Another trip down "History lane"

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
About a year ago, while doing some mapping work, I made considerable efforts to collect information on the "war" between the Thai Army and the Communists in the north of Thailand - see http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...north-thailand-gps-map-few-other-tidbits.html

At that time I wrote: ......to collect more info and hopefully finding answers to questions I had on the "war" which happened some 30-40 years ago between the Thai army assisted by the remnants of the Kuomintang army against the communists.

During the last year I did quite a bit of reading on the history and trying to piece bits and pieces of information together to get a better insight in what happened during these turbulent years. However, there are still blank areas to be filled in so it was time for another trip, this time to the north-east of Nan to Tung Chang where there is a military museum (Infantryman Museum) and the "Civil, Police, Soldier" monument and quite a bit further on and much closer to the Lao border the 708 Communist Head Quarters at Ban Nam Ri Phattana. Close to Tung Chang and in a way also not very far from Ban Nam Ri Phattana you will find Ban Manipruk (Maneephruek) along Rd. 1291/4017 where there are a lot of caves. Some of these were used by the communist fighters and at least one of these was said to contain traces of their living quarters including some beds in working order, weapons hiding places, food trays and other utensils.

So lets start with the caves and the ride up to Ban Manipruk which is home to Hmong and Lue people as well as the Lum Nam Nan Securities Development Project. Actually there are two villages with the same name: Manipruk 1 which is predominantly a Hmong village and Manipruk 2 which is the vilage where mostly Lue people live and the Lum Nam Nan Securities Development Project Offices

Manipruk 1 and Manipruk 2
BanManipruk1.jpg

BanManipruk2.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

The road up to Ban Manipruk is quite steep and over a distance of about 38 km. you go up from about 300 meter at Rd 101 to about 1400 meter at Ban Manipruk. The views from the road.

IMG_8972.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8980.jpg

Just past the Lum Nam Nan Project office you will see this sign for 2 of the many caves - the Ho Ying and Ho Chai cave , Phu Hua Lan which is a mountainous area and the Pha Daeng Battlefield. Still not sure what the Pha Daeng Battlefield stands for as there is no mention of it in the literature I used to better understand the Thai Army/Communist struggle. However, the battlefield may refer to the battle between Hmong people and lowlanders with lowlanders cutting down some 50,000 lychee trees in the Pha Daeng forest at Doi Phu Ka National Park and burnt down some 20 Hmong owned houses in retaliation for the cutting down of trees by the Hmong which had been planted under a reforestation programme to restore the watershed area (Bangkok Post, 23 August 2000).

IMG_8983.jpg

By the way some 40-50 meters past this sign you will be at the Pha Pheung cave on the left side of the road (look for some concrete steps down the road) but be careful as from the entrance the cave floor slopes down very steep and it is the deepest cave in Thailand (during the last survey in February this year they went down to 476 meter below the entrance).

The Pha Pueng Cave
IMG_9022.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_9027.jpg

The reason for getting up here was the Pha Daeng Cave which some 30-40 years ago served as a hiding place for the communist fighters in this area and which was said to contain remains of their presence. The cave is in one of the valleys and you need a local to guide you to its location as it is difficult to find. However, the local people I met and asked for assistance were very reluctant to tell me anything other than that the other caves were easier to get to and anyway, all the remains of the presence of the communists was gone so there was no need to go to this cave. This was confirmed by some people I met later and they gave me some pictures of the Pha Daeng Cave.

OnthewaytoThamPaaDaeng.jpg

EntranceofThamPaaDaeng.jpg

EntranceofThamPaaDaeng2.jpg

I did try to explore the area a bit but as there are tracks and trails going everywhere you'll really need a local guide to "find your way around"
IMG_8986.jpg

So, after this more or less failed visit, it was downhill again to Thung Chang and the "Civil, Police, Soldier" monument along Rd 101 (formerly known as Rd. 1080) at N19.37306 E100.87453
IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

and the Infantryman Museum or the Museum of Military of Thung Chang District a bit further to the north at N19.37511 E100.87404. Unfortunately, the museum was closed and there was no one around. I did manage to take a peek through the windows to see what it was all about - lots of small photographs and a few weapons but not much else.

