Super-extended Nan-Loop (tips/advice/suggestions very welcome!)

TMT19

Bikes
FZ1n, VFR800
Hey guys,

###Updated with latest itinerary/map

Last year we did the Mae Hong Son Loop and decided to come back for another trip this year.
We've been setting up a couple of routes (which have been posted for review on this forum).
We are now on our latest revision, which is revised for a large part of the route.
@bsacbob suggested the Nan-loop so i definitly want that included in our route.
A couple of us want to visit the Sukhothai Historical Park, hence the detour South.
What do you guys think? Is this 6-day trip interesting/beautiful enough or am i missing parts?

Thanks again for reading!

Chiang Mai > Sukhothai > Phrae > Nan > Chiang Kham > Chiang Rai > Chiang Mai (or clockwise)
P2R3.png

Last edited:
One suggestion - when heading north from Sukhothai, stop at the Si Satchanalai Historical Park. Similar vintage as the Sukhothai Historical Park, but much less commercial and much less crowded.

Even though that nasty virus that holds a large part of the world hostage i've kept planning this trip. After the recent news about the extension of the state of emergency until the end of september and the news that Thai Airways won't resume their flights before october i've been getting the feeling that the trip won't be possible this year (first two weeks of November). Too bad, we were looking really forward to the trip, but it is what it is.

I won't leave this forum and i will keep following the ride reports (specially once the rain season is over again). I might get inspired setting up a new trip (once that is possible again). After months of reading i just felt the need to post something :giggle:

I hope everyone will stay safe and healthy!

It's good to hear from you - even if you can't get here at the moment. Keep an eye on us and you will continue to see reports from the very areas you wish to visit. We were at Sukhothai a month or so back, Chiang Khong and Doi Mae Salot two weeks ago.... and Nan last week. In most cases, we threw in some interesting back roads to get to those places. For example, getting to Nan, we did the 4010 rather than the 101. Getting from Sukhothai to Chiang Mai, we used the 106, 1274 and 1184 instead of the main highway.

Yeah i've been reading the very entertaining ride reports, but was shocked with your brake "faillure". I've had the same thing happening to me many moons ago (i believe '07/'08) on a NC30(VFR400) in Kanchanaburi province. Bike just came back from the shop with new brakes and brake fluid, but that brake fluid probably been on the shelve for way to long. I didn't notice anything while bedding in the brakes but after break-in on the first proper trip my brakes stopped working all of a sudden. Really not a nice feeling :oops:o_O

Yesterday i received an email from Thai Airways with the cancellation of our flights. So this trip will be post-poned until travel is possible again. We might stay a few extra day then so i guess we will re-write the entire trip. But that's OK, it'll keep me busy during the cold Dutch winter

Yesterday i received an email from Thai Airways with the cancellation of our flights. So this trip will be post-poned until travel is possible again. We might stay a few extra day then so i guess we will re-write the entire trip. But that's OK, it'll keep me busy during the cold Dutch winter

Damn - as an operator looking to see the re-opening of inbound tourism, hearing about November flights being cancelled isn't encouraging.

We booked a Brussel - Chiang Mai flight (with a stop in Bangkok) (3 Nov - 15 Nov)
The Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Bangkok flight (same ticket/booking) got cancelled over a week ago.
That was inconvenient, but there are other ways to get to Chiang Mai so i wasn't to worried.
Then yesterday the Brussel - Bangkok - Brussel part got cancelled as well.

Our hope now is on January/February anything later and we will reschedule for November ('21)
You run a tourist related business in Thailand @The Bigfella ??? I feel for you (and all others in the tourism industry)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2wheels Thailand Information 3