What motorbike to get?

MAX

hey there!

my girlfriend and me are flying to koala lumpur 11 of april. we´re going to buy 2 bikes there and tour SE asia for 5 months.

now we´ve been looking into what bikes are available in KL. My personal favourite would have been the cbr 150 as i was riding a similar bike (tiger 200) in indonesia before, but i´ve been told it´s been discontiniued.

our bike budget is 2000-2500€ each, so 250 cc bikes are out of reach. unless we would buy them used, but that something I´d like to avoid, don´t wanna be stuck somewhere in the jungle with a broken clutch and a visa running out in 4 days.

so i´ve been getting in kontakt with calvin at kok motors, and he offered me some options he has for sale, Kawasaki KLX 150 and KKR 150 seem to be the 2 to chose from.

as i´d love to do some dirt riding, the klx seems the approriate choice, but i´m >180 cm and 85kg, and i´m not sure if a 14hp bike can take me around asia?

the kkr on the other hand seems to have more than enough power at 30hp, but especially as we are entering the wet seasons I suspect its not suited to take me over small dirt roads?

any advice? should i go for a completely different bike?

greets, Max and Theresa

What's Malaysias Honda sonic or Suzuki raider branded as ?? The raider is a lot faster but can be problems with the valves.. The Honda is bulletproof, and if you get the style with the higher bars not the clip on racer style bars I as a 183 and 105kg can ride one in relative comfort. Parts and service everywhere very cheap.

The KRR might be problem for parts and not an ideal do anything bike, more a pocket rocket mini racer..

I think it all depends on where in Asia you will be touring the most.

If you switch countries I think any warranty issue would be moot so buying a low mileage bike seems OK. Having ridden the Tiger 2000 before and I chose an NSR 150R instead. NSR even though it was small as you know is slightly longer than Tiger. I used NSR for fun and weekend rides, but touring is different. I don't think the available 125 or 150 bikes are big enough.

I think used D-Tracker 250 if you can find two in Malaysia. They are available in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia so maintenance in large towns will be available everywhere. Although not fast, they are the closest to a ubiquitous Asian bike.

2 Honda XR 250's would be an interesting option, depending on if the height of the bike would be a problem.

Hi, I am from Malaysia. I can only advice you if I know where you plan to ride in Malaysia. Frankly, not much dirt roads here as most roads are paved. You might find dirt trails but it would be tough for you to go from one point to the other unless you can navigate by using a gps some sort of Garmin 60CSX or equivalent.
It also depends on how far you're gonna ride, like from state to state?
You are a bit taller and heavier than me. Yes the KLX 150 can ferry u alone, but you might be uncomfortable. The best thing that can come to my mind, is that if you could buy something we call cub chais...(an english/chinese word). Its a small moped like, but powerful enough, seated low, with a 4 stroke engine, ranging from 115 to 135cc. My buddies (in our 40s and 50s ) did one crazy trip from Penang Malaysia to Chiengmai Thailand, and they made it quite well...without any breakdowns or injuries. The only setback is full fuel tank range.
One particular good bike would be the Yamaha 135 LC, a liquid cooled 135cc 4 stroke yamaha. Or the ever lasting Honda cub..now they are in the 125 cc class.They are quite affordable and you can sell them upon your return in no time.
Fuel tank range could be about 140-160km, but one can always carry extra fuel.
These bikes' eats are much better than the KLX ( I know, I have a KLX 250), and they are simple to mantain. If youi wanna tour Malaysia, take the states roads or old roads, stay away from the highway/expressways. Take the East Coast, between April To August, and you will love it.Happy trip....

Isn't the KKR a 2stroke? May be more hassle and love required than you know how to or want to do....bring tools...

The KLX would kill you riding 2 up, IMO....the bigger, better susepended HOnda CBR would suit more.

I also own an NSR150RR, 2 T, and have driven it tons of KM both solo and 2 up here in Laos and Thailand...Thailand, OK, roads are fine...but in Laos, stiff suspension makes sure you and pillion feel every bump. BUt it is very comfortable and adept at 2 people...as far as sport bikes go...

oops...I was thinking the KSRs....that KKR is the mini play bike....Never ridden that one, but sure doesn't look too nice for the passenger...they also don't come stock with rear pegs, I know, so maybe look for some that give a better position for the pillion, if possible.

Good luck.

If the KKR is the Kawasaki KR 150, then it is a 2 stroker. The KSR are the ones with the samller diameter tires. These are the mini bikes. I wouldn't recommend both for touring.

Back
Top Bottom