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

To be continued

LR, as we discussed these are the threads that I do read with great interest.
Too bad that the Thai people learn little of this recent history and it is sad that these museums are closed, some indefinitely.

Would be great to get some Thai historians onboard to unlock some doors and dig way deeper!

Excellent work, as always, Auke.

Thanks so much for sharing as always Auke, your investigative reporting makes good reading.

Ally

Part 2 - Some additional information to what I mentioned in Post 1 of this thread about the "Civil, Police, Soldier" or Sacrificial monument or also known as the "Heroes of Pho To Thung Chang Monument" and the Infantry-man Museum or the Museum of Military of Thung Chang District

Thung Chang Sacrificial Monument and Thung Chang Military Museum were constructed to commemorate those who died fighting against the communist insurgency also known as the "Pho Ko Kho". The monument lists the names of the fallen by whether they were soldiers, police or civilians. Their Majesties the King and the Queen attended and conducted the opening ceremony, as well as, placed the wreaths at the monument on 10 February, 1976. Therefore, this date of every year is considered the memorial day when wreaths have been presented and a merit making ceremony has been organised for the heroes up until at present.

The Thung Chang Military Museum displays military weapons for further knowledge and study. Admission is free and the museum is open from 9.00 am till 4.00 pm but you will need to ask permission to visit the museum - Phone 054-795121

After Tung Chang I set off for my next destination via Rd 101 (Rd 1080), Rd 1081 and Rd 1307 to Ban Nam Ri Phattana and the Phu Phayak Monument/Ban Rao Museum, the Phu Phayak Royal project (coordinates: N19.50741 E101.21247) and the former Head Quarters of the Communist Party of Thailand at Camp 708

Proud former soldier/fighter of the CPT
Formersoldier.jpg

=========================================
The Phu Phayak Monument sometimes also called the Ban Rao Museum (based upon Thai Museums Database

The monument was officially opened on December 11, 2005 by the then Prime Minister and former Supreme Commander of the Royal Thai Armed Forces General Surayud Chulanon. By the way, General Surayud was the son of Lt. Col. Phayom Chulanon and though he credits his father for instilling a sense of duty in him, he was forced to break with him when he was a teenager. His father abandoned the army around 1957 and joined the Communist Party of Thailand (CPT) where later he became a member of the Central Committee of the CPT which was based at Camp 708 (see Phayom Chulanont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and The kingdoms communist connection | The Courier-Mail

Father (left) and son (right)
books
Surayud_black_beret.jpg

The completion of the monument was due to the collective efforts of the Lawa and Hmong ethnic people, the Khun Nan Tambon Administration Organization, state agencies in the province and ex-communists involved in ideological battles in the area. The objectives of the establishment were to honor deceased ex-communists for the peace and happiness of the public, to open a historical stand point for these comrades and to look to the future so that compromise and cooperation between local people and state agencies will bring to this marginal land progress, peace and happiness.

The People's History Building
IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg

The monument consists of two exhibition buildings. The People's History building is a one-storey concrete structure. In the middle of the hall, there is a cylindrical concrete block design. There are shelves of the ashes of deceased comrades along the inner walls, while their names are written on the outer walls.
PPMM1.jpg

PPMM4.jpg

The Hmong-Lawa Ethnic building is a two-storey structure. The ground floor displays histories and cultures of the two ethnic groups, divided into two parts. The first part exhibits tools and utensils used for the battle, e.g., clothes, pictures, field medical equipment, pots and pans, kettles, typewriters, radios and grenades. The second part models houses of the ethnic groups with their household and livelihood utensils so that visitors can better understand their cultural ways of life. Most of the items were donated by former comrades and the ethnic peoples. The second floor is a model of a meeting room of the People's Council. The room is designed for practical purposes so that the locals can use it as a vocational training center.

