Supercharged Honda Engines in Development

"Honda is also working on turbo-charged motorcycle, as one of the last big four Japanese manufacturers, Honda applied for several patents suggesting a supercharged engine with strict exhaust emission control is coming soon from Honda Big Wing."

Sounds like this guy doesn't know the difference between turbo and super charging.

Interesting.
The 600 engine is a VFR 1200 with the back bank chopped off to fit the Supercharger.

Big V4 torque-grunt-smoothness vs high performance 600 parallel screamer.

Give me the former anytime!

I once read an interesting article on a Ducati, someone used the rear cylinder as a compressor for the front cylinder.
It was practically a supercharged single and supposedly made more power than the twin.
It may be that supercharged motorcycle engines are the future, they're cleaner, more economic and restrictions may force the manufacturers to build them even though there are downsides.

Interesting.
The 600 engine is a VFR 1200 with the back bank chopped off to fit the Supercharger.

Big V4 torque-grunt-smoothness vs high performance 600 parallel screamer.

Give me the former anytime!

I don't believe that Honda would go that route, if there's any truth to the story I'm sure Honda will start with a clean sheet.
Not like Triumph in the 80s trying to squeeze a third cylinder in there instead of developing a completely new inline four.

Honda cut a Jazz car engine in half to make the NC700 twin ,,,, canibalising existing models saves mucho milliones dinero on development and production costs

Honda didn't cut a Jazz car engine in half but used some of its components. The fact that the same bore and stroke are used and that the engine has a low red line doesn't mean that it's half a car engine. Of course, using existing parts to create a new engine saves production costs but not necessarily development costs.
BMW did that in the early 80s when they came out with the K100 Four first, then with the K75 triple which shared pistons, con rods and cylinders. Of course the cams, crank, crankcase, the added counter balancer, the radiator, the tank, the exhaust, the frame and lots of other parts had to be developed while parts of the valve train and the injectors could be taken from the existing K100.
Like NC700 project leader Soya Uchida joked: "I got a hacksaw and cut a Jazz engine in half, but it really didn't run very well, so we had to put some more work into the NC700X."
I bet a lot of time and work went into the NC engine that the fact that some parts are identical to a Jazz engine is more a side note, but it makes a good story and that's what people remember.
Interesting article here: Honda NC700X | Ash On Bikes

Back
Top Bottom