The Asian Suzuki DRZ 400 thread

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The Asian Suzuki DRZ 400 thread

Appropriate to start with one of the most beautiful Suzuki DRZ 400's in the world (that is in Asia) - Ted, who lives in Kampot, Cambodia's DRZ 400, he has about USD$ 15,000 in it.

6740654403_28800a59e9_b.jpg

Every conceivable modification has been done to the bike, Athena 440 barrel & piston kit, high lift camshafts, offset crank, Mikuni pumper carb., its all there.

He says its 57HP

6740653335_9a743dbbbe_b.jpg

Bill, who also lives in Cambodia's DRZ 400 E that's sensibly modified for extended trail riding

DSC00719.jpg

Great bikes.. Waiting on my 440 kit install (tho I balked at the hotcams this time round) and some free time to enjoy it.

Would say tho, 57bhp is ambitious with a 440.. Tuners in the states reckon that the 490 long stroke crank kit, plus cams, plus everything tops out at low 50s.. After that further tuning tends to grenade them.. Just based on thumpertalk and supermotojunkie reading tho. Thats except the nutter who managed to fit a blower and turbo the dizzy !!

Dirt wheels are pretty easy to source, you can use your SM hubs and just lace 21" & 18" rims, or buy a complete set of dirt wheels for around 15,000 bht.

I like as much fuel range as is sensibly possible. When poking around in the middle of no-where, once you're down to less half tank on a standard fuel tank,i dont care what anyone says everyone starts thinking about fuel.

file.php

I've put a Clarke 3.9 gallon (14.7 litre) plastic fuel tank on this bike. The standard fuel tank is 2.64 gallons, so this is a 44% increase in capacity. Trail riding you can use an estimate of around 170-180 km of riding range from a standard DRZ 400 fuel tank, the larger tank should then bring the range up to around 265km under inefficient riding conditions. (NOTE THE KICK START LEVER JUST UNDER THE FUEL TANK)

file.php

I do have a 18 litre safari fuel tank also. For trail riding what i don't like about the safari tank is that the tank molding replaces the radiator shrouds. If you crash on rocks even the the polypropylene is tough, there's still a chance of holing the tank in the middle of nowhere, the clarke 3.9 gal (14.7 litre) tank uses the existing radiator shrouds.

After the last jungle trip to Laos, getting caught in the dark, it was found that the DRZ 400's headlight was terrible, so a HID headlight has been installed. I want to test this to make sure the change does not result in a charging issue with the additional current draw.

With the DRZ 400SM model having the wrong suspension, race tech rear shock valving & new spring have been installed, this will take some playing with to get setup correctly.

Kick start has been added - being stuck in the mud through restarting the bike continually from falls & flattening the battery is pretty dumb. Interestingly the DRZ 400SM model cylinder head casting is not drilled to accept the decompression lever to aid kick starting. We installed this without the decompression aiding arrangement and it is not hard to kick start at all so not needed.

GPS power lead has been wired to the battery.

I wanted to change to a manual cam chain tensioner, Lan at C&P talked me out of it. I still think its good to have, if the auto hydralically driven cam chain tensioner fails, you could have some serious problems. It seems the cam chain tensioner problem was only on the very early DRZ 400 models and was rectified.

Sprocket gearing has been changed to 13T front keeping the 41T rear. Going down 2 teeth on the front equates roughly to adding 8 teeth on the back. I'm told reducing the front sprocket will reduce the chain life as its turning over a much smaller radius, so this will need to be monitored.

On sprockets, it's worth mentioning that many people including myself have had problems sourcing the rear sprockets. Standard DRZ 400 rear sprockets from the USA or UK have different fixing and center hole configurations. A friend has researched this and has discovered that rear sprockets from 2000 - 2004 Suzuki DR650's are what fits the Japanese imported DRZ 400's.

Safari tank pic when my US "S" was relatively new.

DSC00827.jpg

Good long range tank but I too prefer the 14 liter Clark and 12 liter IMS for trails.

Now running the 12 liter IMS on one DRZ, and the 14L Clark on the old one.
The IMS plastic is thicker/stronger than the Clark, but the Clark strength has never been a problem.

A kickstart will fit, just, using the Clark
With 12L IMS, you have relocate the Kickstart one notch fwd on the splines for it to fit under the tank when folded in. This puts it in a awkward position when beginning the kick down, but OK if its just for emergencies.

US "S" with 12L IMS and original plastics. The screen is from screen for bikes in Australia. Used it for the first time on a road trip to Thailand last month. Made a big difference. I wouldn't use it on serious trails though.

DSC00050.jpg

KTMphil said:
I wanted to change to a manual cam chain tensioner, Lan at C&P talked me out of it. I still think its good to have, if the auto hydralically driven cam chain tensioner fails, you could have some serious problems. It seems the cam chain tensioner problem was only on the very early DRZ 400 models and was rectified.

The cam chain tensioner is not hydraulic, it is a ratchet type tensioner, years 2000 until and including 2002 had a bad cam chain tensioner without the (or with a bad) ratchet function, which meant that at high strains the tensioner would give way and slacken off the chain -the results of course being a messy top end and a lighter wallet.

I have never heard of a single failed cam chain tensioner of the 2003 and onwards type, in my opinion I would never change to a manual tensioner if the bike was fitted with the 2003 onwards tensioner.

Hassman

Heard the same (it was only early ones tho I didnt know the end date) but still swapped mine out..

Way I figured it, I can hear a lose setup with the manual, but with the auto one I would never know until it went clunk. One less thing to be worried about at a cost of some extra attention to the engine sound.

LivinLOS said:
Heard the same (it was only early ones tho I didnt know the end date) but still swapped mine out..

Way I figured it, I can hear a lose setup with the manual, but with the auto one I would never know until it went clunk. One less thing to be worried about at a cost of some extra attention to the engine sound.

That was my thinking. on a big trip, having the manual setup might be able to get you out of trouble.

Not really riding the Suzuki DRZ 400 much these days. A friend had some special seats fabricated for a big tour on these bikes, looks like it will make a good touring seat for my daughter. We'll even be able to secure her to the seat for when she falls asleep. Will test soon.

1932633_10153643987073345_5880419935623861620_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom