Foreign Reg bike-anyone had to pay overstay anywhere except Chiang Kong?

alexuk

Foreign Reg bike-anyone had to pay overstay anywhere except Chiang Kong?

So anyone that overstayed their temporary Import Permit paid elsewhere?
If so where, how much, how easy was it, etc?

And did you have to take your bike out of Thailand immediately afterwards?

Chris has done the procedure at Mae Sai Alex. See previous posts from him.

Yes, i'd already paid mine and got an extension from Chiang Khong. You should be able to pay it in Mae Sai - at the Customs House next to the bridge, though. How 'friendly' they're about it, I don't know. Think you will have to take your bike out the same day - unless you get an extension.

what do you mean Phil? It sounds like you can take your bike into Myawaddy town without aBurmese Visa, same as at Tachilek
Chris,was your bike in thailand 6 months on a temp import permit when you went to Chiang Kong or Mai Sai, or where you ever on overstay?

I had paid the fine on the 6 months at CK and they gave me a 1 month overstay extension because of it being difficult for bikes to cross there - to give me some time to take it out elsewhere.

I didnt pay it but I know many of my mates paying it at sadao.. I am pretty sure every border point has to be up on the ability to do so.

Whats weird was CK allowing a payment and not being bothered by being over 6 months, everything i had been told and read online, even on the official Thai customs site, says thats a huge issue and into confiscation area (you now owe that amount in taxes on the temp import papers). Each location and officer a law unto themselves.

They literally have to process it tho, if you turn up and are leaving the country, its part of the task of those customs offices to do this.

Yeh - guess the only worry is if they aren't happy with you, cos you have to get another temp import from them when you come back in - unless you're re-entering somewhere else. Should be OK though...

No one's had problems at Chiang Khong with overstays, from what I know - it's just the bike/bridge problem there. Mae Sai seemed a bit unsure, like on if I could keep repeating the process there - so I'll alternate with CK.

Regulations might change but a lot of it is just up to them, how they feel and how their office decide to figure things... T.I.T.

Back
Top Bottom