2012 Bangkok Motorshow

mikehohman

Bikes
KLX250
Some shots from the 2012 Bangkok Motorshow yesterday. I am pretty sure there were some cool cars and bikes and stuff, but didn't get a chance to check out any...

Enjoy...

DSCF1112.JPG

DSCF1110.JPG

DSCF1118.JPG

DSCF1121.JPG

DSCF1127.JPG

DSCF1130.JPG

DSCF1162.JPG

DSCF1171.JPG

DSCF1178.JPG

DSCF1198.JPG

DSCF1194.JPG

DSCF1222.JPG

DSCF1232.JPG

DSCF1234.JPG

DSCF1253.JPG

DSCF1256.JPG

DSCF1310.JPG

DSCF1313.JPG

DSCF1316.JPG

DSCF1319.JPG

DSCF1347.JPG

DSCF1367.JPG

DSCF1481.JPG

DSCF1495.JPG

DSCF1498.JPG

DSCF1532.JPG

DSCF1292.JPG

DSCF1285.JPG

DSCF1291.JPG

DSCF1540.JPG

DSCF1586.JPG

DSCF1555.JPG

DSCF1570.JPG

DSCF1561.JPG

DSCF1578.JPG

Mike

I shot these pictures with a Fuji X-Pro1.

It's an exciting time for cameras right now. In addition to the unbelievably sweet Fuji, these cams are just released or coming soon:

Full Frame: Canon 5D mk III and Nikon D800, 800E
APS-C: Sony NEX7 and 5N and the Fuji X-Pro1
M43: Olympus OMD, Panasonic GX1,
Other: Canon G1X (slight bigger than M43), and Nikon V1 (slightly smaller than M43)

All of these camera are really something good. The full-frames are generally to big for us to go riding with, but all the rest can go unless you are falling a lot and in bad weather - for that, nothing beats the Canon S100, 95, 90...

But images will show a BIG image quality gain with any of the above cameras compared to the compact S100 (or any compact). The IQ and color on the Fuji is unbeatable (even by last gen full-frame cameras), but its expensive, and slow to focus (so don't expect any great action shots). For riding, the NEXs, the M43s, or the G1X or Nikon V1 would be better choices. If you just want great images, without thinking too much, in a flexible package, get the Canon or Nikon. If you want to spend some more time with your camera making pix, then the NEXs or the M43s.

They will all take great pix. Personally, i don't like the Sonys, but that's just me. The Nex 5n and especially the Nex-7 are pretty forking stellar, but the lens choices blow (well, there is 1 killer lens) and they are all too big (the lenses that is). And they are damn ugly, if you ask me. The soccer moms love 'em though. You see the tiny little futuristic compact 5n and 7 with these giant lens stuck on them wherever kids gather. Too funny. But the camera that REALLY gets me excited is the Oly OMD. Incredibly fast focus, killer lenses and lots of them, weather-sealed, 5-way image stabilization, and those awesome Oly colors. Should be a real winner.

Phil, i think you ordered the G1X, right? Should be awesome. Nice big sensor, and a nice lens on it. The only drawback for me is that your stuck with that one lens. It's pretty fast wide open (2.8) but slows down a lot when you zoom. And the AF might be a little slow. But the pix are really going to shine. You'll love it, it's a sweet little package, and will be a big improvement on the S100 (and the G12, etc). Canon colors are really great, better than Nikon, Panasonic, and Sony, but not as nice as Oly and Fuji. To me anyway. I really enjoyed your last set from north of Mae Sarieng, although they seem a bit too saturated to me. But that's all subjective... :)

Enjoy.

Mike

It's a nice picture, sharp with good detail, but the colors just don't do it for me. For a landscape shot like this, in good light, the G12 would make a better image I'd wager (although less detail). The G1X for sure would be nicer. Also, compositionally, i think this shot might have been better shot in portrait mode (as opposed to landscape). Need some negative space above the gate and the flowers in lower right corner are distracting.

But landscapes are easy. The differences between the cameras will really show when shooting low-light, action shots, portraits, etc... Would be good to compare shots like those... I agree with Don on sensor size, but there's not much difference between M43, the G1X, and the APS-Cs. There's a huge gap from compact to those, (and from APS-C to full-frame), but not too much between them. The most noticable difference will be in dof, the bigger sensor having more (which can be good and bad... :) )

Mike

Holy Crap, that is small (or you have incredibly small hands).

Dude, looking forward to some sweet pix, and a full report on the camera. Enjoy!

Mike, I am on the upward learning curve on the NEX5N, funky touch screen menus take a bit to get used to. Of couse the G12 with external controls excels in this regard. The upside is touch for the focus point, and for viewing, it is really nice to zoom in and see if your shot is in focus. The menu driven functions, is worth putting up with, as the camera can do about anything. 10fps! and the panoramic function is stellar. So far the G12 does not touch the Sony at anything. Night shots w almost no noise!
I was thinking that 18-55 lens would be limiting but once again amazed at the quality and usefulness of this lens at only 3X zoom.
In camera, HDR is a winner.
The big sensor and depth of field, is a whole new ball game, will take some getting used to.
This camera is not pretty, but has incredible functionality, in a small package, at a great price with interchangeable lenses.
What amazing equipment will be available next year.
Lovin it.

mikehohman said:
Holy Crap, that is small (or you have incredibly small hands).

Dude, looking forward to some sweet pix, and a full report on the camera. Enjoy!

Must be the photo ..it looks the same size as a G12 in the flesh

Midnitemapper said:
This camera is not pretty, but has incredible functionality, in a small package, at a great price with interchangeable lenses.
What amazing equipment will be available next year.
Lovin it.

Right on Don, I agree completely, the Nex-5n is great. Some people say the iq is even better than the 7, since the 5n has 16mp on the same size sensor as the 7. And hey, some people love the futuristic look of the NEX's. I also heard the video quality on 5n is so good you could shoot a feature film with it. And if you really want to get some killer photos from it, screw on the 24mm f/1.8 - now THAT is some lens. And if you are really ambitious, with plenty bahts to throw around, with the right adapter, you can slap some Leica glass on there... :)

The bottom line is that there are a lot of great cameras coming out from a lot of different manufacturers right now, many of them really affordable. Its means we get some really decent cameras into the hands of more and more people. Good for all of us!!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom