Aerial Video using RC's (FPV)

The Bluetooth Data Link and Ground Station for the PC is also amazing. Can be used on an iPad too but the PC version has a lot more bells and whistles.

2.4ghz_datalink_bt.jpg

Fatshark Attitude FPV goggles should be here soon. Ive got the IOSD mini fitted but need the goggles or monitor.

1720-1.jpg

This monitor seems to get best reviews and has a built in battery.

hqdefault.jpg

The Phantom really is a cool piece of equipment. Many thanks to Rudeboy for the recommendation...awesome!!

If you fit a GoPro on the Phantom - what transmitter do you need for the GoPro to view on a ground monitor?

If you fit a GoPro on the Phantom - what transmitter do you need for the GoPro to view on a ground monitor?

If you buy Fatshark goggles they come with the Tx and its own little camera, however you dont use that and just hook it up to the go pro.

Doing a bit of research now and there a some comments that a GoPro isnt ideal for this application as it has a short focus length, so things will not be clear when shooting from the Phantom, is there any merit to this?

Just found this on linking the Phantom to the goggles

[video=youtube_share;KzpT_A9K-18]http://youtu.be/KzpT_A9K-18[/video]

Chiang Rai circuit.

Here is my first half decent video.

FPV should arrive next week

Ally

Very professional looking Ally. Music/transitions working well together.

Thanks Johnny, getting there slowly ;)

Learning so much & very very fast!

I would love to have had sun, less wind and fpv when I flew this video.

The hedgework in the lower downstairs area would be great from above as an all in one shot but for the life of me, without fpv I just couldn't line it up & wasted an age of battery life.

Ally

555555, looks like your all getting hooked!!! Welcome to the very addictive hobby that is FPV, warn your bank managers now!!!! I see a Chaing Mai FPV meet in the future;)

Johny and Ally, very good videos especially with the short amount of time you have been flying,

Phil, the phantom can only really carry the gopro and I've never heard anyone mention the short focal length and have seen some very amazing videos, if your looking to go bigger then be prepared to spend a lot more, I.e the z15 zenmuse gimbal that can carry a nex or gh3 etc is around 3grand alone and then needs the wookong or A2 flight controller which is another grand ish that's before you've even got your airframe, of course similar can be done for cheaper but as with everything you get what you pay for!!

Also here's my vid on hooking up the phantom, gopro 2 and FPV/goggles, I was one of the first in the uk to get the original phantom and I have been told I was the first in the uk to FPV it.

Also here's my vid on hooking up the phantom, gopro 2 and FPV/goggles, I was one of the first in the uk to get the original phantom and I have been told I was the first in the uk to FPV it.
[video=youtube_share;iHqpKrrvH9M]http://youtu.be/iHqpKrrvH9M[/video]

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqpKrrvH9M

Thanks very much RudeBoy for the video. Things / details have changed in so many little ways, very interesting.

Sods law, today the sun came out & I can see blue sky but I have couple of meetings today that mean I cannot get the bird out until later this afternoon. I hope the sun stays out !

Glad you liked the video, as said in another forum, I enjoyed post flight almost as much as the flight itself !

Ally

Yes Ally it's a little different now to what it was when I made that video, this industry has really exploded over the last year or so with new tech coming out almost daily, the possibilities really are endless not just for aerial photography but 3d mapping, surveys, agriculture etc, etc....

the video editing part is my downfall really, I enjoy the building and flying and spend very little time on editing, selecting correct music and stuff,

Hoping to get some flights with the tbs disco pro next week so will hopefully have some new video to put up then, gonna spend more time and brush up my editing skills a bit more and also try to plan my flights a little more to get the shots I want instead of just blasting around the skies like I normally do.

Sound like floats might be a good idea:

Adrian was flying his Phantom near a MX track, lost sight of it and it crashed into a canal. He went looking for it walking around in the canal neck deep, some Thai chaps went to help but no sign of it, he thinks he had about 50,000 Bht invested in it. He offered the Thai guys 2,000 bht if they found it.

The next day the Thai chaps found it and wanted 5,000 bht reward, Adrian was in 2 minds if it was worth it as it had spent 24 hours under the water.

I think MR. Sneds has something happen with his too.

Looks like the next step for those who want to film action but without the hassle of flying the drone is this kind of gadgets; this looks pretty amazing I bet there will be loads of those in the future:

Edit: guess it's the same as the one LivingLOS posted...

Edit2: Here is another one, also on kickstarter:

It seems like the later has far more features...
It has a "AirLeach" that is water proof and connects up to 300m, this is much better than the hexo who connects only to a smartphone. Also they are developing a obstacle avoidance add-on as well:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...o-follow-action-sports-dron#project_faq_93842

not so good to hear about the lads phantom, after 24 hours in the water I'm thinking it will be a total loss but you never know, the thing is with most of the electrics onboard they are very low current so maybe ok, his esc's and battery will be dead for sure and more than likely his gopro also but would be worth rinsing the rest in clean fresh water and leaving to dry out for a while.

What issues is Johny having?

I'm back in the Uk at the mo for work but managed to get a few flights the yesterday with my TBS Discovery Pro, first one gives a slightly different camera view.

Second one I flew out 2.5kms and back with perfect video picture all the way, have a few gimbal issues with the hoizon drift but will play with the settings and hopefully get it sorted.

