Sumatra-Lombok-Sulawesi planed for German

Bikibike

Bikes
DRZ 400, Triumph Speed Triple, BMW R100GS
Hi folks,
I'm a offroaddriver from Germany. I will be on a trip from october to november 2014 from Jakarta to South (Maumere?) for 8 weeks, and then to Sulawesi for 2 weeks.
The idea is to buy a small big wheel-bike 100-200ccm in Jakarta and sell in the South.

Can anybody say if it is possible for a European to buy a bike? What do I need for registration? What is the price for a small bike (no scooter!)? Do you have any recommendations for a good buy?

I know, the roads are sometimes not easy. I will go very defensively, want enjoy, not race.

Thanks for your help!

Biki

If you want to get maximum enjoyment out of your riding time in Indonesia, forget about Jakarta and Java. 150 million people make riding across Java very stressful no matter how experienced you are riding in Asia. If you've never ridden in Asia before, believe me, it's very different to what you have been used to. But don't worry - you will adapt.

I would start in Bali, buy or hire a bike there, tour Bali then head east to Lombok, Sumbawa and Flores. This will give you some wonderful riding experiences - I've put a lot of stuff up so have a read. If you buy a bike it cannot be put in your name unless you have a KITAS or working visa which you won't have. So get a letter from the seller stating that he has sold the bike to you. To make it official get a IDRupiah 6000 'meterai' stamp (duty stamp) from the post office, stick it on the letter and have the seller sign his name across it. Also get the BPKB (Buku Pemilik Kendaran Bermotor, which Indonesians call the 'BAY PAY KAR BAY and we would call the 'ownership book) from the seller. You also need to get the registration paper (the STNK or Surat Tanda Nomor Kendaran, which is called the 'Stenker') for the bike. This will show when it is registered to. If the registration is going to expire during your trip make sure you re-register it in the same place that it is currently registered in as it is difficult to do it elsewhere. Also get a sixty day visa which can be extended twice for thirty days each time.

Hondas are the most popular bikes and Honda has the most extensive service network. You should be able to get a good, low kilometres 125 cc for IDR 8 - 12 million. Hiring a bike in Bali is also an option and you can do this for as cheap as IDR 1 million per month. I traveled 000s of kilometres on Vario scooter. It has 14 inch wheels and was an excellent ride with surprising acceleration on the flat, so don't dismiss scooters completely from your plans. I now have a Kawasaki KLX150 which is a great road/trail and will take you anywhere you want to go. New it cost IDR 26,600,000 - second hand are hard to find. You need an International Driving Permit which you get from your local motoring organisation in Germany - buy it over the counter. Any further questions - just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks, Lone Rider and merantau!

I would start in Bali, buy or hire a bike there, tour Bali then head east to Lombok, Sumbawa and Flores.

Yes, I think, this is a very good plan. Maybe I like the riding there so I can go some days to Java, too.

The scooters in Germany have very small wheels, so I do not like this. But I saw, the "indonesian style" is much better - this are really big-wheel-scooter. I will see, what I will find.

Thanks so long!

Biki

Hi Biki,

Are you in Indonesia now?

I'm an offroader biker living in Bandung, offraoding is excellent here! If you need any help with anything send an email to me colvfrfg@gmail.com and i will do my best to assist.

Thanks, colvfrfg! It ist jot.

Sorry, I will start in 2014 ...

August 2014 - middle of September: Ladakh/Northindia
September - end of Oktober: Bali - Flores
October - middle of December: north of Thailand (Chiang Mai around) and then south of Thailand (Krabi/Ko Lanta?)
December - March: Newseeland with my husband :-)

Greetings

Bikibike, for your information there is a regular ferry that runs from Labuhanbajo on Flores to Bira in South Sulawesi. A friend of mine did the trip in September this year. Make sure you get a 60 day visa. You can extend it twice for 30 days at a time.

Back
Top Bottom