Base camp... Grrrr !!!

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
OK just when I thought I had basecamp going good..

Maps on a thumbdrive.. Made with Javawa.. Basecamp reads the thumb and the maps are there visible etc..

I also have the garmin connected at the same time so I should be able to make the route.. then send to device.. OIr at least I could last time I was doing this..

But now it wont let me make waypoints or create a route.. It was doing last time around, in fact last time things worked well enough I was starting to think it wasnt so bad.. but now ??

Any idea why base camp wont allow way point creation or route creation..

Also in a hurry.. Always the way !!

Found it..

Select my collection..

Nice intuitive software !!

Basecamp is a buggy piece of crap :topes i guess you're on the Windows version, the Mac offering is sadly lacking.

Make sure you have the latest offering of Basecamp, frequent updates for Windows users :(

OK heres a baffler..

I have a route.. I plot it on google maps.. Its 610 kms..

I put the precise same route into garmin.. Set it up and export to my device.. Using TSM12.1

On basecamp it says its 709 kms !! On my garmin it says 720.. Both the garmin and basecamp using the same 12.1 map..

Now OK, I could buy the 11km difference between basecamp and the garmin as some rounding error.. Maybe I dont have precisely the same map in each.. But google at 610 and garmin at 710.. WTF ?!?! Thats like 15% over googles measurements.

Well mate, Mapsource and I assume Basecamp as well (I am using Mapsource as I find BaseCamp a PITA) offers you the option of Fastest/Shortest as well as options to exclude U-Turns, Unpaved roads, etc. and several other options and that is where probably the difference comes from.

Preferences.JPG

By the way, the latest ESRI map is version 13.30 (actually 13.20 as the English version of the 13.30 map has not yet been released) so updating your map may help as well.

In addition, the route you transfer to the GPS will be re-created/re-calculated by the GPS and therefor may well be different from what you designed. If you want to have the exact same route in the GPS make sure that you put in "routing waypoints" in the route and transfer them to the GPS with the route

No, its the exact same roads !! The exact same route.. Its not just endpoints and a variation.

I am using a few waypoints to 'force' the GPS to take the route I want.. Same as dragging google earth to the roads I want.

But I have checked the whole route in detail and the precise same roads are giving 610 on one and a variation of 2x 710 approx results on garmin. Thats insane.

I dont have time now but I will dig into this on my return.

Sefton, can you send me the route as I "love" (yes, I am a bit of a nerd) to dig into these kind of strange things with routes, etc.

I will do when I get back as this is stranger and stranger..

I set out on the 720 km track as per the GPS.. Followed it exactly and despite it being the precise route, the GPS itself measured my distance at 610, exactly what Google said it would be..

I also want to check out where the confusion is..

By the way, the latest ESRI map is version 13.30 (actually 13.20 as the English version of the 13.30 map has not yet been released) so updating your map may help as well.

2013.30 English
:-) Unzip and run the installer file to install on your computer for use with BaseCamp and/or MapSource. No need for gmaptool, cgsmapper etc.

2013.30 English
:-) Unzip and run the installer file to install on your computer for use with BaseCamp and/or MapSource. No need for gmaptool, cgsmapper etc.

Really getting old as actually the latest version is 13.40 for which the English version is not yet available. I do have version 13.30 (Thai, English and Dual language) and the 13.40 Dual Language version which I got from my usual source.

Back
Top Bottom