Huay Xai To Ban Long November 2016

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Distance 186km

Screenshot 2016-12-08 14.47.09 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

After a nice relaxing night in town we met the following morning and headed off in the more inland route to Ban Long passing Wat Xiengdao on the Mekong, the road and the scenery up to this point gives you time to shake out the cobwebs and enjoy the mainly paved route.

PB180369 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

We stopped to admire this view and suddenly all the kid’s in the village came out to see.

PB180370 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

PB180372 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Dipping into my tank pannier and sweets all round, my chicken became the centre of attention.

PB180374 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Off once again we reached Wat Xiengdao to eat a baguette we purchased in Hua Xai.

PB180378 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

PB180382 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

20161118_150241 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

PB180385 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Inquisitive young monk’s.

PB180386 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Making the turn east it was soon apparent the trail was little used since the end of the rainy season, a little sloppy in places.

PB180387 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Early bath for Des.

PB180389 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

More sloppy bit’s, but the main problem was small pebbles that would have normally pushed away, it was like riding on marbles.

PB180391 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Reached the iron bridge with no drama’s

PB180394 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Once through the trail narrowed from lack of use.

PB180397 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Then opened up on some of the rocky sections.

PB180398 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Dennis getting a wheel up on the slope.

PB180399 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

Des had picked up a front puncture near the iron bridge so we limped into Xieng Kok for what turned out to be a poor repair.

20161118_170206 by Bob Kelly, on Flickr

We reached Ban Long as darkness fell and checked into the Henghom GH at N20.96211° E100.82333° 80k kip and had a relaxing first evening at the local restaurant just down the street which now boasts and english menu

Love the pictures Bob. I need to buy a new camera so I am interested in the camera you are using as your pictures are really nice.

By the way, you mentioned "After a nice relaxing night in town we met the following morning and headed off in the more inland route to Ban Long passing Wat Xiengdao on the Mekong, the road and the scenery up to this point gives you time to shake out the cobwebs and enjoy the mainly paved route" - does that mean that the road from Highway 3 to Xiengdao is now more or less paved?

Thanks Auke, my camera is the Olympus TG870 waterproof shockproof and pretty well idiot proof, the zoom could be better but all in all a good compact camera.

Yes the route from the hwy 3 to Nam Mueng is now paved and only the section onwards to the stupa is still in a graded state.

Back
Top Bottom