Golok - Betong. The Restive South Border Route.

nikhuzlan

Bikes
GSA, NC700D, KLX450R
This was our first ride into the "Death Zone" where the average toll is about 2 victims per day. I planned the route to follow as closely as possible to the border of Malaysia.

On the first day we rode 580km from KL to Rantau Panjang, where we crossed into Thailand and stayed at the Marina Hotel. ( 9 months later a carbomb blew the next building, killing 2 Malaysians. )
From Kolok we rode to Waeng, Sukhirin, Chang, Si Sakhon, Bacho, Bannang Sata, Ban Patae, Saba Yoi, Kabang, Than To then to Betong. Roads varied from gravel to some of the best curves in Thailand. Mostly devoid of cars, we just need to watch out for the occasional Checkpoints that crops up without warning. Military presence was heavy. troops all very well equipped, looks disciplined and all very polite.

The distance was just 320km, but in anticipation of unforseen delays, I budgeted 9 hours before we reach Betong.

We had no problems with the locals as I speak Yawi, a common language there. Although everyone acknowledges the danger, even when speaking with the locals, we never felt threatened. Life still goes on with kids playing in the open, laughter ever present, even when the sound of gunshots are heard in the distance.

There were 11 bikes in all, including a GSA ridden by Ganesan, a Singaporean. Although not a club ride, everyone turned up on a GS.

This is the Route
golokbetong.jpg

For a start, Here's the Video.

A Picture Story will folllow soon.

20110111GolokBetongVer1.avi - YouTube

Lovely roads and scenery around there Nik, plus friendly locals make it a fun place to ride, I bet you had a great time

Lovely roads and scenery around there Nik, plus friendly locals make it a fun place to ride, I bet you had a great time

Yes, fun place to ride if you don't mind the occasional questioning at some roadblocks. And there are lots of roads there to explore. I have been there another 4 times since then.

Back
Top Bottom