Aerial Video using RC's (FPV)

Phantom 3 announced

The Phantom 3 is DJI's aerial vision more fully realized: A tiny quadcopter drone with a professional-grade camera, endless configurability, user-friendly polish, and a price tag that won't require a new credit card.
A few years ago only nerdy hobbyists took to the skies with UAVs. But with its entry-level Phantom drones, DJI has been gradually chipping away at the technical and financial barriers that keep normal folks away. The original Phantom was basically a flying platform you could mount a GoPro on. Cool, but niche. It wasn't until the Phantom 2 Vision that DJI started to get serious about outfitting its UAVs with its own cameras. With these cameras, DJI also started developing a sophisticated app for monitoring the footage you were shooting and tweaking settings. With the Phantom 3 the app and camera get totally supercharged.
The Phantom 3 comes in two flavors: Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 3 Advanced. The main difference here is the camera. The Professional version shoots 4K footage at 30 fps, while the Advanced shoots at 1920 x 1080 resolution at up to 60 fps. The Professional costs $1250, or $1350 packaged with an extra battery. The Advanced costs just $1000 or $1100 with an extra battery. (Battery life is rated at about 23 minutes of flight time.)

Sure, the Phantom 3 models aren't insanely cheap, especially compared to competitors like the Iris+ from 3DR, which costs just $750. But DJI does a whole hell of a lot to make their Phantom line chock-full of features that can make the extra cost worthwhile, especially for beginners. And the Phantom 3 has more of them than ever at a lower price.

DJI has dramatically improved its camera technology over the last few years. We started to see the fruits this a few months ago with the 4K camera on the company's new professional grade Inspire 1 drone. The Phantom 3 Professional has essentially the same camera, except that unlike the Inspire 1, you can't remove it.

swftnyzbhzakruxx8aqj.jpg

Available pre-order in Thailand

http://www.phantomthailand.com/

looks like the Phantom 3 has "follow me" Capabilities a feature we've all been waiting for:

You can also access a few autopilot modes. The drones will take off and return to you all by themselves, and there's a low-battery mode that automatically returns to its takeoff point so that it doesn't fall out of the sky—its 4480 mAh battery is rated for 23 minutes of flight time. An SDK is available for programming your own "follow me" commands, and other modes too.

New $1,300 Drone Sports 4K Video and Ultrasound Navigation | WIRED

It looks a very complete package for the price.

However, it doesn't have auto-follow functionality out of the box, you (or more likely a developer) have to develop your own app using their DJI Software Development Kit. This isn't as easy as it sounds, ask the team at Airdog.

My other reservation is the sheer bulk. The props still don't appear to be folding, so along with the necessary remote controller the drone package, like the Phantom 2 pictured below, is too large for many.

DJI_zpsbdkvk4m1.jpg

I've bought the Phantom 3. Well, two of them actually... gave one to my elder son for his ride later this month in the Mongol Rally http://themongolroos.myfreesites.net/when-and-where

The Advanced was in short supply, so got the Professional, the 4K version. Here's the first flight

I'm mucking around with scratchbuilt ones at present too.

Re the props... they come off the Phantom quite easily. 30 seconds and they're on or off. Storage is still a problem.... and that's why I'm looking at the scratchbuilt, folding ones.

Shits getting real serious..

Shits getting real serious..

Sounds as amazing as its price (x5r is 8,000usd)! Great professional setup. Still think you can get a cheaper drone, stick a goPro and also film in raw protune to get almost similar video quality.

Check this clip out from last weekend, filmed with a goPro 3, just contrast / brightness adjustments. Now stick that on any drone with a gimbal and you a decent quality for much cheaper.

But it's the lenses with micro 4\3rds..

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom