USPS not shipping lithium ion batteries May 7

When you complete the Shipoto customs declaration just lie through your teeth, plead ignorance and check the box stating there is no battery within the packaging.

I think there _may_ be some confusion here...?
USPS normally posts shipping updates monthly, or well in advance of their implementation.

Per their current regulations posted April 2012 (below), you can ship either small
rechargeable or non-rechargeable lithium batteries. They must be either packaged _with_
the equipment they are intended for, or packaged _installed_ in the equipment they are intended for (e.g. cameras, GPS, flashlight, etc.).
Either can be mailed by surface or air, but individual batteries (without accompanying equipment) can be mailed surface, but _not_ by air

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q601.htm
scroll down to Hazard Class 8 Corrosives

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#xd_601_10_20_7
scroll down to item 10.20.5

No problem getting batteries out of HK/China or Taiwan.

Probably cheaper and quicker in the end.

Loop said:
No problem getting batteries out of HK/China or Taiwan.

Probably cheaper and quicker in the end.
True, but the biggest concern would be buying devices that come with batteries (GPSes, phones etc.). If you're a stickler for regulations you would have to take out the battery before shipping it, and then source the battery separately.

I've got some LiPo (lithium polymer) batteries in an RC car I will be bringing home and man, they are some scary results if you handle/charge those things wrong! The charger for it cost me over $100! It put's them into storage mode which is safe but you won't be shipping those bad boys! (Makes the car fly though :) )

Davevb said:
I've got some LiPo (lithium polymer) batteries in an RC car I will be bringing home and man, they are some scary results if you handle/charge those things wrong! The charger for it cost me over $100! It put's them into storage mode which is safe but you won't be shipping those bad boys! (Makes the car fly though :) )
Yep, I bought a few of those a while back and one of them started bulging out, just lying on the shelf. I took it back to the shop and they replaced it. The shopowner then walked outside and unceremoniously dumped it in the bin!

Back
Top Bottom