Ban Long To Oudomxai Off Road

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Day 3 from Ban Long To Oudomxai

251 Km 10 Hrs. 20 minutes

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 15.44.14.jpg

GpxViewer

I awoke refreshed after a good nights sleep at the Siseng GH, it's pretty basic with squat toilets but good hot shower (apart from room 3 ). Bid my goodbyes to the owner and new granddaughter and place a little sticker.

Untitled by bsacbob, on Flickr

]
13965295144_f2879da997_o.jpg
[/url]Untitled by bsacbob, on Flickr

Last year i rode this trial the other way and if you recall had a brush with one of the mining Landrovers, this time no traffic at all, the bull dust i had encountered last year was good likely due to the big storms, but sadly had exposed the rocks that could rival any section of the old rock road to Pongsali (no pictures of that too busy trying to keep my bike together).

Wasn't long before the old machete was in action again to clear away fallen tree's and scrub.

Hitting the first village with a small water crossing things had developed since i was last there and a number of what i guess logging trails had opened. I pointed myself down one of them but ended up going in the wrong direction, so saved for another day.

Some burning in evidence but not as much as last year, but again i guess the storms dampened them down.

More tree chopping then this larger tree that was beyond my tiny machete, lucky for me i could lay the bike down and with of effort project the bike through in first gear and flick the clutch.

Small logging camp

Sky starting to clear

Lots of small villages along the way.

Lovely cool water crossing

Even the smoke appeared to eased today so i could enjoy the views.

Loved this little house, they called me down for a drink but i couldn't figure a way down.

Power poles ready for erection, thats a bad sign

More great views

But not this

This is one of my most remembered trails in Laos and still remains untouched and reached Nalae in record time, i checked around the guesthouses and all were deserted, all large Songran party was underway and all the village was there !

Gassed up in town to access my options, figured i could get to Oudomxai before nightfall and the guy in the gas station confirmed the road was graded (turned out he was wrong or at least the way i went) since i had never down this section of i went.

Came to the only real village along the way, my GPS was pointing me through the village and off the graded road to a series of water crossings, trusting the GPS would guide me through, this was the first one leading from the village.

Then quickly another

Some sort of Dam in progress

Now this bit was interesting and hardly any signs of motorcycles coming this way so i was a little apprehensive and the trail turned to single track and numerous water crossing some of which in hind site i was foolish to be doing alone.

Pretty much the trail was the river, hard to imagine in the rainy season

Notice the green slim

A couple of them had nice bamboo bridges but the last i gave a miss.

Interesting gate

This was the worse for me and my short legs

Finally i was back on more frequently used sections of the trail and i could pick up the pace, but i could see no link back to Nalae of this graded section

Final stream crossing

Back in open countryside

Nam HIn reservoir was a beautiful place and wish i had spent some time there, but the light was fading fast.

Arrived in Oudomxai, the Nam Mao river was very low and looked like some sort of mining works in progress to extract minerals.

Not sure how she got the wheel barrow down there

Decided to go posh, i was going to stay in the Vilavong GH and wish i had, but had a brain fart and decided to go to the very large Friendship Hotel. Chinese owned had a big restaurant area and what i guess was a big Karaoke in the front, staff extremely unhelpful and i asked for a double room with Wifi at the back of the hotel hoping it would be quiet.

Given a single room out of reach of the Wifi, complained and got nowhere, the said i could use the lobby Wifi, great customer service !

Restaurant did not serve food WTF, so went to a place across from the main entrance, the food was almost uneatable but since i hadn't eaten all it would have to do. Turned in for the night and thought i would check out the massage building in the rear, too late it was closed and late at night turns into a local disco / beer station full of drunk teenagers until 1AM.

Not much sleep that night, why didn't i just play safe and go to the Vilavong :-(

Attachments

• day 3 Long to odomxai.gpx
    2.8 MB · Views: 345
one of my favourite rides in laos Bob

Coming out of nale there was a 20+km section of old track, then it joined a new road all the way to the oudomxai rd

one of my favourite rides in laos Bob

Coming out of nale there was a 20+km section of old track, then it joined a new road all the way to the oudomxai rd

Yes Alex that's exactly right, the pictures are as i rode the trail so you should be able to remember it..

Any idea where that sealed road goes then?
This is the place I remember, but going the other way
naleford.jpg

Well at least it's better than no jacket at all, but a bit hot for Thailand :DD

Thought for a minute you was gonna to make a constructive comment about my post, but i know you better than that .....:LOL

I went easy on him . It was Hard:RE

Great pics Bob.

They are great Pics Bob. especially the shy Kid's hiding behind posts which you seem to be able to capture.

I'm waiting for day 9 impatiently :)

Any idea where that sealed road goes then?
This is the place I remember, but going the other way
View attachment 28570
Hi Alex yes that crossing is along the single track following the river, attached is a shot of the route, i can only guess the graded track heading north links back up but when i reached the end of the single track i could not see anything pointing back to the West, but their must be a connection otherwise pickup's could never get through. Another good reason to go back :hmm

Screen Shot 2014-04-25 at 08.06.53.jpg

Have to wait mate, bloody internet is on snail mode today, but it give you more time to look through my other posts and make comment / criticism :smashpc:

have been trying to follow your tracks on paper maps but is difficult, cannot find the named villages. is that a complaint?

have you tried cycling ( off/ on) your router?

Yep tried that, could be just a Chiang Rai thing or maybe i'm just at the end of the string but Rudi was complaining of the same in CNX

have been trying to follow your tracks on paper maps but is difficult, cannot find the named villages. is that a complaint?

Not sure Gary i will check :lol3 but you can view the gpx on Google Earth in each post, the next two days should be of more interest to you, they are on tarmac (well sometimes) and great for the Strom.

Is this doable in rainy season? Is there away around the river?

28571d1398388641t-into-great-wide-open-day-3-screen-shot-2014-04-25-08.06.53.jpg

As i said before PHil there has to be another way, will check again on Google Earth, beginning of the rainy season i would say yes but after that it would be a bitch the rocky crossings would be begging your bike for a dunking. But the trail from Houay Xai to Long (you tried before) and then down to Nalae and then Oudomxai has to be some of the best riding in the North of Laos, but for how long who know's as you could see the power pole guy's are marching on.

Had a look around on all the maps including Google Earth & there doesn't seem to be any documented trail around that area that I can see that even links up with R 2w. Apart from the trail to the SW / R 1506

Ill have a chat with Midnitemapper, he might know of a way.

bob oudomxai trail txt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom