Advice on Laos roads?

marty16

Bikes
KTM 690 Enduro R
Hi folks. I was hoping somebody could update me on access through some of the back roads. I'm currently in luangprabamg, and planning to ride across to ponsavan (please excuse my spelling). From there I'm hoping to take the road down to long tieng, and then on to Vientiane. Has anybody travelled these routes lately? Are they open? Is there any basic accommodation available in long tieng?
Thanks in advance folks.
M

I have not been there lately but friends did these routes in the last 2 weeks or so and they indicated that it is possible but not for the faintharted.

First of all on what bike are planning to do this - on a road bike forget the Phonsavan to Long tieng (Longchaeng) trip as it muddy and slippery and steep in places. On an offroad bike it is possible but bring your passport as the army will want to check your passport when in Longchaeng. There is a basic guesthouse in Longchaeng at N19.10527 E102.92494 (Sayphasert GH).

Luang Prabang to Phonsavan on road is south from Luang Prabang on Rd 13N and at Phoukoun at the junction of RD 13N and Rd 7 head east to Phonsavan.

Offroad on an offroad bike is also possible (don't try it on a road bike) but it will be a very long and tiring day with mud and a few river crossings. Head north from Luang Prabang and at N19.97276 E102.24943 (the junction of Rd 13N and Rd 2504) head east to Phonxai (paved road) and from there continue on a paved and unpaved road further east and at N19.93669 E102.90967 head south and at Ban Pakvang cross the Nam Khan (there are canoes available and sometimes a ferry to get you over the river) and from there head further south till you reach Rd 7 and then head east to Phonsavan.

For more info see http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/7584-Long-Cheng-Travel-Warning and also http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...amp-Out-s-to-Long-Cheng-(Tieng)-Lima-Site-20A

If you are riding alone I probably would not do this but in a group it should be OK with proper bikes, a good map and a GPS with a GPS map for Laos installed on the GPS.

Brilliant. Thank you so much. I'll give it a Crack today. I'm an experienced rider with a couple semi experienced riders, riding crf and DRZ.
We tried taking the most direct route to long tieng from vang vieng yesterday, but turned back by the military at around the 40km mark.
I'm using android phone for navigation, and open Street maps. A great option if you're not too keen to spend big a garmin device which basically is a primitive smart phone.
Thanks again, and I'll report on my findings.

Ok so a few days in, and we've had a great ride. We took the off road route from luangprabang to phonsavan and it was some fantastic riding. In typical Asian style, you think you're riding better than Valentino pedrosa, until a family pass you on a scooter.
As for heading for long tieng, things didn't go to plan. We got around 30 km south of phonsavan and were turned back. We actually got through the military check Point, after they checked our bags, but we were turned back around two km after that, at the back end of a small village in a valley.
I understand that some guys get through, and others don't. I guess it changes day to day, we just got unlucky. Doesn't matter, we still had a great ride.
I'll be keeping close watch on the situation, and I'll come back to do that track through long tieng.
Cheers
M

Marty, thanks for posting the info on access to Longchaeng and sorry to hear that they prevented you from going there. From your info it looks like that the military at Nam Siam (about 38 km. from Phonsavan) did not let you through - they have a checkpoint at the end of the village at a bridge just before the road goes up quite steep to Tha Tham Blueng and Xamthong.

Back
Top Bottom