Tourists Complain of Construction Blocking Vang Vieng View

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Tourists Complain of Construction Blocking Vang Vieng View

Lao news media has received complaints from both foreign and domestic tourists about a new multi-level building under construction on the far bank of the Nam Song River in Vang Vieng. The building is over seven levels in height, and although incomplete, has already begun to obscure the beautiful view that has made Vang Vieng famous.

Vang-Vieng-Blocked-View-800x600.jpg

One Australian tourist commented, “I’ve been to Laos many times and always visited Vang Vieng. I brought my friends with me this trip and was saddened to see this new building blocking the view, which is normally spectacular.” Development, however, has clearly begun to encroach. An employee of the National University of Laos visited Vang Vieng recently for a conference, and took the above photo of the building. He asked, “had the authorities that authorized this construction project forgotten about the beautiful scenery behind it?”

Source: Lao Post

TBH I thought VV was vile when I went two years ago. I never did a report because I thought it would be too negative but here are a couple of pics of the building site.
03012016301.jpg
03012016302.jpg

Kind of ironic that writing "go home tourists" isn't it? Umm...but without tourists Vang Vieng would die. That's the whole point. Personally, I always enjoy Vang Vieng, though it is quite low-key compared to other touristy places like Luang Prabang and anywhere in Thailand or Vietnam. However, there is a dearth of good quality accommodation in the town, which for me at least is a turn off.

At the upper end of the scale you've got the overpriced Vang Vieng Boutique Resort, which, although good is still way overpriced for what you get - in Thailand a similar place would cost about half. Or you can stay at the Inthira for a more reasonable price, but for your money you get a tiny room with no space to turn around and there's a noisy bar next door. Or there's a newish overpriced "resort" where you'll be the only falang guest (everyone else is Korean) who like going for a swim in the pool at 3am during the rainy season when it rains 24/7 for days on end. Wifi doesn't work, neither does the TV and the breakfast "buffet" consists of some fried rice and a couple of slices of watermelons all for 1200-1500 Baht? What a rip-off. Aside from that, plenty of cheap backpacker type places but none are worth mentioning.

Back
Top Bottom