Tiger Boxer 250RS, to the local repair shop

brake034

Bikes
Suzuki GD110HU, BMW F650GS
After hibernating a few months during the hot season I decided to dust off the Tiger and drive it to town.
For some time I noticed that the Tiger stalls, it seems the bike gets too much fuel.
I had already replaced the old air filter, cleaned the carburetor and put a new sparkplug in, but still stalling.

At the Tiger forum I was suggested to find the local shop that does the local Police Tigers, so my Tiger was delivered to that local bike repair shop today. He does several 250 cc dirt bike repairs for the locals, there was a CR250 outside today, yesterday a XR250 too.

Seems there are two different shops here in the village working on the Police bikes, this one and the guy across the street?!

Anyway the guy at this shop speaks some English and yesterday when talking about the issue his first reply was, aaah carburetor pompem. 
We know this shop as we bought some goodies there and they repaired our old Honda bush cutter.
So keep fingers crossed, we will see what comes out of the woodwork.

After that issue is fixed I plan to install a Casoli performance CDI, for a bit better performance and smoother ride.
However the cable connectors are different, will sort that out later and keep you posted.

So after a few days and two shops the bike is running much better than before.
Shop 1 was 280 baht, limited success and shop 2 (no English, in Ban Ta) was 500 baht and after two days working on the carburetor settings the bike is running better.

However I found the original owner changed the sprockets front/rear from 14/37 setting to 15/34 so in 5th gear the bike now slows down?!?!
So I spend the whole afternoon changing the rear sprocket back to the original 37 one, to find the chain too short :RE
Went back to shop 1 to source a new cheap DID 428 size chain long enough, learning how to shorten a chain without a chain breaker, managed to installed it just in time for vitamin C hour. Tomorrow test drive!

The CDI tested too, works but will test-drive with it later!

Vitamin Chang is good for around health and having seen your home suppliers you must be exceptionally well 555. What the hell did they do for 2 days working on the carby Marcel....
Gary

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

However I found the original owner changed the sprockets front/rear from 14/37 setting to 15/34 so in 5th gear the bike now slows down?!?!

The change from 14/37 to 15/34 is giving the bike much more top speed and better fuel economy at the expense of some pull. That's a really big change for a small engine similar to going 5.5 teeth smaller on the rear as the 1 tooth change on the front = aprox 2.5T on the rear....somewhere near 20% change.

Hope i got that right??

I tried to find a link and 1/2 in CM last year but couldn't find one.

Hi Gary, the guy didn't work on it for two full days. First he had to find the reason for stalling, then do the carb work.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Loop, well I have some spare links now.....

Back from test drive, now it picks up much better, the 37 rear sprocket gives a far better pull and now 5th gear is working well even uphill.
After the trip to China will do the CDI, see if that improves the drive further.

I've seen several shops where they repair police bikes - a long row of Tigers with flat tires, rusty chains and discs, cracked faded plastics and torn seat covers.

And the bikes are all not that old.

I guess you get what you pay for. :)

Seems the engine of the Tiger is a Zongshen one.......now I know why I like the RX3 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom