border crossing it is business as usual -with the notable exception of course that whilst it is possible to move goods across it is not a clever idea as a white man to go across... we kind of tend to stick out like sore thumbs...

Thanks for the reply, its always useful to know if Mae Sot is open for visa runs as its a good quick option

Captain_Slash said:
Thanks for the reply, its always useful to know if Mae Sot is open for visa runs as its a good quick option

As far as I know it's still shut. Checked on Wiki, they seem to think so too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Sot_District

Gateway to Burma
Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge

Mae Sot is the location where Asian Highway AH1 links between Thailand and Burma. It is one of the only two transnational roads and cross-border points across the Tenasserim Hills to Burma, along with Three Pagodas Pass. The Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge crossing the Moei River was constructed in 1997 completing the link between the two countries.[1] At the entrance of the bridge is the immigration office which is open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. The bridge and the fontier have been closed by Burmese government in July 2010.

As a gateway city, Mae Sot has its own domestic airport. But due to high fuel costs, some airlines such as Phuket Air have cancelled their flights between Bangkok and Mae Sot. The bridge over the river has been closed for almost one year (as 22nd July 2011) and there are no signs of it re opening soon.

Every year, Tak Chamber of Commerce organizes a friendship bicycle rally to Myawaddy.

So am I to assume your attempting to get some older iron into Thailand to restore ??

Interesting project.. Those old Trumpets looked like a fine project for those with the time and skills.

LivinLOS; yeah, I found some nice bikes that I will bring across, need some projects to do or I will just mill around and do nothing all day and go out and party all night...

Hassman said:
LivinLOS; yeah, I found some nice bikes that I will bring across, need some projects to do or I will just mill around and do nothing all day and go out and party all night...

Hass - There's a guy in Laos that is seriously interested in a BSA ...can you put the photo's here of the bikes available in Rangoon?

I just read in the Bangkok Post today that the Mae Sot border fully re opens on the 5th december

Captain_Slash said:
I just read in the Bangkok Post today that the Mae Sot border fully re opens on the 5th december

Well spotted Colin

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lite/breakin ... ning-dec-5

Mae Sot checkpoint reopening Dec 5
The Mae Sot-Myawaddy checkpoint on the Thai-Burmese border will be reopened on Dec 5 after more than a year of closure, Tak deputy governor Wuthi Sithisurat said on Saturday.

Published: 3/12/2011 at 03:35 PM
Newspaper section: breakingnews

Mr Wuthi said he had been confirmed of the reopening of the checkpoint by the governor of Myawaddy.

Burma had invited Thai authorities and leading members of the Tak Chamber of Commerce and Federation of Thai Industries to attend the opening ceremony of a border economic zone on Dec 5.

The ceremony would be attended by high-level Burmese officials from Naypyidaw, the Burmese capital.

Mr Wuthi said there would not be a ceremony to mark the reopening of the checkpoint, which has been closed since July 18 last year.

The Thai-Burmese Friendship Bridge would be opened as usual.

Sources said the reopening of the Mae Sot-Myawaddy checkpoint followed a contact between Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul and the Burmese counterpart.

Captain Slash; many thanks for being on the ball!! great to know and will make my life a lot easier!!

Hassman -

You were talking about finding a fixer in Chiang Mai that could arrange Myanmar Visa's from Chiang Mai, saving the trip down to the Myanmar Consulate in Bangkok, did that ever come to fruition?

The pre approval visa may have been restarted.. It was then wasnt etc..

Go see P&P Travel in Thapae Road - the tourist one is a bit hit & miss for anyone who has not already had one, so the business one is the one advised for noobs. Talk to the boss Praneet there, cost ~800 Bhat for tourist IIRC and 1400 for biz .... I Think.

Need fill in a form and copy of PP - pay fee - takes about 7-10 biz days and then get VOA for $35-$60 when arrive in Yangon.

I found a company/agent in Burma that arranges visa on arrival for 75 USD.

e-mail: voa-tours@myanmar.com.mm for the details, the application takes 12-14 days.

With flights direct from CNX to RGN twice a week it is not too expensive or difficult to go there, I hope that things keep progressing over there and that it gets easier and easier to go over as it is a really nice place.

Whats the average cost of a return (2-way back to Chiang Mai) flight?

Hassman said:
I found a company/agent in Burma that arranges visa on arrival for 75 USD.

e-mail: voa-tours@myanmar.com.mm for the details, the application takes 12-14 days.

With flights direct from CNX to RGN twice a week it is not too expensive or difficult to go there, I hope that things keep progressing over there and that it gets easier and easier to go over as it is a really nice place.

Ticket cost return by Bagan Air is 8'100 Baht, It seems like you have to book at least a week in advance as there are not many direct flights and it tends to get full.

At the moment hotels are expensive what with the recent US visits and increased interest in the country, I called hotels over there and the prices they quoted on the phone were 2-3 times the prices quoted previously.

Back
Top Bottom