Trail Riding Around Chiang Mai May 2011

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
Gents,

Just thought I would post our plans up for May. There will be two of us (three for a week) for the duration of May dirt riding around Chiang Mai's fantastic trails. It would be great if some of you could join in. Were all at different levels of experience so don't worry about be able to keep up, it'll be a team effort.
There is no specific plans, its just take each day as it comes and sketch a rough plan out the night before over some beers with the SD card maps. We did this a few months ago and had a fantastic time. See some of the videos below:

Also here's some of the trails completed:

attachment.php

One of the trails was awesome and were more than likely going to do this again.It involves a wee bit of man handling the bikes at Buddha Footprint, but its worth it. Some of the best scenery Ive seen in Chiang Mai at this point.
Also if there are any of you doing trips during May we would love to join in if it isn't a problem, were pretty easy going guys and up for anything.
Any amazing experiences dirt biking in Chiang Mai, why not share them with us and join in.
Last time we usually ended up back at the X-Center or The Bikers Corner for some food and drinks, great way to end the day and chat about the days experiences.

Here's the first video, more to follow......

After the road tour was over it was time to put her back to dirt mode.
The rear end of the bike was dismantled again to get at the Carb. James Dean Jetting kit was fitted. This includes an o-ring which is fitted to the accelerator pump to give instantaneous throttle response off idle. I also removed the grey wire from the ECU to give a more aggressive ignition mapping. Now the changes were noticeable straight away after the engine was started. No choke is required to start her now and the engine response at the slightest blip is awesome, wow what a difference. Also removed the rest of the end baffle assembly to give more flow and the sound a bit of a boost, I think ive got it just right and no need for an aftermarket exhaust, not really into loud exhausts anyway. Took her for a spin around the Samoeng Loop and it was like getting on a completely different bike. I also removed two links from the chain due to stretch over the previous hard days riding. Now the slightly shorter wheel base coupled with the derestrictions and this bike becomes a handful on the road and takes some time to get use to it. The ride got ruined by rain so couldn't explore the performance to it full.

web.jpg

Next came the Rekluse clutch. Now myself and a friend thought it would be a good idea to have a go at this with the use of a bottle of Jack Daniels!!! All went well with the installation. There's different conditions you can set it up for. I went for the low RPM engagement to stop it free wheeling near idle and 24 balls instead of 27 to give it a smooth engagement. Now the bottle of JD was well on its way at this point and all seemed to be well so we called it a night. Next morning I went for a test ride. Started the engine, all seems good. Into gear without the clutch, no problems. Now accelerating away it took around 4K rpm before the thing started to move. I thought thats too smooth an engagement! On I went anyway. Gear changing is sweet up and down, similar to a quick shifter only a bit rougher and you have to roll off the throttle slightly. I arrived at the place where I had to make a u-turn at a fair speed, banging down the gears. Once into second the bike started free wheeling and I over shot the u-turn. Got back to the house and wasn't at all impressed with the clutch. Scratching my head I couldn't understand what all the fuss was over it. Eventually I had a read of the manual, the previous evening my friend was in charge of the manual and I did the donkey work, seemed to work good :crazy: Alas the last page, how to adjust the clutch lever free play!!!. Now the lever feel when fitted with a Rekluse is non existent, it should be sloppy. My mate adjusted the clutch as if it were a normal clutch, this meant there was clutch disengagement without doing anything!!! The way to do it is get it in neutral and rev the engine to 4,500 rpm. There now will be clutch feel and you now can adjust the free play to 10mm. Oh it would have been so much clearer without the bottle of Jack Daniels!!! The bike pulls away firmly now, in ANY gear. No free wheeling when decelerating and the only word I can describe it with is FANTASTIC.

Ive been doing some hard trail riding for the past week or so and the Rekluse Clutch makes riding soooo easy as does the steering damper. There is NO comparison between this and my KLX. Where the KLX will just do whatever is required of it the WR does it the same only a lot faster and with far less effort. What a machine!!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The last day was the hardest ive ever done off-road. Every corner we went round there were trees lying across the track blocking the way. The tracks were very slippy and throttle control had to be precise or you were off. That hard packed or loose red clay stuff is a nightmare. Man handling the bikes over obstacles for what seemed like an eternity really took it out of us and we were glad to see tarmac at the end of it.
Im uploading some video at the moment and will post it as soon as it finishes.

Are you guys riding now? I'd be up to join you for a bit. I'm out every Saturday/Sunday and tomorrow (holiday here in Thailand). Post or PM if you're going out tomorrow.

By the way, was that you I passed on the Huay Tung Thao shortcut yesterday around noon? I was on an XR and you were on a blue Yamaha and a KTM 5xx I think?

john - You're right. there's some great trails in that Doi Suthep area alone

doi suthep dirt trails.jpg

Map copyright Auke Koopmans

You should try the area SW of Chiang Dao as well, another amazing trail area

sw chiang dao dirt trails.jpg

Mark has found a lot of these trails and contributed them to Auke's GPS map, some more info on trails in these areas below:

pang-klang-hwy-1322-to-wieng-haeng-across-to-kae-noi-t74.html

maetang-river-at-muang-khut-linking-to-chiang-dao-off-road-t70.html

2011-january-chiang-dao-enduro-tracks-t128.html

johnnysneds said:
Part 2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFN9ONMIz4]

the video is not working

wol\uld like to join you but my leg is not 100% atm

John this is a nice track north west of Mae Rim (it starts 15km north of Chiang Mai city), probably an all season trail in most area's with some slippy clay

file.php

Should be working now, had it ticked as a personal video.Here's Part 3 also

KTMphil said:
John this is a nice track north west of Mae Rim (it starts 15km north of Chiang Mai city), probably an all season trail in most area's with some slippy clay

"Slippy Clay" an acquired taste for sure, unfortunately not suitable for my palette, however im willing to give it a try.

This route does look interesting, not been north of Mae Rim as yet.

ThePoMoBro said:
Are you guys riding now? I'd be up to join you for a bit. I'm out every Saturday/Sunday and tomorrow (holiday here in Thailand). Post or PM if you're going out tomorrow.

By the way, was that you I passed on the Huay Tung Thao shortcut yesterday around noon? I was on an XR and you were on a blue Yamaha and a KTM 5xx I think?

Wasn't out yesterday, been ill for the past few days. Ill send you a PM with my mobile number as Im interested in riding tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom