Another Mapping Trip - this time a loop via Hot, Mae Sariang and back via Khun Yuam a

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Another Northern Thai map update trip - this time an over-nighter as I was meeting the guys in Mae Sariang who were going to try their luck on an offroad ride to the west to the Salween river and back. Stayed the night at the Black Ant Resort (http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ariang-accommodation-guest-houses-hotels.html) and after GPSing some of the new places it was time for dinner with the guys at the Khrua Kan Eng at Laeng Phanit Rd. (N18.16392 E97.93125)

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

Eventhough the food was quite spicy, there were no leftovers and a good evening was had by all.

IMG_2650.jpg

Next morning saw the guys off, first at the starting point at the PTT fuel station and then accompanied them to the gate of the Salween National Park on Rd 4011.

IMG_2653.jpg

3 KTM's and a Honda ready to take off - and take-off they did with wheelies much to the admiration of the guards at the gate.

Once they were gone it was back to the nitty-gritty of looking for new places to add to the map like for-instance the:

IMG_2667.jpg

The Good View Guesthouse on Laeng Phanit Rd.

IMG_2673.jpg

Chok Wasana Guesthouse also at Laeng Phanit Rd.

IMG_2669.jpg

The Tamarind Grand Resort on Mae Sariang Rd.

The trip back from Mae Saraing to Chiangmai brought me to Khun Yuam and from there to Mae Cheam and the waterfalls in the Doi Inthanon National Park.

Along the way in Khun Yuam I met Khun Jieb from the Khun Yuam Resort and he invited me to have a look at his place which is about 4 km. south-west of Khun Yuam in Ban Tor Phae.

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Rooms and bungalows at Khun Yuam Resort - Magnificent views but a bit out in the bush. Rooms were quoted at 700 Baht and the bungalows which sleep 8-10 people were said to be 3000 Baht per night.

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

Wat Muai To in Khun Yuam

IMG_2691.jpg

Somewhere along the road from Khun Yuam to Mae Chaem

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

Working Elephants near Ban Pang Ung

IMG_2699.jpg

View towards Mae Cheam from the viewpoint at N18.70759 E98.26230

IMG_2700.jpg

There are a view newish hotels and guesthouses just outside Mae Chaem along Rd 1192 which goes up Doi Inthanon. The Huean Raem Chaem Mueang shown here as well as a few others like the Ban View Ngam and Ban Mon Mai Ngam, etc.

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

Higher up Doi Inthanon it got a bit misty but once on the way down near the Doi Inthanon National park Head Quarters the sun came out again.

IMG_2708.jpg

The Siri Phum Falls

IMG_2713.jpg

The "Rong Thao Nari Inthanon Wild Orchid Conservation Project" on Rd. 1284

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

The road (1284) had caved in at several places

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

Lovely pics Auke. Always refreshing to see the elephants working traditionally as opposed to zoo's and elephant camps. Seeing them wandering around free would of course be the best, but in this day of diminishing habitat that sadly is getting rare indeed.

The pic of the winding road in the misted tree's has a feel of serenity. The state that draws most of us on our trips I feel.

Very rare to see working elephants in north Thailand now, nice photo's. Plenty of new data for the north Thailand GPS map, so many new guest houses popping up in that region, quite amazing.

Nice report Auke, thank you and Hi!

Did you meet the caretaker of the "Rong Thao Nari Inthanon Wild Orchid Conservation Project" and did you see the Flintstone Style bungalows behind the lake? Have enjoyed our stay there twice in the past years, with visiting friends and family. We rented the rock cabins at 900 Baht each, renting 2 and then 3 of them, and this was a local rate as each time we were quoted more. The caretakers arranged for a couple of ladies the cooked local dishes for us at a very minimal charge also. One highlight, beside being a cool base to explore Doi Inthanon from, the lodge there offers a deck with a wonderful view that is, in my opinion, is one of the best places to raise some wine glasses in all of Thailand.

My oldest daughter not quite sure of the accommodation we are checking in to;

100_2820.JPG

Nice surroundings and no need for fan or air conditioning at this altitude;

100_2819.JPG

100_2825.JPG

Highly recommended, but the number I had for the project no longer works as of last month I've been told.

Cheers

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the additional info on the orchid conservation project. When I was there the place was all locked up but, as it was past four o'lock in the afternoon, I assumed they had closed down for the day. Next time I am there I will check it out - not only the lodging facilities but also their work with orchids as that was why I went to look for the place. Indeed no air conditioning needed as it was chilly in particular with the fog coming up at that time.

Great report. Thanks for sharing. I really become a very good overview and ideas for our trip by end of the year. Very helpfull for our route plannings.

@ Fishenough

Can you provide me an email or Internet address of that place with the Flintstone Cabins. Would be great for our trip to stop there.:p

The phone numbers I had are no longer valid for the caretaker, but call the national park, royal forest department for assistance - 025797223, 025795734, 025614293 Ext 724 or 725. Numbers found quickly with a web search.

Happy travels

Back
Top Bottom