Yunnan. A virgin's impressions.

Thanks Bob.
I believe the Chinese script says she only takes it by the kilogram.

Just caught up with my reading. Brilliant report, as usual, thanks Old Man.

Because I referred to environmental issues in my report, this 50 minute 'doco' is relevant and interesting; relevant not only to China of course!

Australia Network - Watch Now

From 'Australia Network'.

"Rainmakers is an investigative doco about the decline of China's environment, told from the perspective of four civil activists who refuse to accept the ongoing ecological destruction of their homeland."

Oh, and thanks Ron for pointing me to this very interesting documentary.

:)

Ally

It sounds like you had a really good time Ron, how does China compare to Thailand pricewise and also for the general welcoming friendliness that we get used to here?

Thailand wins for economy.
I met some very friendly and helpful Chinese people.

Thailand wins for economy.
I met some very friendly and helpful Chinese people.

My initial impressions were that most were unfriendly, but the reality is that 99% don't speak a word of English & don't want to get involved in trying to communicate because of this.

I couldn't access an English language keyboard in Dali, so have only now been able to research one of the nicest places I saw during my recent ride, i.e. Lake Erhai.

Dali Erhai Lake, Yunnan

And now I have a name for that beautiful little island Temple.
Dali is worth visiting if only for the Lake and its attractions.

"The most unforgettable Xiaoputuo Dao, originally devoted to Bodhisattva Kwan-yin, can be traced back to the 15th century. Though tiny and called xiao (which means small in Chinese), one can still experience and see the typical ancient Chinese Buddhist temple's unique architectural styles of its buildings' pointed eaves and decorations on this peninsular."

DSC08288.jpg

Yep; a bit of everything Bob.
A real eye opener and a valuable lesson for me.

re Hotel in Kunming. :phil

"Dear Ron,
Thank you for choosing Booking.com.
The Yunhua Hotel has responded to your complaint and advised that they have noted your concerns and are taking the necessary steps to improve their service. (yeah, sure)
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the issues you had, we always appreciate feedback from our guests regarding properties listed on Booking.com.
Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Thank you again for choosing Booking.com. We hope to be your choice for future online reservations.
Kind regards,
--
Matthew McNaughton
Booking.com Customer Service Team"

And on 'Trip Advisor'.

"Beware of Yun Hua Hotel, Kunming"

x.gif
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had pre-booked a couple of nights at this hotel recently and very much regret doing so!

It is a terrible place and I want to warn others about it.

1 There was no notice when booking but upon arrival I was asked to pay a significant deposit on top of the room fee. I didn't feel comfortable about doing this, but 'first time in a new city and it was mid evening.'

2 the place is very noisy. Guests seem to feel that the only way of closing a door is to slam it!
Then there's the vehicles in their carpark beeping their horns early in the morning to arouse their passengers and get to to board or to get them out from the breakfast hall.

3 the 'complimentary' breakfast is appalling and consumed by 7-30 am. The staff in the kitchen and dining hall are unsmiling and unfriendly.

4 the Reception staff have absolutely no English and try to communicate via their computers.
They are also unsmiling and unfriendly.

5 come 'check out' time you will struggle to get your deposit back. They will fight tooth and nail to find a reason why they should take some money from your due refund. In my case they say they found a broken hair-dryer. Good try girls; I'm as bald as a badger! Check-out took a painful and unpleasant 40 minutes!

NEVER AGAIN.
I RECOMMEND THIS PLACE...... BE AVOIDED.

Room Tip: Don't bother! Look elsewhere, such as the 'Seagull Hotel.

Good to know Ron - I hope we're not staying there in a few days.

And on 'Trip Advisor'.

x.gif
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had pre-booked a couple of nights at this hotel recently and very much regret doing so!

1 There was no notice when booking but upon arrival I was asked to pay a significant deposit on top of the room fee. I didn't feel comfortable about doing this, but 'first time in a new city and it was mid evening.'

2 the place is very noisy. Guests seem to feel that the only way of closing a door is to slam it!
Then there's the vehicles in their carpark beeping their horns early in the morning to arouse their passengers and get to to board or to get them out from the breakfast hall.

3 the 'complimentary' breakfast is appalling and consumed by 7-30 am. The staff in the kitchen and dining hall are unsmiling and unfriendly.

4 the Reception staff have absolutely no English and try to communicate via their computers.

5 come 'check out' time you will struggle to get your deposit back. They will fight tooth and nail to find a reason why they should take some money from your due refund. In my case they say they found a broken hair-dryer. Good try girls; I'm as bald as a badger! Check-out took a painful and unpleasant 40 minutes!

NEVER AGAIN.

Good to know Ron - I hope we're not staying there in a few days.

In kunming, I tried the Camillia Hotel 1,900 Bht equiv., great value for its central location.

6585d1361890862-north-west-china-tibet-border-2012-07-22_172953.jpg

And on 'Trip Advisor'.

x.gif
Reviewed May 14, 2013

NEVER AGAIN.

When I was researching the 'Tea Horse (mules actually) Road' I discovered this excellent site which offers some fascinating reading, including these two.

78.jpg

82.jpg

http://www.riverbooksbk.com

Their catalogue can be downloaded.

Great stuff!

A great report and some stunning photos. I know you found it hard going a lot of the time, but a great adventure!

Thanks Steve.
Good to see you here.
You'd enjoy the Shangri La area.
Think about it!

I've only been to Yunnan and what I saw was well worthy of a visit.
Hope you can get there some day.

Thank you such an interesting ride report. I have to to this area many time and it is interesting to read it from a foreigner's angle of view.:shake:

Glad you found the report of some interest Franki.
I see you are based in Hong Kong.
It was a fascinating ride, with highs and lows.
Definitely way up the top was Shangralila and that area.
I'd live there tomorrow.
Best wishes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jeffery Florian China Ride Reports 8
Back
Top Bottom