1st Myanmar Tachileik Bike Week

Malaysia happily accepts a Thai driving licence, at least they did on last years visit.
No translation or copies were needed

Sorry Colin - they "updated" the rules since your trip last year. The MV official who stated that foreigners could use a Thai license outside of Thailand 2 years ago is now stating that only Thais can use a Thai license in the other ASEAN countries, and foreigners would need the International Driving Permit.

Phil - there may be some understandable confusion arising from post #53, where bsacbob stated "If your Thai license is in english then an international license is not required they tell me."

I specifically asked asked the question and if your thai license is in english like i am sure all Farangs are your good.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Bob - I understand that the event organizers told you that a Thai license held by a foreigner would be sufficent.

I also understand that the Thai government currently says that it is not good for use out of Thailand.

I guess participants will find out which story is true when they get there.

Bob - I understand that the event organizers told you that a Thai license held by a foreigner would be sufficent.

I also understand that the Thai government currently says that it is not good for use out of Thailand.

I guess participants will find out which story is true when they get there.

Not sure about that the Thai Driving Licence (the so-called ASEAN license as it is in English) is not valid outside Thailand. I use my Thai (ASEAN) driving licence in Laos and although I have been stopped by the police there and they did ask for and saw my driving license, they never made any problem about it. By the way, when I used my old Thai driving licence which I got in 1976 (Thai language only) and which is valid for whole my life, the Lao police indicated that they would not accept it as being a valid licence in Laos and mentioned that I should get an IDP. I do know that several foreigners have rented cars in the US as well as Europe and they used the Thai (ASEAN) driving license to show the rental company that they has a driving licence and the rental companies did accept the Thai (ASEAN) licence as being valid in the US and European countries.

Not sure about that the Thai Driving Licence (the so-called ASEAN license as it is in English) is not valid outside Thailand. I use my Thai (ASEAN) driving licence in Laos and although I have been stopped by the police there and they did ask for and saw my driving license, they never made any problem about it. By the way, when I used my old Thai driving licence which I got in 1976 (Thai language only) and which is valid for whole my life, the Lao police indicated that they would not accept it as being a valid licence in Laos and mentioned that I should get an IDP. I do know that several foreigners have rented cars in the US as well as Europe and they used the Thai (ASEAN) driving license to show the rental company that they has a driving licence and the rental companies did accept the Thai (ASEAN) licence as being valid in the US and European countries.

agency probably accepted because wanted to rent..there is an ongoing debate for years with my bro in Italy everytime I go..is a cop! he litterally smashed my balls on the non-validity of my thai licenses.and that I could get trouble if I run into the proper anal agent..It isn't valid in EU (and most prob US as well(?),lived there 5years..cops in Cali=no fun)
anyway ,most prob in Myanmar no problems with it,I guess the all crew tipped the pol already there to make it happen....

Entry registration is now closed for the group ride up to Mong-La, Myanmar. The organizers tell me 200 bikes are registered for the ride.

Entry registration is now closed for the group ride up to Mong-La, Myanmar. The organizers tell me 200 bikes are registered for the ride.
200bikes on a 200+kms ride? that's easy.. ;)

200bikes on a 200+kms ride? that's easy.. ;)

The return ride is Mong-La to Tachileik in one day. That's 247km. 200 bikes riding in Myanmar average speed for that whole journey will be say 45 km/hr? So with toilet/ drink/ eating stops, will probably ending up being around 7 hours.

mongla maesai.jpg

The return ride is Mong-La to Tachileik in one day. That's 247km. 200 bikes riding in Myanmar average speed for that whole journey will be say 45 km/hr? So with toilet/ drink/ eating stops, will probably ending up being around 7 hours.

View attachment 32836

I am expecting we will have a number of stop off's along the route to visit charitable venues and the like so should be a slow ride.

Last edited:
Photo's of all sides of your bike needed

Just in from the organizers:

Brothers and Sisters who would ride to Mong Lar with us, I would like to ask one favor from you guys. If you have taken your bike photos (Front, Side, Rear with plate number) Could you please send to my email or PM? Government officer had just requested for at least 30 bikes to submit to them for registration by this Monday morning (01 Dec). Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Starting tomorrow, have fun you all!

Thanks Marcel. Just a note to anyone riding up, it's bloody cold here in mae sai tonight so best bring some warm clothes

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Looks like this is going to be a massive event/ show for this weekend. If you're in the area, tomorrow night (15th December, 2014) is the main show night

10676283_10205445313521641_8612385841276863569_n.jpg

A Myanmar, registered, BMW GS 1200, dread to think how much to get that into Myanmar?

10858633_10153445311378345_6209679489836724953_n.jpg

Probably the first time this Myanmar chap has seen such a beast

10845939_10153445343243345_2714977321785679937_n.jpg

Some photo's from the event from early in the day.

