Trail riding you don't want to try out

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Last Sunday Alex (USA) and me went out riding for a long day of riding again.
This time we wanted to find some trails near the Mokfa waterfalls.

The day started with single track from 700yrs stadium all way to Mae Rim, then following the 1096 to about 500m after Pong Yeng. There we took a right on a small road that has long offroad sections. At some point (Alex can give the waypoint later) we took a right in what seemed like a trail (wasn't on the gps map but we still wanted to give it a go).

After 100m it turned into a thick bamboo forest on a cliff. The trail was about 20cm large so no way to turn around anymore... At this point it started to get sketchy, half of the bamboo forest was actually dead fallen bamboos all over the place. As soon as there was a single root it was big trouble cause the track was not larger that 20-30cm, and if a wheel started to go down, we had to lift the bike back on the trail.

Then eventually the inevitable happened (and luckily it was sooner than later), Alex's bike got down pretty badly. Saw Alex and the bike falling of the cliff, the bike being on Alex's head...
Not really hurt but more into trouble to get the bike back up we tried several times but the bike just kept sliding down on the big dead bamboos underneath.

Eventually we gave up and tried to find another solution. A solution may have been get the bikes down the cliff since the gps seemed to indicate a road not far. We decided to walk it (slide down) first. After about 100m downhill there was another trail but unfortunately even worse than the first one. We then walked back to the road (400 very very long meters) and called Thon our magician mechanics to the rescue. 1 hour later he was here to help. While waiting a lone thai rider stopped by and offered his help (for free, we couldn't even manage to buy him a drink afterwards).

Don't have much pictures, just those rescue mission pictures, but have some nice video footage. Will try to edit the video and post it as soon as I have time.

As usual the pictures don't reveal how steep it was, but the video does (coming later).

Attachments

• IMAG0460.jpg
    IMAG0460.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 719
  • IMAG0461.jpg
    IMAG0461.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 721
  • IMAG0463.jpg
    IMAG0463.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 717
  • IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 700
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 701
Wow - an interesting adventure, is that the same place Justin, Johnny & I nearly got suck? or another bamboo cliff?

Not sure, you can't get out of this one without lots of effort and a rope. There is no way turning the bike around and the trail leads to nowhere.

edit: you'll probably recognize it (or not) once I post the video.

Looking forward to seeing the video and hopefully hearing my tirade of expletives as the bike slowly teeters over, I desperately try to push it to the uphill as I'm falling off, and 2 seconds later the bike pins me by my helmet. :lol: Will post up the coordinates of the turn off later - maybe someone can prove us wrong and ride it all the way through.

Thon - what a guy - sick with the flu and still muscling that bike back to the road. He looked like death after we got the bike back on the trail, huh.

Hahaha. That was awesome you guys. Good on you for exploring and trying to find the hidden gems. Shame it did not work out. Small trails are fine.........................just not as fine when they are traversing alongside steep pitches. Hats off to you two.

Not sure if that looks like fun or not...?

Looks like really hard work...

Like your sense of Adventure... :RO

Back
Top Bottom