219 Bore Kit for KLX150

rabbo

Bikes
klx150bf
Hi all this is my first post on here, i recently bought a klx150bf and bought a 170 bore kit with cam, but i read somewhere that there is a 219cc bore kit for this bike as well does anyone know if one is available or is the 170cc bore kit all you can get, thanks...

Thanks, that's where I read it but it doesn't say where he got it from i couldn't see anything there.

OK, as far as I know he bought it new with the kit but anyway, I'll ask him to provide some more info on it here on the Forum

Hi all this is my first post on here, i recently bought a klx150bf and bought a 170 bore kit with cam, but i read somewhere that there is a 219cc bore kit for this bike as well does anyone know if one is available or is the 170cc bore kit all you can get, thanks...

Rabbo - Keng the mechanic from Kawasaki Chinag Mai, Thailand did the conversion, he's done many of them. All in, the conversion cost was 33,000 Bht parts and labor.

24105023504_d234f74f38_b.jpg

Kengs phone number is +66 85 033 3364 he speaks good English.

The way he does it, is to use a Kawa Boss 175cc (Kawa parts) cylinder head and bores that to 219cc. He uses a Honda carb. & an API unit for tuning. Carry a spare API, they are prone to failing is his advice.

Keng's workshop page link below:

http://www.facebook.com/KengEngine/?fref=ts

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your help i will get in touch with him, thanks again 😊

How much was the 170 bore kit and did it make much improvement power wise?

Bore kit cost me $300 that's with freight to Australia and that came with i don't know why but 2 pistons stage 1 cam and gaskets, i haven't fitted it yet as i bought it before i bought the bike i went for my first ride in the forest today and yeah it needs it lol...

Wow what a great project! I wish i knew where to do this in bkk but will go cm if i must....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok i fitted the 170 bore kit and yes made a big difference, i fitted a stage 2 camshaft and as the revs come up it really starts to pull away quite well, still going to do the 219 kit as there are some big hills in the forest that i ride in and the 170 is still a little reluctant up some of the hills as they are quite long.

20160819_145133.jpg

Hi guys, stumbled on this thread and was hoping someone could help?

I bought a new Klx 150bf in June and whilst it's a great bike there is no doubt it needs a bit more power to hit the trails. I recently got back from a trip to bali where I took an off-road tour on an updated klx150. What a different bike it was! Quite raw with good power throughout but slighlty eratic fueling at the top end ]sometimes] power would drop off when going flat out for extended periods. Apparently it was upgraded to 200cc and had a pro circuit exhaust. I spoke to the mechanic at the tour company who also advised he changed the clutch to a honda tiger 200 to allow it to take the extra power and modified the clutch cover to spray more oil on the clutch.

I was just wondering if anyone has or wouldn't mind compiling a list of their upgrades complete with part numbers/ where they got it from so I could potentially replicate it? It seems there is a multitude of options and am quite confused which way to head with it.
I am living in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and am really struggling to get aftermarket parts here as no one seems to deal with the KLX. It seems like most of the work/knowledge on the upgrading of the 150 is based around Chang mai. I would be prepared to fly up there for the weekend assuming I could get all the parts necessary for the upgrade. Could anyone give a ball park figure for the parts cost? Naturally I would have to install the parts myself.

Also has anyone experienced any reliability issues after the upgrade? I use the bike to get about on during the day so whilst I don't mind additional fuel/servicing costs I would hate to turn it into a temperamental beast. O would like to do it right first time and get on with enjoying the bike.

I am going to attempt to attach a picture of the barrel the tour company used.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Best is to contact Keng of Keng Engine based in Chiangmai who has done many of the 150 to 219 bore conversions here in Chiangmai. You can contact him at his Facebook page at Keng Engine or phone +66 (0)85 033 3364. He can give you all the information you need on what and where to get what you need as well as provide insights in reliability.

There is also quite a bit of info on this post: Kawasaki-150-KLX-amp-D-Tracker-choices-2012. You will have to click on the page number (either on the top or at the bottom of the page) to get to the next page.

Here are some remarks about reliability:

- Had to take it back again yesterday as the starter motor and possibly the battery aren't up to the job now. Can't find room for a KLX250 starter so am having the standard starter motors internals upgraded.
- The Thai riders that have done the 220cc conversion all say carry a spare API CDI, they are prone to failure. 2,800 Bht for a spare, its about the size of a cigarette packet, will fit in a waist pack.

You may also have a look at the FB page of Kawahara Racing based in Indonesia and contact them with regard to the conversion kit - FB page at Kawahara-Racing

Thanks Lone Rider that is very helpful.
Have you done any mods to your 150? I am hoping to keep it reliable and I don't mind having to do extra maintenance.

Thanks Lone Rider that is very helpful.
Have you done any mods to your 150? I am hoping to keep it reliable and I don't mind having to do extra maintenance.

Got 1,800 Km on mine now, never overheats and starts first touch when cold.

That is encouraging. How are you finding the power delivary? Is it progressive or more on/off?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ok, thanks

Got 1,800 Km on mine now, never overheats and starts first touch when cold.

hi phil, I have contacted the links suggested and just waiting on there reply.

I saw this from your previous post:- The way he does it, is to use a Kawa Boss 175cc (Kawa parts) cylinder head and bores that to 219cc. He uses a Honda carb. & an API unit for tuning. Carry a spare API, they are prone to failing is his advice.

does this mean you use the existing cylinder and piston? also is the airbox the original or upgraded? lastly what exhaust do you use? Thanks

struggling to get any answers from the guys in Thailand that was suggested.

struggling to get any answers from the guys in Thailand that was suggested.

In Thailand it almost always seems to be difficult to get answers on emails sent to people and companies so you better try to call Keng at +66 85 033 3364 He is closed from 11-14 October but open again at 15 October. He is still very active and on his FB page I saw that he also exports complete sets.

In Thailand it almost always seems to be difficult to get answers on emails sent to people and companies so you better try to call Keng at +66 85 033 3364 He is closed from 11-14 October but open again at 15 October. He is still very active and on his FB page I saw that he also exports complete sets.

Thanks, I will try again. Can you link to the fb post about exporting sets please? Can't seem to find it on his FB page.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Kawasaki Motorcycles 1
KTMphil Kawasaki Motorcycles 43
Back
Top Bottom