Tire choices for D-Tracker/CRFM 250?

Thump

Bikes
'14 CBR500R; '13 CRF250M; '14 MXS125; '09 Nouvo 135
Looks like the two 'motos are wearing the same tires, IRC 110/70/17 front and 130/70/17 rear.

Since the Tracker is out longer, are there any riders who have replaced their tires with a different brand?

The big brands don't offer much in these sizes, the drawback is that these bikes have spoke wheels and need tubes.

I want to stay with the stock sizes but am open to others' experiences with other sizes.

I use Dunlop Arrowmax, they come in those sizes. They are sold by Maxxis. Not bad for about 6000 baht for front and back.

I think you can run tubeless with spokes. There is a sort of wide rubber band you can put around the rim that covers the spokes. I use tubes, easier to patch if you have a flat in no-where.

I think you can run tubeless with spokes. There is a sort of wide rubber band you can put around the rim that covers the spokes. I use tubes, easier to patch if you have a flat in no-where.
I guess you are talking about the Tubliss system, I was looking into this for my KLX but was told it was more trouble than it was worth. I just carry spare inner tubes with me, tubliss.com

I wonder how I managed to start the same thread twice... maybe they should be merged.

So you can use tubes in any TL tire? That would do. I'm after street tires and most are designed for mag rims.

I use Dunlop Arrowmax, they come in those sizes. They are sold by Maxxis. Not bad for about 6000 baht for front and back.

Are you talking about the GT501? That tire is made out of wood or something. Bought a new set for my VTR250; they slid under light braking and even in slow turns.

10,000km didn't take off a millimeter of profile! I'd take the IRC over those anytime.

Any other suggestions?

I don't know if it says GT501 or not. The cord started to show on my last set after 15.000km, should have changed after 10.000km. They don't seem very hard to me albeit not as soft as the super sporty tires either. Sure the ones you got wasn't 10 years old? Check the date stamp.

I don't know any other as I have run the same tire ever since the factory tires came off. My next set may be something more adventure style if I can find anything for 17 inch in Thailand.

Here is my tire new and after about 15.000km.

before_after.jpg

Mine didn't look much different from new after 10,000km because I had to ride very carefully. The tires slipped at any opportunity!

Your tire looks scary, worn unevenly, thread is gone on the right, must have made cornering interesting.

Nope, I definitely pass on the GT501!

It was well over due for a change and did not corner very well any more. The left hand traffic makes it wear more on the right side.

Back
Top Bottom