The Restive South; Danok - Betong via Border Rural Roads

nikhuzlan

Bikes
GSA, NC700D, KLX450R
Ride Report : Danok - Betong on Route 4001

Sometime in August i had a few days in my hand, and having bought an F800GS, the call to go for a long ride was irresistable.

I managed to gather three good buddies, one with a Boxercup and another with a Gixxer K5. Both these gentlemen rode with me previously on a 1400km scooter trip last year.

As their bikes were not suitable for the trip, they each bought the Aprillia Pegaso 650 Trail.

The trip in brief: from Danok we took a right turn into some rural roads that crosses the restive Southern Provinces of Songkla and Yala, traversing a number of National Parks before main roads presented itself to Betong. There were times when we were in the jungles of Southern Thailand I felt some doubt about where we were heading, especially when tarmac ended and the gravel road led us ever deeper into the depths of tropical foliage. Luckily we always managed to find 'normal' roads and eventually reached Betong, having ridden 260 km in about 5 hours.

Having had a good time and assessed that the roads can be tackled with bigger DPs, I organised another trip, this time with a bunch of GS Riders.

For this trip, I planned a Route took us from Hatyai to Samnak Teao, San Kala Khiri Nat'l Park, then to Sathon, Prakop, before we joined Rte 4001 to Ban Lalae, Kabang and Than Tho, where we joined the main road that winds its way on the banks of Bang Lang Dam towards Betong.

Pictures below tells the story.

Here's the Route, on GPS
001.jpg

The Riders ( less the photographer )
002.jpg

Our first night was at Hatyai.
003.jpg

Our rides awaiting the next day
005.jpg

We started off with breakfast at a stall run by Kelantanese speaking ladies in the middle of Hatyai town.
010.jpg

008.jpg

After about 40km on the main highway from Hatyai to Danok I led the group left into the kampongs and after another 10 minutes riding we ended up in a rubber estate, the first of the many gravel sections we will be riding through.
014.jpg

We reached a kampong, again populated by Kelantanese speaking muslim Thais. It is clear that whilst they are not wealthy, we later found out that they are rich with hospitality.We stopped for a drink, and the villagers brought out some pulut and rendang for us. hen we wanted to pay, they refused, saying that they are happy we stopped by, and to treat the food as Hari Raya food. Really nice people.

The 'cafe'
017.jpg

We left after half an hour, and I led the group through more estate roads.
018.jpg

The first challenging stretch caught Fazlee out. He was on his GSA. It was on a fairly steep downhill incline, muddy and slippery, and Fazlee slid his front wheel into a deep rut, leaving his bike unmovable.

020.jpg

021.jpg

It took 5 of us to pull his bike out.
025.jpg

The journey continued at a leisurely pace
026.jpg

027.jpg

After about 40 minutes we reached this beautiful tarmac that winds its way into the San Kala Khiri National Park. The road was clean and smooth, with good grip so the bikes can be ridden hard and fast. That the road was devoid of traffic added to our enjoyment.

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

Then it was time for some photos....great poser value...
038.jpg

039.jpg

Part TWO to come........

Interesting looking at the dirt roads in mid August - they don't look too bad?

It was a very dry rainy season in North Thailand in 2010 until September then it made up for it!

You knock these out pretty quick - can i hire you to write mine!

Ride Report : Danok - Betong on Route 4001 Part 2

We continued towards Sathon, then Prakop. The nice smooth roads eventually turned into rural tarmac, dotted with potholes and eroded surface. Photod do not do justice in showing the quality of road......

040.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

048.jpg

We stopped at Ban Lalae ( Ban means Kampong in Thai ), another Muslim community deep in the South. Again the hospitality was overwhelming, and again they refused payment for the food and drinks. We decided to leave them some money anyway, saying that even if they do not want to take it, at least they can treat it as sedekah for their mosque fund.

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

Bidding us farewell.
052.jpg

The route ahead
053.jpg

As we left, the rain came. This worried me as I secretly knew we would be in trouble if this rain continued into the gravel section ahead. The rest had no idea as they have never passed through the route and hence have no idea what awaits them.

