Ulysses Club Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Mick from the newly formed Chiang Mai chapter of the Ulysses club stopped by, he says there is another chapter probably coming in Kanchanaburi soon.

Mick Ditchburn & Greg Peart, two of the committee members from the newly formed, Chiang Mai chapter, of the Ulysses Club.

WP_20140728_18_19_09_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

David Thomson-Harry is the other committee member who is president of the Chiang Mai chapter.

Ulysses%20SA%202.jpg

This motorcycle club originated in Australia and is aimed at bringing over 40 years old riders together for riding and social events, a couple of links below:

Ulysses Club Inc. | Home

Ulysses Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The club started in the early 8o's & used to have over 50,000 members, due to various reasons it's down but still has around 27,000 members, with chapters in Vietnam, Cambodia, Germany, UK & South Africa too. There are plans to open two more chapters in Thailand, one in Bangkok & one in Kanchanaburi.

The Chiang Mai chapter is looking for members, everyone is welcome, some digression might be made at the 40 year old age limit, if you're slightly younger its still worth contacting them. Annual membership fees will be 1,500 Bht & an additional 500 Bht for spouses/ companions, quite reasonable.

There is a "group" day ride this coming Friday 31st, July, 2014, LEAVING from the Shell petrol station on the western side of the moat square (just south of the junction with Suthep Road), LEAVING at 0930am, be full of fuel, ready to go.

Mick and Greg are in charge of recruiting members, if you're interested send them an email to one of the emails below, they are both great guys & very "wise".

Mick -

micks_email@tpg.com.au

Greg

shezasdad@gmail.com

This is a really good opportunity for everyone to get together in Chiang Mai

Last edited by a moderator:
This coming Friday's Ulysses Club ride (Friday 31st July, 2014) directions & map of route

Directions for ride Friday 1st August 2014 – Doi Inthanon

· Depart 9.30am from Shell petrol station west side of moat

· Left onto Suthep Rd

· Left onto Canal Rd

· Left onto Somphot Chiang Mai 700 Pi Rd (also known as Middle Ring Rd)

· Right onto Hwy 108 (also known as the Hang Dong Rd) at the Big C/HomePro intersection

· Right onto Hwy 1009 going to Doi Inthanon National Park (approx GPS N18.432474 E98.684194 or N18º25’56.9” E98º41’03.1”)

· Right onto Hwy 1284 approx GPS N18.538330 E98.524766 or N18º32’18.0” E98º31’29.2”)

· Right onto Hwy 1013 (approx GPS N18.697452 E98.568749 or N18º41’50.8” E98º34’07.5”)

· Follow Hwy 1013 until it meets Hwy 108 then it is a left to return to Chiang Mai

Total distance is around 200 kms.

Coffee and lunch stops will be where ever they can be found and as required. I haven’t been on this route before so I am no help!

I have chosen this route as I believe it will be much more ‘scooter friendly’ than going to Phayao as originally discussed.

ulysses  ride 1 aug 2014_edited.jpg

Phil-
This is a ride I did (two up on scooter) a couple years go & did a RR but can't find it. Anyway that 1284 road is great but rough in spots. The highlight of this scenic road and not to miss is the orchid farm. You should be able to spot as you drive by as there is a giant orchid out front

Phil-
This is a ride I did (two up on scooter) a couple years go & did a RR but can't find it. Anyway that 1284 road is great but rough in spots. The highlight of this scenic road and not to miss is the orchid farm. You should be able to spot as you drive by as there is a giant orchid out front

IMG_2713.jpg

The "Rong Thao Nari Inthanon Wild Orchid Conservation Project" on Rd. 1284

Phil-

Yeah did it on the dizzy earlier in the year.. It was pretty broken up in places.. Tho no where near as bad as the rest of the 1013 to wat chan.

Lone Rider thanks that is the place. Besides the orchids there are these really cool Flinstones-esque houses built into the rock. An incredible view off the main house deck and a very beautiful pond plus other oddities scattered around. Always wanted to go back there but havent yet

Rong Thao Nari Inthanon Orchids Plants Conservation Project on R 1284 co-ords:

N18.58500

E98.51213

Location on R 1284 below:

orchid farm with txt.jpg

Yeah did it on the dizzy earlier in the year.. It was pretty broken up in places.. Tho no where near as bad as the rest of the 1013 to wat chan.

Back
Top Bottom