Perfect Bike for On - Off Road Touring

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
With the forthcoming release of the BMW 800 GS and hopefully the Kawasaki KLR 650 later this year, what would you consider the best all round play thing for Asia, most of us have laid down a bike on some occasion especially off road riding when weight becomes a major factor.

So what would you consider the perfect do it all machine :hmm Below are some claimed WET weights of likely suspects.

Honda CRF250L  12  1.jpg

Honda CRF250L 147kg
Kawasaki KLX250S 12  1.jpg

KLX 250S 135 kg
Yamaha WR250R 13.jpg

Yamaha WR 250F 133 kg
BMW F800GS Asventure 15.jpg

BMX 800 GS 207 kg
Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition.jpg

Kawasaki KLR 650 194 kg
KTM 990 Adventure 12.jpg

KTM 990 242 kg
KTM 1190 Adventure 13.jpg
KTM 1190 250 kg

I did say claimed :banghead:

I guess that the off-road inclusion means that the on-road bikes aren't really in the equation.

Best? Wet weight? Supposedly 118 kg

Even lighter with the engine out for rebuild every 10 hours???

Now that's a tad unfair. That bike's got about 770 hours on it now... and at the risk of me having my recent warranty claim denied, I probably should admit that running it , albeit for only 15 minutes or so, with a belly full of water might, just might, have contributed to the current minor works. Incidentally, I just got the invoice for the repairs. $1,044... which includes new piston, conrod, bearings and cylinder plating. I was pleasantly surprised.

Do that 3x and you have a free CRF 250 L

Now that's a tad unfair. That bike's got about 770 hours on it now... and at the risk of me having my recent warranty claim denied, I probably should admit that running it , albeit for only 15 minutes or so, with a belly full of water might, just might, have contributed to the current minor works. Incidentally, I just got the invoice for the repairs. $1,044... which includes new piston, conrod, bearings and cylinder plating. I was pleasantly surprised.

That bike's got about 770 hours on it now.

It spent 2 years in bits?

The actually weight of a bike is alway's difficult to determine since dry weights generally exclude all fluids inc fork and engine oil's, since all bikes differ in fork and oil capacity and other liquids it very hard to make exact kg comparisons on the readily available bikes in Thailand. But suffice to say i would rather be pulling up a KLX after a long day in the mud over 800 GS

Do that 3x and you have a free CRF 250 L

It spent 2 years in bits?

The Honda has its own issues... chief among them being a distinct lack of power... but at least the subframe is weldable, for when it breaks

They'd be Ed's photos, btw

... and I'd rather have a bike in bits occasionally, rather than a garage queen :F

Did you see what he was carrying!!

I did indeed. I believe he owes me a couple of bottles of fine wine as a result of a bet.

.... but we digress

Any votes for the KTM 690?

At 139kg exc fuel it's up there with the KLX but three times the price and not available in LOS i believe.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 11.06.27.jpg

Yes, just reflecting on picking up heavy bikes. :ride:

That second one would be Phil's photo.

Can I point out that the significantly lighter Super Enduro is rubber side down in both photos?

& long legs are a huge advantage.

That's similar to something the ladies say....

As for the bikes, its picking them up that hurts

Back
Top Bottom