Three Days Two-Up Dual Sport around DAK, Fang

AlexUSA

Bikes
XR280R, Dash 125 (supercup) , DT125
]day3landslide.jpg[/attachment:2xcb341o]

After the collapse, there’s a few more kilometers of singletrack and then the road opens up into a truck road as you pass the village of Fao Rai. From here, the road is probably accessible by truck most of the year and you pass through some lively hilltribe villages.

hilltribevillages.jpg

I’m not a fan of photographing people but all the women are in traditional dress in these villages and it’s quite a sight.

Finally, we emerged at the village of Pong Mai La and we were on the road/gravel (under construction) 3037 that passes the Mae Suai reservoir before, ultimately taking us south all the way to Mae Suai.

reststop.jpg

Nothing eventful after Mae Suai. You end up on the Chiang Rai road heading back to Chiang Mai through Doi Saket. I’m really not a fan of this road due to the traffic and not-so-impressive scenery (IMO).

Highlights
-The border road from DAK / Nor Lae looping North next to Burma and back down
-Off tarmac trails around Fang to be explored further
-Off tarmac road from Fang East

Attachments

• alexbikeafterlandslide.jpg
    alexbikeafterlandslide.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 803
  • day1afterdak.jpg
    day1afterdak.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 815
  • day2offroadgps.jpg
    day2offroadgps.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 785
  • day3landslide.jpg
    day3landslide.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 808
  • FangTrip.rar
    204.1 KB · Views: 320
  • farmroads.jpg
    farmroads.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 794
  • forestservicecamp.jpg
    forestservicecamp.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 812
  • google.jpg
    google.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 807
  • gpsmapday3.jpg
    gpsmapday3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 790
  • tangerine.jpg
    tangerine.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 801
  • uphillbeginningofday3.jpg
    uphillbeginningofday3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 818
  • viewpoint.jpg
    viewpoint.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 780
Doing that 2-up that's pretty impressive, did she enjoy it or tolerate it?

Great report, thanks Alex, looking forward to your Chiang Rai trail exploring experience.

KTMphil said:
Doing that 2-up that's pretty impressive, did she enjoy it or tolerate it?

She actually seemed to enjoy the whole trip and her family has farms in the area so it was cool to check them out. And while I was scared shitless crossing that landslide, she didn't seem to think twice.

Riding two-up off-road is not a problem of weight nearly as much as it is of positioning. Not being able to properly stand up and move around in the rough stuff really slows you down.

Alex,
Pretty sure there are a couple of threads on GT-Rider on that stretch of road that's collapsed, I even think they are also marked on DU's maps, as the roads been collapsed there for several years.
I remember looking at that stretch of road some years ago, but decided to take the road in from the East to DAK instead. Actually rode that same road in again about two weeks ago also two-up. Next time we will give your route a try, I think.

Good report and quite brave tackling that collapsed section while touring 2 up.

Haven't posted it before, but I chickened out when there last, with my son riding pillion, when we rode up from Doi Ang Khang.

I have crossed those landslides a few times, the first time back in 2002 when there was only one side gone but now its a lot more trickier.
I last did it on my Honda Phantom but that was easy as its a low bike, I dont want to try it on the KLX though

Captain_Slash said:
I have crossed those landslides a few times, the first time back in 2002 when there was only one side gone but now its a lot more trickier.
I last did it on my Honda Phantom but that was easy as its a low bike, I dont want to try it on the KLX though

For sure. It would be no problem riding across on an underbone but an enduro bike on 21/18's (and my custom extra tall seat) makes it more difficult. I found some pictures of the landslide from earlier this year on another website and the condition is about the same although there is a more vegetation that hides the edges now.

Here's some pics of it from December last year.

We didn't have any qualms about crossing it although it is a bit of a weird feeling looking down half way across.

Thanks for the pictures. Definitely better off sacking up and just riding across - Nice job.

I was there about 3 years ago, but it scared me and my buddy rode both our dtrackers across

Back
Top Bottom