Vintage Myanmar bikes from the colonial days

DSC_2029_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2030_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2031_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2032_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A lots of these guys had ridden down from Yangon

DSC_2033_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2034_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Show rehearsals

DSC_2035_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2036_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

More to come

Dress rehearsal party underway (main event the next night)

Singapore rider's up for a few days but dont have enough time to do the Mong Lar trip

DSC_2092_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

For those of us that like girls - gorgeous Singha girls

DSC_2087_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2085_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Well thought out and set up

DSC_2084_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

By the time Carabao came on it was packed

DSC_2083_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Various Myanmar motorcycle clubs had their own stands

DSC_2079_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2077_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2078_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Myanmar girls

DSC_2076_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The infamous Carabao

DSC_2072_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2074_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

DSC_2073_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

With the Stupa in the background, the setting was perfect

10749909_10153447772518345_6451234697533995756_o.jpg

DSC_2069_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A Myanmar, registered, BMW GS 1200, dread to think how much to get that into Myanmar?

I wonder what the permit situation is for Myanmar registered bikes crossing into India ?

Hi Phil... Please to meet you in Myanmar . I was with KC .... I did not join the ride to Mong Lar... Cheers mate....

agency probably accepted because wanted to rent..there is an ongoing debate for years with my bro in Italy everytime I go..is a cop! he litterally smashed my balls on the non-validity of my thai licenses.and that I could get trouble if I run into the proper anal agent..It isn't valid in EU (and most prob US as well(?),lived there 5years..cops in Cali=no fun)
anyway ,most prob in Myanmar no problems with it,I guess the all crew tipped the pol already there to make it happen....

The new Thai licence (bilingual Thai-English) is fine to use in Laos although apparently it should be the 5-year type, not 1-year type. Even so, on the one occasion I got stopped by the police near Pakse (I happened to be driving a Lao pickup truck towards Thailand) my 1-year Thai licence seemed to be good enough, besides the Lao cops probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. Vietnam and Cambodia are another matter. Although Vietnam now reportedly accepts international driver's permits issued by 72 countries, not sure if Thailand is one of them, despite all the rhetoric we hear from the Thai Land Transport Department. But I wouldn't trust much of what they have to say: they claim that a purple international transport permit can be used for Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and southern China, when in fact only Laos recognizes it so far. China and Vietnam don't allow Thai vehicles in at all, unless you go on a tour, while Myanmar is the same except for short trips near the border, which only requires the vehicle's registration. Cambodia only allows in Thai vehicles at some crossings and even then, they aren't supposed to leave the border province and the registration is all that's needed. Also, Cambodia doesn't recognize Thai driver's licences, though they may not care if you are only driving a Thai registered vehicle near the border.

The Thai government has repeatedly also claimed that all 10 ASEAN countries accept Thai driver's licences. I disagree. The only ones that will, apart from Laos are Malaysia and Singapore. These three countries also happen to be the only 3 countries Thai vehicles can enter without restrictions. All other countries have either travel restrictions (Cambodia and Myanmar) or require massive amounts of red tape and expense to be allowed to enter at all (for example, China and Vietnam).

The new Thai licence (bilingual Thai-English) is fine to use in Laos although apparently it should be the 5-year type, not 1-year type. Even so, on the one occasion I got stopped by the police near Pakse (I happened to be driving a Lao pickup truck towards Thailand) my 1-year Thai licence seemed to be good enough, besides the Lao cops probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. Vietnam and Cambodia are another matter. Although Vietnam now reportedly accepts international driver's permits issued by 72 countries, not sure if Thailand is one of them, despite all the rhetoric we hear from the Thai Land Transport Department. But I wouldn't trust much of what they have to say: they claim that a purple international transport permit can be used for Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and southern China, when in fact only Laos recognizes it so far. China and Vietnam don't allow Thai vehicles in at all, unless you go on a tour, while Myanmar is the same except for short trips near the border, which only requires the vehicle's registration. Cambodia only allows in Thai vehicles at some crossings and even then, they aren't supposed to leave the border province and the registration is all that's needed. Also, Cambodia doesn't recognize Thai driver's licences, though they may not care if you are only driving a Thai registered vehicle near the border.

The Thai government has repeatedly also claimed that all 10 ASEAN countries accept Thai driver's licences. I disagree. The only ones that will, apart from Laos are Malaysia and Singapore. These three countries also happen to be the only 3 countries Thai vehicles can enter without restrictions. All other countries have either travel restrictions (Cambodia and Myanmar) or require massive amounts of red tape and expense to be allowed to enter at all (for example, China and Vietnam).

Thanks for the info.

FAR from sure.. And cant even remember where it was I read it.. But it was the Tachilek / Mae Sai crossing and route as I remember looking on google maps when I read it and it talked about the alternate days convoys going Keng Tung and on to maybe Namsang or Tuanggyi (just had to check the maps to get those names)..

I didnt realize they still needed convoys on the Myawaddy road in.. I didnt think they had a separatist issue down there.. I thought the convoy issues were due to it being Shan state etc etc.

Not sure what you are talking about but the Myawady to Kawkareik road does NOT need convoys. I've travelled across that road like 4 times now in both directions, so you could say 8 times. 6 of those on the old road and twice (one return trip) on the new road.

The Taunggyi to Kengtung road is dangerous, full of bandits and needs a convoy to safely travel across. Hence why foreigners are not yet allowed to travel on it, except with special permission.

Myawady to Kawkareik stopped being a security concern over two years ago and has been open since then. The new road still gets a few kids with rifles who demand illegal tolls, but otherwise there's little danger on that road.

Back
Top Bottom