Aerial Video using RC's (FPV)

Rudeboy

Bikes
Yamaha Raptor 700se Quad, Suzuki DRZ400sm
Hey folks, seen as there's quite a few good photographers etc on here then I thought some may be interested in my other hobby which is Aerial Video using RC quadcopters (drones as some people like to call them), I do what is called FPV (First Person View) flying where the video is transmitted back to the ground and viewed on video goggles that I wear or on a screen so other people can also view the flight live,

Most of the video gear is taken from the wireless security cam industry and then bossted somewhat to give longer range etc, one of my rigs is capable of flying 5km plus from where I am standing and some guys that are using RC Planes/Gliders have flown in excess of 50km's, its the batteries that limits the flight times on the quadcopters with 10-15mins being around the normal sort of flight times,

Movie companies and Top gear being probably the most famous are also using this technology although there using equipment that cost's into the tens of thousands of pounds where as my basic set ups cost around £1000 but it can be done for much cheaper, the industry has taken off this last year with everyone trying to make a quick buck so to speak and because of this the Authorities such as FAA & CAA are now looking into it which may ruin it for a hobbyist such as myself but we will see.

anyway here's a pic 2 of my copters and some video from them,

if you want to see more then by all means check out my Youtube Page or Facebook Page, search for Rudeboys FPV,

If anyone wants more info then feel free to shout up and I'll do my best.

This one is a Team Black Sheep Discovery Quadcopter, it has 2 camera's fitted, the smaller camera (FPV Camera) on the right is what I see through and is the picture to my goggles, the other is a gopro which is in a gyro stabilised gimbal so no matter which way the copter is leaning the camera remains level, it can also be adjusted manually from my controller on the ground to tilt up or down, it also has a camera switcher so I can switch from FPV cam to gopro live out to make sure I'm getting exactly what I'm trying to record.

This one is my Sky Hero Spyder X8, it is a lot bigger and has 8 Props 4 above 4 below working in a coaxial configuration, it can easily carry a Sony NEX type camera and being coaxial is very very stable and can be flown in higher wind conditions.

Some video, this ones from the Discovery from the local Lotus Gardens.

And here's the Spyder on its maiden test flight

This is from one of my Night Vision Rigs which basically is kitted out with Infra Red LED's and the onboard cam has had the IR Filter removed, this also lets you see the info I see in the goggles, all my rigs have and On Screen Display (OSD) and GPS which relays back info like height, speed, distance from take off point, battery powery and control signal strength as well as a few other things.

I hope its okay to post this and if its in the wrong section then feel free to move it, also if you do a search on youtube for FPV you'll find lots and lots of video's some of the guys out there are doing some spectacular video's thats far better than mine,

and as I said if you want to more then feel free to either comment on here or drop me a pm.

A friend of mine was doing this for real estate videos on the mega money villas.. Part of the sales spiel and upselling his services.. Theres quite a chunk of change at 3 - 5% commission on those multi million dollar villas down south !!

Nice....a guy has done some good ones around CM...

LivinLOS, yep a lot of Real Estate agents are getting in on it and its one of the FAA's big crackdowns in the states as there quite a bit of cash to be made, although there was quite a high profile courtcase (FPV wise) in the US recently where one of the founders of Team Black Sheep was being charged $10'000 for endangering people whilst flying and doing it for commercial gains, the FAA were saying it was illegal to fly "drones" for commercial gain in the US but a high court judge ruled that there are no laws governing the use of drones whether used for commercial or non commercial means, this has opened the flood gates so to speak and now the FAA is being pressuried into coming up with some legislation quickly,

For instance you can buy a DJI phantom ready to fly strap a gopro to it and be in the air in minutes making half decent video's with no previous RC experience for less then £800, this is where the problems are coming as lots of people are doing this and dont think to do some homework on there machine or flight controller used, lots of people reporting fly aways where the craft just takes off on its own never to be seen again if there lucky or if unlucky into someones house/car etc etc, as you can imaging 4 x 8" or bigger carbon props spinning at several thousand rpm can do some damage and mostly its the pilots fault because they haven't calibrated the gyro or GPS or set home position before taking off.

In the UK its different we already have regulations on using them commercially and to do so you need to attend a Pilots/training course called a BNUCs, also all your rigs have to be examined and given an ID number similar to full size aircraft, you also need to do risk assesments, flight plans etc etc for every paid assisgnment, kind of takes the fun out of it, not sure what/if there are any rules/regulations on them over here in Thailand, people have been trying to get around doing the BNUCs by saying there only charging for the ground photo's and the aerial stuff is free but the CAA have wised up to this and their have been a few folk charged lately doing this sort of thing.

Its getting to be a big Industry and there is lots of money to be made thats for sure, think I'll just stick to being a hobbyist though, I have done a few videos and photos for mates but only charged them a few beers so would this be classed as commercial gain?? 555

Being honest mate I wouldnt, I had one and there rubbish, spend a little more and get yourself a DJI phantom 2, much better machine and far more capable than the AR drone, with the drone your limited by your phone's wifi capability which if lucky will be about 50metres and you'll soon see that its not enough.

Also with the phantom you can upgrade as you get better by adding the FPV gear, stabilised gopro gimbal etc etc and you really can get some awesome stuff with the phantom not too mention about 20minute flight times.

RudeBoy this is weird

After watching the selfie stick youtube video yesterday i went off on a tangent to look at CMFlying.com and loads of other people talking about this right now.

The 8mesfromhome guys are doing good stuff with this

I will end up buying something and already appreciate your valued guidance regarding research.

Thanks so much for kicking this off here, perfect timing ;)

Ally

No prbs Ally, happy to help and offer any advice needed and if I cant then I can point you in the right direction of someone who can, if you take a look at this video from a mate of mine in the UK this is the DJI phantom 2 with the DJI Zenumse H3-3D Gimbal and gopro, this whole set up is about the cheaperst and best bang for buck set up out at the moment you can then add vour video gear/FPV kit as you need, the results really are quite stunning and if I didnt happen to have as much stuff as i already do then this would be on my list to buy, good thing with the phantom is its probably small enough that with props removed it would fit in most motorbike top boxes.

I know there are a few shops in BKK that carry the DJI stuff so I would guess there will be a few in Chaing Mai also, it really is an addictive hobby just take your time and do some research.

Indeed Chiang Mai has this shop

http://www.cmflying.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ChiangmaiRC/info

Screen Shot 2557-05-26 at 15.00.41.jpg

That video of the tractor is cool.

Ally

Ally that is the phantom 2 vision, I would advise against that and go for the phantom 2 with zenmuse H3-3D gimbal, not the vision, again the vision is limited by your phones wifi capabilities which is not that far, also it uses 5.8ghz for control signal which is excellent if in open areas but go behind a tree or similar and your control signal will drop out, the normal phantom 2 uses 2.4 for control which is far better then you can choose your own video gear, also the camera on the vision is fixed and only able to rotate up and down.

DJI Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal, RTF Quadcopter from FirstPersonView.co.uk

Thanks for the heads up RudeBoy, plenty of research needed I think & whats more, even before that great day of attaching a camera, lots of fun trying to get it to fly ! eg - walk before running ;)

Ally

Yes the Phantom looks the nuts. I see from the link that Ally provided that the Phantom is wifi controlled.
Is yours controlled by RF, if so what's involved? ...thanks

A lot of those available, it looks like it's really coming now, more and more of those on the market. Here is another cheap one:

This can make amazing riding videos, see this one for example (starting 1:50):

the phantoms and anything really with a DJI Naza controller are easy to fly when in GPS Mode, the Naza flight controller has 3 modes, GPS which means if you centre both sticks it will stay relatively steady in one spot, ATTI which if the sticks are centred it will maintain the same height but it will drift in the wind and MANUAL, which is not for beginners basically the craft will not auto level and needs constant movement of the sticks for stable flight, all NAZA flight controllers also have return to home, which means if you get disorientated then you simply flick the swithch on your controller and it will fly itself back and land within a few feet of its take off point, it will also do this if failsafe is activated, ie you fly to far and your control signal drops out, providing you have set it up correctly.

Johny: the phantom Ally posted (Vision) is wifi controlled on the 5.8Ghz band and can only be flown with the supplied controller, it also transmits the video back to your smart phone on 2.4Ghz, as I said 5.8 is great in wide open spaces but useless in or around any obstacles, the phantom 2 which I posted is controlled on 2.4 which is what most RC use for control and is a lot better for control than 5.8.

My Set ups vary, for control I use Immersion RC UHF kit which transmits on 433 which is excellent for long range and around obstacles, this is a seperate transmitter unit that piggy backs onto my controller, for video I use all bands, I have a 1.2Ghz set up which is great around obstacles and I use this on my accrobatic quads, I also have 2.4ghz which i dont use so often and I use 5.8 video on my long range stuff as its a relatively uncluttered band and good for long distance in wide open areas, basically the lower the frequency the better penetration you will get, although the video quality suffers on the lower bands but is good enough.

Here's my controller, Futaba T10 with Immeresion RC UHF Transmitter piggybacked,

My FPV Goggles, these are fatshark dominators which have a built in Video receiver module which can be changed out to 5.8, 2.4 or 1.2 by simply swapping out the module,

My groundstation with Screen for long range, this again has an Immersion RC Diversity video receiver which is basically 2 receivers built into one, using 2 different antenna's, the smaller round one is a skew which in the right conditions will give me good video within a 1 km radius and the other one is a helical which will give me 5km+ but is more directional.

Ive been doing RC in some form or another for 20+ years now and all the money I've spent on FPV kit and rigs I probably could have bought that BM I was looking at the other day.. 555

It all depends on how much your willing to spend, I honestly dont recommend the phantom vision as you can pretty much only fly as far as 50-100mtrs before the video link to your phone will drop out, I would go for the phantom 2 then once you get used to flying then start adding FPV kit, gimbals etc and you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it, I know a few folk that bought the vision then the FPV bug bit and they soon sold them to upgrade to bigger and better as with the vision you cant really upgrade it in anyway.

On and once you get really good then you can fit a CC3D flight controller some superfast motors and start doing this sort of stuff

I had all my RC gear, some planes, a heli, and controllers nicked from the storage room under my villa in Patong.. All the hassle involved with importing it back then and I just never got back into it.

I had all my RC gear, some planes, a heli, and controllers nicked from the storage room under my villa in Patong.. All the hassle involved with importing it back then and I just never got back into it.

ah gutted for ye dude, i've only got about half my gear over here rest is still in UK but think i'd be the same if mine got nicked, too much money and time invested to start all over again.

Crikey RudeBoy, I have just had some amazing adventures on your youtube channel & images on your facebook. Incredible. The after dark flights are awesome.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Ally

So a buddy of mine whose given up on the hard drinking Angelese and Subic lifestyle.. In favor of beaches and diving just posted this from Bohol.

LOS, thanks for sharing that. Very nice.

CMFlying.com shop have DJI Phantom 2 @ 24,000 baht.They also have Futuba T10.

Ally

LOS, thanks for sharing that. Very nice.

CMFlying.com shop have DJI Phantom 2 @ 24,000 baht.They also have Futuba T10.

Ally

Ally- did that come everything needed for a quick start? You don't need to buy separate controller etc

Hi

Yes , just like all the phantom 2 packages you see on ebay etc

The controller looks naff, apparently it does what itsaya on the tin!

So thats what i will learn with and then buy the T10 for 6-7k

Ally

The MX GP in Pattaya this year, they were using a Lumix camera on theirs and trying to stream video. The video quality was bleached out, looks like they hadn't had time to play with it much.

1979881_10152688414413345_1680916112_n.jpg

13076682323_edfe1c3445_b.jpg

thats the DJI S800 with zenmuse gimbal, that whole set up will cost around 6-7grand UK, I had an S800 but sold it as it was prone to massive vibration problems, apperantly the later versions have sorted this out, there is now also the new S1000 which is an awesome bit of kit but again very costly,

The thing with streaming video is that the picture will never be as good as whats being recorded on the camera itself, DJI have recently released there lightbridge set up which can apperantly stream HD quality video.

Ally be careful before buying the T10 as with the phantom its not as simple as just buying a different controller (tx) and it will work, you will also need receiver (rx) and then have to replae the rx inside the phantom with the new one suited for the T10, the tx will also require setting up as well as the phantom using the dji naza software on your computer, check out thathpiguy on youtube he has done some great tutorials on the dji stuff.

I'm guessing the T10 is second hand as they dont make this model anymore also for 6-7k then I would snap it up as thats a great price, your lucky to find them on ebay for less than around 10k,

Johnny the phantom comes with everything required, controller, battery and charger, the stock charger is rubbish and one of your first buys should be a decent balance charger, also do some reading up on Lipo batteries and there charging and storage etc, also if you do buy a phantom it will for sure be your quickest way of getting in the air but dont just buy charge and fly or you may see your nice new phantom just fly off into the distance, be sure to check out the dji tutorials and calibrate controller, compass etc and allow home position to be set before take off and get to understand what the different LED flashes mean, DJI advertise it as ready to fly but in this hobby there is no such thing as ready to fly.

