The Road to Laos... Pt4. Oudomxay to Pakxeng Scenic Route

Gnasher328

Bikes
Ducati 851 & Mille S2, HD FXR, Trumpet R3, BMW R100RS, CRF 250
Screenshot_2014-02-22-23-05-38.jpg

A bit of Googling and OSMAND had given me the idea to head for Luang Prabang the scenic way, turning off the busy and dusty 13N at Pakmong, where I picked up some lunch, fuel and info on Phonsavan, onto the 1C through 'Nong Khiaw' or 'Nong Khiao', depending on the map used, then @15k after the picturesque Vieng Kham, turn right at a tiny village which some info says is 'Sam Soun' but I have been unable to verify, and insignificant junction onto a fantastic dirt road to Pakxeng numbered the 2505 on OSM/Mapnik.

DSCN0516.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

DSCN0518.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0521.jpg

Once off the 13N the road actually improved and was fairly good tarmac through to Vieng Kham which I was surprised to see was quit a tourist spot with plenty of guest houses, restaurants and boats for river cruises, like a mini Luang Prabang. A bit like Pai compared to Chiang Mai perhaps?

DSCN0522.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

Sometime after this the road deteriorated, alternating between tarmac, hardcore and patches of soft sand. I was on the lookout for the turn but missed it and carried on for a bit as I was enjoying myself lots.
DSCN0526.jpg
DSCN0527.jpg
DSCN0528.jpg

Around 20k / 1/2hr or so I stopped to check and have a rethink whether to carry on and hope to find lodgings in Viengthong or turn back. As I had no firm info on Viengthong but a definite lead in Pakxeng I turned back.
The junction was easy to spot from the other direction, there might even have been a sign although it still looked like just a turn into the village.
Anyway, to get to the point, this road is ONE OF THE BEST. It was steep in places but no problem in the dry, mainly a good hardcore surface running along a high ridge with amazing views either side.

DSCN0530.jpg

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0532.jpg

There were plenty of hamlets dotted along the road but a failed attempt to buy a bottle of water in one lowered my hopes of finding a bed if the going slowed down, as by now the sun was setting.

DSCN0533.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

This led to a slow and tense last hour the dark as the road deteriorated into sandy bits and ruts and I found the CRF headlight cuts dip beam on main so I had to chose between seeing the corners ahead or the ruts I was about to hit right in front. Must fix that!
I reached Pakxeng around 7pm praying the GH existed and was open. After riding up and down past its marked location in the dark I stopped at a shop and made 'sleepy signs', and after some excited chattering a girl pointed me down the street with a turning motion. This was going to be fun, exploring the bumpy side turns in the dark. As I got back on the bike she came out, hopped onto her moped and beckoned me to follow her. A few hundred metres later she gestured to a turning leading back up a hill a short distance with some lights at the top. There was an open area with some shops and other buildings, a covered market and - a guest house. Phew!
The proprietor was there watching TV, smoking what looked like a normal cigarette through a huge metal bong like a drainpipe with his niece playing nearby.
After I had secured a room which was ok by Laos standards and showered etc I went in search of food and beer.

Morning Pics
DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0545.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

The food looked a bit iffy and there was no beer there so I went off in a search which proved surprisingly difficult considering the many piles of 'Beer Lao' crates stacked around as most people had retired by now. One of the only people left on the street was a young girl weaving at a loom under a dim bare bulb. Eventually I tracked some down and returned to the GH where I got 'chatting' (gesticulating) with the gaffer who started making vulgar signs including some I'd never seen before and saying 'want women?' and pointing. I got the gist but it had been a long day and I preferred the idea of beer and a book. Perhaps it should be 'Pakbang'?

Gnasher

Been following your trip reports, good reads, thanks.

FYI, if you do get on to Vieng Thong one day, there are two nice new guest houses there, in addition to the two older ones. The town could use a good restaurant, tho, but the eats at the one opposite the market are OK.

If you head south from Vieng Thong it's a nice trip on the mostly decent enough road all the way down to Phonsavanh.

Mac
a 4-wheeler, in a 4WD pickup

Thanks for the accommodations info Mac (any waypoints names etc).

Looks like you passed through a very quiet Nong Khiew Tim (usually show as Ngoi on some maps) the road along that stretch is indeed lot's of fun. The turn off for the 2505 is not well posted and is very very easy to miss, but like you say it's a great trail road to Luang Prabang.

Ally !!!!! It happened again - did reply to the post this morning and it is gone again. Commented on the beautiful sunset pictures as well as the steep descent into Pakxeng which in the dark must have been no fun with the ruts and a steep 30-50 meter drop of on the side of the road into the river.

Well it's there now Auke, i guess Tim is taking the 2504 to Phonsavan, hope he's got some dry socks :ride:

Dry feet Bob, must have gone the easy way.
Auke, think I took the lower less steep road in, anyway it was dark so I didn't notice the drop.
Not sure about existance or position of GH already marked on the river but I have marked the one I stayed in from the mess of gpx tracks in the car oark. Pity the aerial coverage isn't very detailed there. Also marked 'Sam Soun' as Googlemaps confirmed it.
Screenshot_2014-02-23-11-03-05.jpg
Screenshot_2014-02-23-11-03-38.jpg

Dry feet Bob, must have gone the easy way.
Auke, think I took the lower less steep road in, anyway it was dark so I didn't notice the drop.
Not sure about existance or position of GH already marked on the river but I have marked the one I stayed in from the mess of gpx tracks in the car oark. Pity the aerial coverage isn't very detailed there. Also marked 'Sam Soun' as Googlemaps confirmed it.
View attachment 27147
View attachment 27148

Thanks Tim - had this strange idea that the Guesthouse was on the east side of the bridge. Yes, dry feet as on Rd 2505 there are no river crossings with the 2504 more to the south as the latter has several river crossings.

Back
Top Bottom