The KLX Gets Wet Off Road From Samoeng To Mae Win

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
The route 108, 1269, 1013, 3035

Total distance 121 km
DSCF8132.jpg

I rode to Samoeng then took a left along the concrete road to ride over the mountain to Mae Win, after a few km it turned to unmade but not hard going
DSCF8133.jpg

Theres a sign here pointing to something 500 metres away, never having rode along here before I go to investigate
DSCF8134.jpg

Its the Mae Sap hydropower plant
DSCF8135.jpg

I ride up a bit further to the dam and its about 1 metre below capacity
DSCF8136.jpg

DSCF8137.jpg

DSCF8138.jpg

DSCF8139.jpg

Riding on and I am alongside the Mae Sap river
DSCF8140.jpg

DSCF8143.jpg

Watering the strawberry crop
DSCF8145.jpg

DSCF8146.jpg

DSCF8147.jpg

DSCF8148.jpg

This man appears to be dredging the river
DSCF8149.jpg

DSCF8150.jpg

His two piles of dredged sand
DSCF8151.jpg

DSCF8152.jpg

DSCF8153.jpg

Its a pleasant easy ride so far, little did I know what lay ahead
DSCF8154.jpg

DSCF8156.jpg

A nice twisty section
DSCF8157.jpg

I meet these two in Mae Lan Kham who tell me there are two more of them up in the hills waiting to be rescued as one had broken down
DSCF8159.jpg

Looking back at Mae Lan Kham
DSCF8160.jpg

DSCF8161.jpg

The next village along
DSCF8162.jpg

DSCF8163.jpg

DSCF8164.jpg

This dog was just wandering up in the hills with no one around
DSCF8165.jpg

Some good scenery when it could be seen, I had a rocky climb to reach the summit which was somewhere around 1050 metres
DSCF8166.jpg

DSCF8167.jpg

DSCF8168.jpg

DSCF8170.jpg

I stop to look at Luang Khun Win
DSCF8171.jpg

DSCF8173.jpg

DSCF8175.jpg

DSCF8176.jpg

DSCF8177.jpg

DSCF8178.jpg

Along here I meet the broken down guy and they tell me up ahead the road splits into two, the turning to my right was the one they used and they said it was terrible trying to get up and it took them about 2.5 hours manhandling the bikes up.
Upon hearing this I decide to (rightly or wrongly) take the left fork as both tracks are showing on my GPS map (thanks Auke).
Soon after this I was cursing as it was very difficult going down steep rutted tracks and somehow managing to stay on
DSCF8179.jpg

That looks like a deep pool of blue water along one of the gentler sections
DSCF8181.jpg

I managed to get the bike stuck in a water crossing and had to pull it out getting my boots full of water in the process, I enjoyed this so much that I did it again a couple more times.
The above photo was the last time and here it nearly went over but I managed to just stop it in time
DSCF8182.jpg

This dog was at the next water crossing and looked like it lived here which was good as I was getting concerned how much more of this hard going was between me and civilisation
DSCF8183.jpg

It looks flatter ahead and theres signs of people residing here, I hope so as theres no way that I will attempt to turn round and go back up there
DSCF8185.jpg

Across the river and what I wanted to see, people living here and they had ordinary two wheel drive pickup trucks here too which meant an easy ride back out of here
DSCF8186.jpg

DSCF8187.jpg

Now here is what I should have bought, a nice low seat on a light bike with knobbly tyres on it instead of the KLX
DSCF8188.jpg

The KLX certainly got a taste of the rough today and it behaved faultlessly
DSCF8189.jpg

Good scenery through here and I am a happy relieved rider now that I am out of the rough and on my way home
DSCF8190.jpg

DSCF8191.jpg

A bit of subsidence with that house by the looks of it
DSCF8192.jpg

It needs a bit of underpinning by the look of it
DSCF8193.jpg

DSCF8194.jpg

I was huffing and puffing at times today then a local would come along two up on a Honda Wave not even breaking sweat.
Just past here at N18.41.506 E098.48.186 the road becomes asphalt and stays like that all the way home.
DSCF8196.jpg

Riding alongside the river and perhaps theres a weir or something down there as the water is making a lot of noise
DSCF8198.jpg

I stop in at Pizza N Pasta for my lasagna with extra garlic bread for 208 Baht
DSCF8199.jpg

To my utter horror and embarrassment I could not finish eating my meal and had to suffer the humiliation of asking Steven for a bag to take the rest home as throwing food away is a cardinal sin in my book

Get the GDB file here www.captainslash.com

Brilliant Colin, this track was just waiting for your treatment of it, the pics look good & I am glad you were able to get those boots washed !

:lost

Ally

Great story and pix, and great to see you getting dirty. Looks like you are really enjoying it!

Look forward to a whole new crop of trip reports.

Mike

have you got the gpx track?
It looks like I've been there before, but it looks different too

ok, I see now.If you had turned right( by that big tree and signs) you would have gone where we got stuck one time, right near the end. We tried to do that track wednesday also but couldnt find it.

Colin -- i see you did some of the shitty inclines too, can see why it took you 2 and a half hours on your own to get up them!

Yellow tracks are Colin's, magenta tracks are ours.

doi inthanon mae win colin overlay.jpg

Back
Top Bottom