I'm willing to help in anyway i can and if anyone happens to be passing through my area and would like to see my set ups then feel free to drop me a pm and I'll pass you my mobile number, even if you would just like to call for a chat before or after buying if needing any help or advice I'll do my best.

Rudeboy...

Have you done any water proofing to yours? I have water and theres a chance its gonna go sploosh!!!

Couple of videos of them landing on water which is very cool...

not sure about this pontoon method

Not done any waterproofing as such, I use a couple of waterbouys attached if going to be flying over water, the idea being that if it goes in it will at least stay afloat long enough to retreive it and certain parts will still be ok, I've seen all sorts of waterproofing claims using different water repellant sprays etc but never bothered trying them,

If flying over fressh water then if it goes in most of your stuff will be OK as I've seen many folk crash into fresh water and then give everything a rinse and leave to dry out fully and be completly fine,

One of mine went into salt water in the UK and was basically a write off, if complete peice of mind over water is what your after then check out QuadH2O, there made right here in Thailand but are pricey

Waterproof Quadcopter. Fly in the rain or over water with the QuadH2o

Not done any waterproofing as such, I use a couple of waterbouys attached if going to be flying over water, the idea being that if it goes in it will at least stay afloat long enough to retreive it and certain parts will still be ok, I've seen all sorts of waterproofing claims using different water repellant sprays etc but never bothered trying them,

If flying over fressh water then if it goes in most of your stuff will be OK as I've seen many folk crash into fresh water and then give everything a rinse and leave to dry out fully and be completly fine,

One of mine went into salt water in the UK and was basically a write off, if complete peice of mind over water is what your after then check out QuadH2O, there made right here in Thailand but are pricey

Waterproof Quadcopter. Fly in the rain or over water with the QuadH2o

Yes that looks like the business but ooph! what a price tag $3,390!!! for the RTF and you still have to purchase batteries. I think the Phantom2 is priced fair.

Some amazing video's on youtube. The video below is stunning, however a wee bit jerky, looks like a fixed camera. I take it the gimbals eradicate this?!?

And the winner of that competition WOW!

I use to like making tilt-shift photos of bikes and cars. I would imagine some amazing tilt-shift videos could be created with a DJI and a Gopro

Thanks RudeBoy, the guy at the shop actually does training :)

Ally

Does it make sense to mount a usd $ 400 go pro on this for better quality?

Not really sure what your asking Phil?

most of the video's done with DJI phantoms and most of my own are done with gopro's the trouble is once uploaded to youtube you lose a lot of the quality, all of my video's look far better quality wise on my laptop than they do on youtube.

Messing around the front of the house.
Should receive my gimbal tomorrow.

Fat Shark goggles and iosd look like fun, that's going to make the whole experience immersive.
Incredible the amount of stability from the Naza software.

[video=youtube_share;1ViYya9Sdsk]http://youtu.be/1ViYya9Sdsk[/video]

Messing around the front of the house.
Should receive my gimbal tomorrow.

Fat Shark goggles and iosd look like fun, that's going to make the whole experience immersive.
Incredible the amount of stability from the Naza software.

A real pro already ;)

Metal surrounds,water, close proximity, wires... boy you are cool.

I actually managed to fly forwards yesterday !

Ally

Depends which box you buy ;)

The DJI Phantom range seems to be one of the market leaders right now from what I can see (3 week old novice!) and they are currently selling like hotcakes.

The Phantom comes in a couple of models.

Phantom 2 (which Johnny & I just bought) including Gimble for GoPro from the CMFlying.com shop in Chiang Mai.

The other models (Phantom 2 Vision & Plus) come with an onboard camera and a means of seeing what the camera sees (FPV-first person view) but they only have a range of 300 - 500 metres.

The Phantom 2 with Gimble, to which you then can buy separately a gopro camera & then FPV transmitter & receiver (plus a monitor camera) & spare batteries is what you will probably want to grow into.

The add-ons besides the camera & FPV stuff ramp up the range, the controls & the on screen display (OSD) are all great toys but essentially what comes in the box (if you buy the Phantom 2 + Gimble) will get you flying immediately with the ability to grow your kit to a fuller in-flight experience.

I have been buzzing about for a week now without a gimble / camera installed (just in case I break them) and have learned the basics of controlling the bird & thoroughly enjoying it.

Ally

Back
Top Bottom