The Hmong-Lawa Ethnic building to the right of the People's History Building

IMG_9070.jpg

PPMM3.jpg

A few pictures taken before and during the opening ceremony in 2005 (Photographers unknown)

WelcometoPhuPhayak.jpg

Posterdisplay1atPhuPhayakMuseum.jpg

Posterdisplay2atPhuPhayakMuseum.jpg

Former soldier pointing at himself when he was considerable younger

ThenandNow.jpg

Lady offering prayers for a deceased relative

Prayersforadepartedchild.jpg

2005 - Starting the walk up to Camp 708 - Headquarters of the Communist Party of Thailand

Startofthewalkuptothecamp.jpg

2014 The dirt trail is now paved all the way to the camp

Concreteroaduptothe708Camp.jpg

To be contrinued

Thanks Auke, fascinating stuff,looking forward to the next chapter.

Part 3 - Seem to be getting older as I forgot to include a stop in Ban Huay Kon (the border crossing to Mueang Ngeun in Laos) and the Ban Huai Kon Kao Battlefield Memorial (Coordinates N19.57180 E101.07358).

Actually the Memorial is in Chaloem Prakiat just south of the border crossing point and well worth a stop if you are into these things. The Huai Kon Kao Battlefield Memorial was originally an operational base of the Third Infantry Battalion of the Thai Army - The Kings Guards - see also Royal Guards (Thailand) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. This area used to be a battlefield between Thai government and communist insurgents in 1970's and is best known for a battle which took place on 9 April, 1975 when some 200 Communist Insurgents (Pho Ko Kho) attacked this post where 69 soldiers were stationed at that time. This battle resulted in the loss of life for 17 soldiers and an unknown number of the Communist insurgents but the Thai soldiers managed to hold the base. After the war between the Thai Army and the CPT stopped, the base was preserved as a historical memorial on the fight of different political ideologies. The memorial is open from 9.00 am till 5.00 pm. (Contact: 054-710-321, 054-713-324)

Some pictures of the Ban Huai Kon Kao Battlefield Memorial (Copyright by Sonsue)

HuayKonbySonsue.jpg

TrenchesatHuayKonbySonsue.jpg

So, back to Base 708 of the CPT and it is now an easy although very steep ride up to reach it

Concreteroaduptothe708Camp.jpg

IMG_9057.jpg

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9059.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9062.jpg

Waterpoweredricemortar.jpg

Caves in the hill side at Camp 708 but quite a few of these are now a bit overgrown so I'll include a few pictures from the time the Memorial was opened (copyright of these pictured by Vicky)
IMG_9065.jpg

ManMadeCaveat708.jpg

ManMadeCaveat7082.jpg

Nice views from up here at the camp
IMG_9063.jpg

The Phu Phayak Royal Project

IMG_9064.jpg

The Thai Army still has a base down there in the valley

IMG_9067.jpg

The road from Ban Nam Ri Phattana to Rd 1081 is badly potholed so watch out where you ride. As it was getting later I headed back to Nan for another pleasant but short evening at Tony's Place due to the curfew of 10.00 pm till 5.00 am which had been announced that same day.

A very pleasant ride along Rd 1081 although this road has also quite a few potholes in particular at the northernmost end. The views towards Laos

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

Erosion in the fields along Rd 1081 - wonder how this will look like after the rainy season

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9083.jpg

IMG_9084.jpg

Destroyed bridge over the Nan River close to the origin of this river

IMG_9088.jpg

IMG_9089.jpg

The views from Rd 1256 and a dirt road linking Rd 1081 and 1256

IMG_9098.jpg

Wat Somdet Phra Muni Si Phu Kha along Rd 1256 near the Doi Phu Kha National Park HQ

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9111.jpg

and the sunset from here at the end of another trip tracing the recent history of Thailand

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

Back
Top Bottom