Another mapping trip this time in the North of Laos

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Another of my mapping trips so again not really a trip report but just some random pictures. This time my target area for this trip was the northwest of Laos (northwest of Hongsa) as I had not been there for quite some time. I entered at the Huay Khon/Mueang Ngeun border crossing (north of Nan) and left Laos by taking the ferry from Huayxay to Chiangkhong. What bothers me sometime during my numerous crossings from Thailand to Laos and back that almost every border crossing point in Thailand has its own requirements while the Lao side is so much more uniform in terms of what documents are required. On the Thai side you need to fill in the TM 2, TM 3 and TM 4.

- In addition to these forms, the Nongkhai to Vientiane crossing does not require any photocopy but they need to see the International Transport Permit (ITP or the purple book which is a translation of the blue/green Registration book)
- Huay Khon (Nan) needs these documents while both Immigration and Customs want to have photocopies of the passport, the Blue Registration Book (of my truck) as well as photocopies of the ITP.
- Other crossings sometimes want photocopies of particular pages and sometimes want copies of other pages so you never really know what they need/want.

- On the Lao side, just show your passport and the ITP and they will print out the Temporary Import Permit (the green form) and that is it.

The Hongsa Power Plant is progressing well and the roads leading to Laos and Hongsa are busy with a lot of trucks plying the route from Nan to the border and back. Heavy transport is only allowed to be during night time so generally there are no major delays.

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

One of the heavy transports being readied for the trip to Hongsa. Not sure what "No Humping" means which was printed on the side of, what I assume, is a pressure vessel.

IMG_3650.jpg

Guess the driver of the rig and his co-drivers have their work cut out for them in these sharp and steep corners

IMG_3653.jpg
IMG_3655.jpg

The lignite fired Hongsa Power Plant being built at the moment and the guys who are building the power-lines are hacking out new tracks to construct the pylons

After crossing the border my first stop was Hongsa as I had to deliver some supplies for the Jumbo GH and to have a look at the baby elephant which was born a week earlier or so in Ban Viengkeo a few km. west of Hongsa. Unfortunately, the owner of the elephant had decided to raise the price to have a look from 70,000 Kip (agreed with the Tourism Department) to 100, 000 Kip (close to 400 Baht) so in the end we (four people) decided to stay home and have a cold one instead.

View attachment 14975View attachment 14976
Pictures by Monica from the Jumbo Guest House in Hongsa

The next morning, after some map updating in and around Hongsa, I set off for Luang Nam Tha via Pakbeng. My original plan - to head west to Mueang Khop and then north along the Mekong to HuayXay - was no longer viable as I had spent to much time around Hongsa and as a result I would have to do part of the trip in the dark something which did not appeal to me as the track along the Mekong is single lane with steep drop-offs into the Mekong.

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

There are lots of ferries at the Mekong crossing to Pakbeng but, their days here may be numbered also as the construction of a bridge over the Mekong has started.

IMG_3680.jpg

New resort being constructed on the hill overlooking Pakbeng and the Mekong

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

Along the road from Pakbeng to Oudomxay as well as other areas in the north of Laos the Chinese are busy to grow lots of vegetables and fruit for export to China

IMG_3682.jpg

This Chinese trailer truck did not quite make it to China as it tipped over on Road 2W.

IMG_3728.jpg

This was not the only truck which did not make it all the way. At the Huayxay to Chiangkhong ferry crossing a Thai truck was being transported home after it crashed with a load of mangosteen fruit bound for China

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

The old French Fort in Muang Sing - the sign said No Photos so I shot a few quickies from inside the car.

IMG_3704.jpg

A new wat and stupa near Mueang Long

IMG_3708.jpg

The Xiengkok Resort in Xiengkok - from a distance it looked nice.

IMG_3709.jpg

The Xiengkok Customs and Immigration point

IMG_3710.jpg

Traditional style home west of Xiengkok.

IMG_3712.jpg

View of Xiengkok from the south (road 2203)

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

This boat did not make as it hit the rocks while trying to find its way through the rocks in the river.

IMG_3715.jpg

Most of the road along the Mekong was quite dry and only a few spots were muddy - here the mud was axle deep and I needed 4WD to get through

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

The stupa at Wat Xiengdao on the Mekong and its stupa climbing goats

IMG_3729.jpg

Crossing the Mekong by ferry in Huayxay - there was just a little space left for my truck and a Chinese Pajero with his bonnet under the container.

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

Lots of Chinese cars crossing from Thailand to Laos and lots more waiting to go to Laos and home

IMG_3737.jpg

It would have been quite interesting watching this happen

IMG_3713.jpg

Nice story LR ..all very interesting, love the baby elephant.

Back
Top Bottom