Trip To Shan National Day

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Day 1 Getting There

Pretty crisp start as we all assembled for the off some heads a little sore.

1 - 1.jpg

Soon underway and making good time to reach our pre-arranged breakfast stop.

1 - 2.jpg

A few minor incidents along the way, this one had Les stranded as he had run out of oil, some more oil was obtained and no damage done on our way again.

1 - 1.jpg

Fantastic breakfast by Tony at Cafe 124 no complaints and full stomachs.

N19.54444° E98.21119°

67937-4daf9b14bcf9a59eeaf3ccbe8c865415.jpg

Just what the doctor ordered.

67939-0fc742d0e08a80d1236a24b9af604dea.jpg

Reaching the first checkpoint at Jabu, a team of medical staff checking all out temperatures fro Coronavirus whilst the army checked our paperwork

1 - 3.jpg

Permit in hand we are all good.

1 - 4.jpg

1 - 5.jpg

Some parts of the road from Ban Pang Kham are now paved, none the less with a huge amount of traffic traversing the only road to Tai Leng bulldust caused some issues.

1 - 6.jpg

One of the steeper climbs causing problems, many riders on the deck.

1 - 7.jpg

1 - 8.jpg

1 - 9.jpg

The Jolly Boys soon covered in the thick bulldust.

1 - 34.jpg

Even on these smaller bikes traction was difficult.

1 - 35.jpg

Arthur caught out in a deep pocket of dust.

1 - 10.jpg

I did mention a lot of traffic, but didn't expect a traffic jam, turned out ahead was the steepest climb and some of the fully laden trucks simply could not get up as we picked our way through the carnage.

1 - 11.jpg

Safely through 3rd and last check point and up tot he viewpoint.

1 - 12.jpg

1 - 36.jpg

The buddha house displayed a lot of interesting images of warfare using elephants many years ago.

1 - 13.jpg

Once into town time for some food and drinks served by the delightful Shan ladies.

1 - 14.jpg

1 - 15.jpg

No grid power here so many of these generator-powered charging points dotted around.

1 - 16.jpg

Endless choices of food available

1 - 17.jpg

We had the great pleasure of being the guest of Phillip (Lt Col Sai Yawd Muang) Head of the foreign affairs department, who welcomed us and explained what to expect during our stay and some background to the event and its purpose.

1 - 18.jpg

Speaking perfect English he answered all of our questions and hoped we would return again as his guest at any time.

1 - 37.jpg

Phillip with the motley crew.

1 - 19.jpg

After the warm welcome, it was down to the hospital to donate foods and medicines collected by our group, thank you all guys for your support.

1 - 21.jpg

IMG_20200206_164036.jpg

The staff gave us a tour of the hospital and its facilities.

1 - 23.jpg

All the patients are soldiers many wounded by mines or gunshots.

1 - 24.jpg

Basic pharmacy.

1 - 25.jpg

1 - 26.jpg

Isolation ward for people with TB.

1 - 27.jpg

Ever smiling staff.

1 - 28.jpg

1 - 29.jpg

1 - 30.jpg

1 - 31.jpg

1 - 32.jpg

One of the soldiers with a prosthetic leg.

1 - 33.jpg

Back at the homestay, we had to be a little creative placing our tents as the house was full, most of the other bunked in the hospital.

IMG_20200206_180046.jpg

Time to relax.

IMG_20200207_133856.jpg

Later that evening the hospital generously laid on a terrific feast for us all.

IMG_20200206_183741.jpg

We whiled away the evening with tall stories and much beer, in the morning was to be a 6 am start for the parade day.

Day 2 the parade day, what a colourful experience and very nice to see all the senior ranking officers of all parties sitting together, hopefully, this will lead to some mutual agreement in the future and put an end to the fighting.

I will let the pictures do the talking although my main camera decided to have some gremlins, meaning I will have to return again next year. Thanks again to all group for their kind donation and Phillip for his hospitality.

1 - 3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_132cb.jpg

1 - 4.jpg

1 - 5.jpg

1 - 6.jpg

1 - 2.jpg

1 - 7.jpg

1 - 8.jpg

1 - 1.jpg

1 - 40.jpg

1 - 40.jpg

1 - 39.jpg

1 - 9.jpg

1 - 10.jpg

1 - 11.jpg

1 - 12.jpg

1 - 13.jpg

1 - 14.jpg

1 - 15.jpg

1 - 16.jpg

1 - 17.jpg

1 - 18.jpg

1 - 19.jpg

1 - 20.jpg

1 - 21.jpg

1 - 22.jpg

1 - 23.jpg

1 - 24.jpg

1 - 25.jpg

1 - 26.jpg

1 - 27.jpg

1 - 28.jpg

1 - 29.jpg

1 - 30.jpg

1 - 31.jpg

1 - 38.jpg

1 - 32.jpg

1 - 33.jpg

1 - 34.jpg

1 - 35.jpg

1 - 36.jpg

1 - 37.jpg

Till next time.

Great post and awesome pictures. Question: How/where do you get this "permit"? Is it issued on the spot and does a single rider/car driver need one too?

Would love to join you guys one day...perhaps next year!

Great post and awesome pictures. Question: How/where do you get this "permit"? Is it issued on the spot and does a single rider/car driver need one too?

Would love to join you guys one day...perhaps next year!

Apologies for the late reply, i am in fact riding in Myanmar at the moment, since i had camera issues for sure we will return next year. As before riders will be asked to make donations to the Hospital as tourist only entry in not permitted to the event.

I will be sure to reach out to you for next years event, group numbers need to be restricted to no more than 12

Apologies for the late reply, i am in fact riding in Myanmar at the moment, since i had camera issues for sure we will return next year. As before riders will be asked to make donations to the Hospital as tourist only entry in not permitted to the event.

I will be sure to reach out to you for next years event, group numbers need to be restricted to no more than 12

How did you get the permits to go there? Did you have to contact a travel agency? Covid aside, is this normally an annual event? How long are you permitted to stay overnight on the Burmese side, just for the night or longer?

Do you have to bring a motorcycle or can you also come by car/truck (4wd)? I assume yes, given all the Thai plated trucks/vehicles heading there.

Is this Loi Tai Leng? If so, I can tell it's right on the border, literally a few hundred meters from Thai territory.

Looks very interesting, and if things ever return to normal, I'd like to take part. Even with limited border reopenings to happen early in 2022, I can't see authorities allowing the event to take place this coming February. Perhaps in 2023?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom