Where in the world you need a Carnet de Passage

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
It's often guessed at where you actually need a Carnet de Passage to legally temporary import your vehicle into certain foreign countries. For instance, in the last 12 months, we've had several motorcycles ride from Europe all the way to Thailand without needing to have a Carnet de Passage, most thought this was impossible.

So, with the help of the German Automobile Association, below is a map of which countries (in brown) require a Carnet de Passage for a foreign registered vehicle.

The first map Asia

carnet asia.jpg

Eastern Pacific region, again in brown Carnet de Passage needed

ep carnet.jpg

Middle East

me carnet.jpg

& South America

sa carnet.jpg

Hi Phil!
According to these informations China does not require a Carnet.
But my question is: is it possible to get in China with a big bike and ride around?

Would really like to get through...

Martinovich%u002520chinois%20tres%20tres%20petit.jpg

The back of my (now expired) Carnet de Passages en Douane lists the following countries:

Asia & Middle East
Bangladesh
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon
Malaysia
Oman
Pakistan
Qatar
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Syria
United Arab Emirates

Oceania
Australia
New Zealand

Europe
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
Greece
Italy
Turkey

Africa
Bophuthatswana
Botswana
Ciskei
Egypt
Kenya
Lesotho
Libya
Malawi
Namibia
South Africa
Sudan (and presumably South Sudan now)
Swaziland
Zimbabwe

America
Argentina
Canada
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Paraguay
Peru
Trinidad & Tobago
Uraguay
Venezuela

There's also a comment "This Carnet may also be used in the following countries, under the sole and exclusive guarantee of the issuing association:

Asia
Myanmar
Nepal

Africa
Burundi
Equatorial Guinea
Gambia
Ghana
Guinea (Conakry)
Liberia
Nigeria
Rwanda
Somalia
Tanzania
Uganda
Zambia

That was in line with my experience, except I was also asked for it in coming into Timor-Leste... on the way out, I used the southern border crossing into Indonesia and the border staff on both sides had absolutely no idea what to do... so we showed them where we wanted them to stamp documents and away we went. I used mine in Timor-Leste, Indonesia and Malaysia. I was also asked for it on my way back into Thailand recently, but I told them I didn't need it and can I please have a Temporary Import Permit... which I got.

Back
Top Bottom