UK race engineer heads for winter break in Thailand

barrygrussell

Bikes
Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha Mio
Originally published on FMSCT-Live Blog and reproduced by kind permission
220683_1705583923804_1364211713_31436419_3758410_o_RS30.jpg

After a successful season as Crew Chief for GBmoto Racing, David Cherry is one of a number of personalities from the British and international motorcycle racing scene who will be spending at least part of the European winter in the warmth of Thailand.

Thailand is very familiar to David who has a home in Chiang Mai and has long been a consultant to the FMSCT and a good personal friend to the Wongsawan family and others here. Indeed, at the beginning of 2011, David worked extensively with the FMSCT to develop the technical regulations for the Moto3 Production series and later, from a distance, advised R2M on the rules for the new SuperNaked, SuperStreet and SuperSport classes.

Speaking a few days ahead of his flight, David told me, "I have seen pictures and videos of the flooding of Thailand Circuit and Nakhonchaisri and my heart goes out to Thongchai, Kraitos and everybody who has been hit by this disaster. I hope I’ll be able to catch up with them while I’m in Thailand.

“Amazingly, I have never been to a race event in Thailand, and am gutted that the event at Bira has been cancelled. However, I am hoping to meet some of the racers I know through Barry who say they will use the weekend for testing."

David will arrive on Friday 18th November. For the 2012 season he will again lead the GBmoto Racing technical team, which will enjoy factory support in the British Superbike Championship Elite Teams Scheme.

Barry - I'm sure Luke would love to hook up with this guy and get set-up, fantastic news he's coming here.

Hi Phil, Luke is already fixed up with Dave - in fact I connected them on Facebook a while back. Despite the postponement of the Motorcycle Mag round at Bira this weekend, Luke and others will be testing with some help from the master ;-)

I'll hook you up too and let you know exactly when he will be heading for Chiang Mai :)

Yep, Quite a few of us will brave the floods to travel down there to do some much needed testing, thanks to barry and dave for taking the time and effort to help us out! :DD

Back
Top Bottom