The quad lost control for some reason I don't know, fluttered down from about 100mtrs into some trees. Unfortunately the only small stream below the trees approx 1 mtr wide and the quad found it. It took me about half an hour to find it, when I did it was upside down completely submerged apart from the gopro (lucky-ish).
Flushed with fresh water, cleaned and dried and it's all working again.
Cant explain the loss of control, it's happened twice now. First time I had someone's smart phone strapped to it and I thought the wifi might have interfered with the signal. Second time descending from a great height and lost control twice during that decent. I'm now thinking I might have been coming down too fast.

Hi Johny, glad its still working, I'm sure you already have but be sure to redo all your calibrations, GPS and advanced IMU,

Yes wifi can interfere with the control signal if its switched on right next to the quad so also make sure you have your gopro wifi switched off, think of it this way, your quad has the reciever and if your gopro wifi or phone as you mentioned is switched on then its a transmitter and the further away you get from your quad then the weaker your control signal will get so therefore the wifi being transmitted from gopro or phone swamps the control signal.

On another note never use the gopro wifi with yur phone for FPV as there is about a 1 or 2 second lag so by the time you see something on your phone screen you will more than likely have already crashed into it.

With descending if your coming straight down then your coming down through your own prop wash which makes it very unstable, if needing to descend fast its always better to keep some forward motion or do small circles.

With descending if your coming straight down then your coming down through your own prop wash which makes it very unstable, if needing to descend fast its always better to keep some forward motion or do small circles.

i believe this could be the issue. When it happened it seemed to go into a crazy downward fluttering.

I made sure gopro wifi was off. I have the Bluetooth module fitted for the ground station. CJI say this is ok.

Everything was re-calibrated after the sploosh. Since I've had 3-4 flights an no further episodes. I now take my time when descending and as you mention some forward input rather than hammering it towards the ground like Tom Cruise in Top Gun, seems to work! I've removed the prop protectors incase they have been affecting the stability.

cool mate, hopefully she'll be right ;-)

A wee tip: if your trying to get a descending shot, try doing the same shot going straight up if its possible then reverse it in post/editing.

One thing I noticed with the video. When the quad is rotated, even after I've lowered the gain and turn slow, the video appears "jerky". I tried upping the frame rate but it still looks crap when you do a rotate. Any ideas how to make the video smooth during rotation?

Are you in GPS or ATTI mode? Perhaps there is some struggling to stay in situ with the GPS?

I turn very slowly and if there is any wind, you hear the motors taking it and if in GPS mode, I am more aware of minor vibrations (jello).

Hunting Thailand for a ND filter & lense hood too ;)

Ally

I think it's something to do with the video or maybe my eyes! I can see it turning smooth but the video looks clunky. Maybe my computer? But why would going up and down look smooth!

I think it's something to do with the video or maybe my eyes! I can see it turning smooth but the video looks clunky. Maybe my computer? But why would going up and down look smooth!

Have you got any kind of in camera anti shake or stability options on that model gopro ?? As thats exactly what happens if you leave in camera IS (image stabalization) on when panning a video shot with digital cameras ?

Tech Specs
Format: H.264, .mp4
Video Effective Pixels (k): 12MP
Focus: Auto
Frame Rate: 12-120fps
Maximum Frame Rates: 120fps @ 720p, 240fps @ 480p WVGA
Minimum Frame Rate: 12fps (not including photo burst modes)
Lens: f/2.8 6-element aspherical glass
Program Exposure Modes: Auto
Optical Zoom: No
Focal Length: Fixed
Image Stabilization: No
Manual White Balance: Yes
Display: GoPro App via smart device, iPad or LCD Touch BacPac (79.99)
Progressive Scan: Yes
Resolutions: 840x480, 1280x960, 2716x1440, 2716x1524, 4096x2160, 3840x2160, 1920x1440, 1280x720, 1920x1080
Video Out: Micro HDMI
Stereo Recording: Stereo on camera mic
Microphone In: 1/8", 3.5mm stereo mic adapter (sold separately), Mono, 48kHz, AAC compression w/AGC
VU Meters: No
Manual Audio Level Controls: No
Headphone Jack: No
Speaker: No
Media: microSD class 10 or higher required, up to 64GB capacity supported.
Flash: No
Wireless Remote: Yes
External Battery Charger Provided: No
Battery Type: 1050mAh rechargeable lithium-ion
Onboard Video Light: No
Accessory Shoe: No
Field of View: Narrow (90°), Medium (127°), and Ultra Wide (170°)
Still Resolutions: 12MP, 7MP, 5MP
Burst: 30 photos per second
Continuous Photo: 3, 5, 10 photos per second
Time-lapse: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals
Simultaneous Photo + Video: 12MP + 1440p 24 fps, 8MP + 1080p 30 fps 8, 8MP + 720p 60 fps

Super smooth work..

Full screen.. 1080 it..

Hey Johnny I've noticed similar on some of my vids but only in the raw footage, it seems to disappear after editing, I'm thinking its just my computer but as you say it seems strange that its only when yawing, flying Atti certainly helps for smoother video also as the FC isn't constantly trying to make tiny corrections.

This could also be the Gimbal as I've read reports the the yaw axis on the H3-3D gimbal isnt as smooth as it could be, I'm not familiar with the gimbals settings but maybe there is something in there that can smooth out the yaw of the gimbal.

Talking with Glenn who lives in Singapore & is pretty techy, he says that people in Singapore are using high-end, Canon, mini, digital video camera's instead of GoPro's to capture video attached to a FPV. They say that it captures better quality video. I'll try find out which model of Canon video camera they are using.

A lot of countries have laws controlling the use of drones. Until the Thai laws are actually introduced we won't know how restrictive they will be.

Back
Top Bottom