yzf 250....buying advice

Taninthai

Bikes
Crf 250
hi guys thinking off going to look at yz250f 2007...fully admit dont know a lot about these bikes ,been playing on a crf250l for four years so just looking for advise and whats required maintenance wise on these machines...is 2007 too old will it just give me problem after problem ,,,is there anything special i need to be looking at if i decide to view it.....its a good price,less than 125k but have feeling may have had hard life, claims to have new Newer Crank, piston, rod, clutch, oil pump, water pump, but obviously hard to know if this is all correct or just sellers babble.
all advice appreciated thanks in advance,

Not sure why you would want to replace the CRF 250 with a YZF 250 as the latter is a different bike more geared towards motocross racing/riding and requiring much more maintenance than the CRF. Here is a typical maintenance schedule for a YZF 250 bike:

1)Regular oil changes I change my transmission every 2 rides. A four stroke guy can tell you about the engine.
2)Lube all the bearings steering stem, linkage and swingarm now and anytime you ride in mud or sand or every 20 hrs
3)Set the sag and anytime you adjust the chain check it.
4)Lube and adjust if required the chain every ride and check sprocket bolts.
5)Fork and shock oil change every 20 hrs, rebuild with seal change or annually.
6)Check the compression of the engine every 10 hrs.
Replace top end when compression reaches threshold or 30hrs.
May be more often on a four stroke
7)Lube and adjust cables every ride
8)Check the spokes every ride
9)Check jetting now and adjust each change of season as required, set air(fuel) screw each ride. If you are riding morning and afternoon it may require adjustment between each with the change of temperature.
10)Clean Air filter at a max of two rides, in sandy or dusty conditions I change after each ride, buy a couple extra filters keep them oiled in a sealed plastic bag.
11)Bleed brakes every 3 mo, or after riding in wet or dusty conditions.

If you're not intending to do motocross, they are not a good idea. Find a WR 250 instead.

hi guys thinking off going to look at yz250f 2007...fully admit dont know a lot about these bikes ,been playing on a crf250l for four years so just looking for advise and whats required maintenance wise on these machines...is 2007 too old will it just give me problem after problem ,,,is there anything special i need to be looking at if i decide to view it.....its a good price,less than 125k but have feeling may have had hard life, claims to have new Newer Crank, piston, rod, clutch, oil pump, water pump, but obviously hard to know if this is all correct or just sellers babble.
all advice appreciated thanks in advance,

thanks for replies guys ,yeah dont look ideal sometimes i spend 8hrs day out on jungle trials, the maintenance looks ok apart from item 6..engine compression and topped rebuild.
bit gutted just missed out on a wr 250 by 3 weeks.
like the crf250l but the weight is a bit off an issue on them.

Totally wrong gearing, kick only and dont like to start hot, so kick forever, suspension too hard.

They look like a cheap option but if you're going to do any technical stuff, without the big flywheel it will stall easily all the time.

thanks for replies guys ,yeah dont look ideal sometimes i spend 8hrs day out on jungle trials, the maintenance looks ok apart from item 6..engine compression and topped rebuild.

Take a look at the KLX 150 BF with a big bore kit, all the Thai's buy them.

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/8108-219-Bore-Kit-for-KLX150?highlight=kawasaki

again thanks some good replies ,defiantly not going for it, yeah had been reading that thread the other week also toying with the idea of just getting the klx140...some real tight trails where i am where the crf is just to risky to take actually scared i won't be able to get back if i go down them..lol.
if any one else is interested in the yamaha its 100k can message me for details located krabi south thailand.just the kick start is enough of a problem really stuck in jungle 32 degrees struggling to get it going is not for me..gotta be electric start all the way really. wr.jpgwr.jpg

If you're going with a YZF for offroad (it's a good choice as long as you're not doing stand-still trails) you need a EFI version, year 2014+. You can find one for around 175,000 baht I would say. If you use it for offroad only might be good to get softer springs and adjust mapping with the yamaha EFI tool (very easy to use and loads of info on the net).

As Phil said a WRF is much better and comfortable for long days on the bike but somehow in Thailand the prices are crazy, almost double the price of a YZF.

Had my YZF for 2 years and it required no maintenance at all expect regular oil changes. Just clean the bike / air filter after every ride and check valve clearance once every 4-5 months or if you're lazy just wait until it doesn't start after the first 1-2 kicks it will tell it's time to check.

Don't look too much at the "recommended" maintenance schedules, those are for racing and if you want to keep 100% of the power. A 2 years old piston still makes more hp than you'll ever need.

It all depends what kind of riding you are doing, if you want excitement and go fast it's a very good choice as you won't get better for the price, but if you're more touring and adventure riding I would look at other more comfortable options.

yeah i know they are great bikes and reading up a bit more you are dead right about the maintenance ,reckon i could mange it easy enough however i ride on my own quite a bit and i have visions of this bike letting me down in the middle of the jungle, always on tight tricky trails too which this bike is not ideal for and i use the uk pound which is crap at the minute so everything is pointing me away from it at the moment.. being sensible for once..
If you're going with a YZF for offroad (it's a good choice as long as you're not doing stand-still trails) you need a EFI version, year 2014+. You can find one for around 175,000 baht I would say. If you use it for offroad only might be good to get softer springs and adjust mapping with the yamaha EFI tool (very easy to use and loads of info on the net).

As Phil said a WRF is much better and comfortable for long days on the bike but somehow in Thailand the prices are crazy, almost double the price of a YZF.

Had my YZF for 2 years and it required no maintenance at all expect regular oil changes. Just clean the bike / air filter after every ride and check valve clearance once every 4-5 months or if you're lazy just wait until it doesn't start after the first 1-2 kicks it will tell it's time to check.

Don't look too much at the "recommended" maintenance schedules, those are for racing and if you want to keep 100% of the power. A 2 years old piston still makes more hp than you'll ever need.

It all depends what kind of riding you are doing, if you want excitement and go fast it's a very good choice as you won't get better for the price, but if you're more touring and adventure riding I would look at other more comfortable options.

Back
Top Bottom