055.jpg

055a.jpg

056.jpg

As we got closer to the dirt stretch, I was happy that the area was clear of rain, although I also knew that it will be a matter of time before the deluge catches up.

057.jpg

we rode on, and the road was ominously quiet, with absolutely no traffic. We observed as we got deeper into the jungles, nature was reclaiming the road back, with creepers and foliage covering the road shoulders

058.jpg

After another 30 minutes of riding on rural tarmac, the road ended and ahead lies a jungle track.

059.jpg

We rode on, the rest having faith in me that the jungle track will eventually lead to a better quality road.
It would be a totally different story of it rained here as it did earlier on
060.jpg

The track was bumpy and slippery, but it was a piece of cake for my long travel suspension of my GS800. The Adventures and GS12/11 did not have much of a problem.....

061.jpg

062.jpg

Plenty of mud crossings to keep the riding interesting
063.jpg

Then, a minor disaster struck. Minesh, on his GS1200 was tearing along at a fairly fast speed, amd his tyres slipped into a rocky rut. After a short struggle the bike went downnnnn
064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

As I was the last bike, with Minesh ahead of me, the rest was oblivious of this little mishap, but Fazlee turned back upon realising we were no more behind.

Fazlee found out hat making a u-turn on his GSA is no easy task, so after heaving and puffing.....
071.jpg

He did it the traditional way
072.jpg

After picking up Minesh's bike, which suffered minimal damage ( just light cosmetic scratches ) we rode on.

073.jpg

The road got worse
075.jpg

We reached a section that had a fallen tree trunk across the road. Thankfully someone who have passed by earlier did a partial job of hacking the obstacle. it was still a challenge geting through as it was slippery as hell.....
076.jpg

078.jpg

With everyone safely through, we continued
079.jpg

080.jpg

082.jpg

These steep pebble strewn incline would have been a major challenge had the rain came....
084.jpg

085.jpg

We rode on for another 20 minutes on gravel, but with no incident. Eventually we ended up on a pristine stretch of tarmac that would do justice to an S1000R.

086.jpg

088.jpg

089.jpg

This beautiful road led us to the highest point of Yala Province, atop of a hill that's about 2500ft high.
091.jpg

We stopped for some photos.

092.jpg

093.jpg

The road onwards was really good, but being the camerabike, I maintained the last bike position as the rest blasted off to enjoy the twisties.

On my last trip i remembered vaguely that there was an uncompleted bridge that began with a chasm just after a blind corner. I was a little worried it may catch out my friends who rode ahead.
Luckily the bridge was completed.

The Bridge
094.jpg

The same bridge the month before. Notice the lack of any signs for early warning.....
095.jpg

The heavens opened up as we reached the main road and with 3 of the bikers ahead, Minesh, Iqbal and me decided to wait out the rain by stopping at Than To for a drink.
096.jpg

Heavy military presence was noticable. Note the two Humvees to the right of Iqbal
097.jpg

From Than To the road was a real treat, with straights of not more than 200 meters between corners. And the corners were never ending all the way to Betong, 88 kms away. We however rode with restraint as it was wet. In dry conditions it would have been FUN

We stopped to take some pics of Bang Lang Reservoir.
098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

We rode on for the next 20 minutes in damp weather.
102.jpg

we met our group that went ahead at Ban Sakai, about 35km from Betong.
103.jpg

104.jpg

Onwards to Betong
105.jpg

Welcome to Betong
106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Our home for the night was Sweet Home Hotel.
109.jpg

Parking was secure, very important for bikers....
110.jpg

112.jpg

This is the way a GSA should look, dirty with no trace of shine.....
114.jpg

Then it was dinner. This awesome but simple dish was the pinnacle of our dinner that night.
113.jpg

More To Come

You captured the fall 1st class!

Looks like you've guys have some fun down there, will have to ride down.

Will post our recent Golok - Betong ride, also using the rural routes passing the "Restive South".

Back
Top Bottom