Steam train surprises in the jungle

Any more news on the train and it's location ?

By the way Ally lot's of the picture links are broken :-(

Good to 'catch up' with you at Riders last night Bob.

re
Any more news on the train and it's location ?

From my perspective;

1 the Australian War Memorial in Canberra has been notified of the loco's existence.

2 like-wise, the Death Railway Museum Research Centre in Kanchanaburi has also been notified.

I hope the 2-6-0 is still there when I come to view it in September. If it has dissapeared again it might of found its way to MaeChan and be in my back garden. A lot of interest from my steamin buddies in England. Oh by the way Phil, don't like to be pickky but you found a loco/engine not a train !!!

Are you sure about that?

7634d1361891050t-steam-train-surprises-jungle-7702968222_e8e560655f_b.jpg

+

7629d1361891040t-steam-train-surprises-jungle-7702974952_b1a305db32_b.jpg

= TRAIN

I hope the 2-6-0 is still there when I come to view it in September. If it has dissapeared again it might of found its way to MaeChan and be in my back garden. A lot of interest from my steamin buddies in England. Oh by the way Phil, don't like to be pickky but you found a loco/engine not a train !!!

Does one camel make a camel train ? hmmm hmmm !
Glad the thread is still running Phil , I drove a steam loco at 13yo , had to wait 'till 16 before a motorbike.

I was out on the loop today testing my Pirelli lean angle app.
Still have about 1 cm of tyre on each side I need scrubbed in.
The app gave me a 42.9% lean angle, all I could without slipping around, very slippery asphalt.

very slippery asphalt.

Really really slippy.. Dont know why hot season makes it so greasy..

Came close to a big off last week playing around.

Why is it tho.. Worth of its own thread as I have never understood it..

Surely hot dry tarmac is ideal.. OK some tarmac leaks oil when its gets hot, like the 118 sections, but the pai rd ?? even concrete slab, all gets super slippy this time of year.

Think it's the same one,just cleaned up painted and moved.
The tracks and gravel under it are all new.

P1010401.jpg

train A.jpg

Lew, last time I went passed where it was kept there was a "private " poster on the gate. Where is 744 now? Has it been moved next to R 1269?

In the first pic you can see our bikes to the far left outside the gate and just off the 1269.

Same property and not far from the old boat.

Thanks Phil, nice to see the thread still in steam with your hand on the throttle.

Those interested in locomotives ('nearly said 'trains' there) might be interested in this. The Vietnamese have restored a unit (a 'Tu Luc locomotive to 'Mikado spec') and are intending to run it as a service between Da Nang and Hue, which is basically accross/under the Hai Van pass. Some pics of the trial run here...

War-era steam locomotive to connect Hue and Danang | Travel | Thanh Nien Daily

That might add a bit of interest to the trip. I have some painful memories of Da Nang to Hue by train in late June 2010. 15 hours stretched to 18 or was it 20.... the only sleep possible, because the sleeper bunks were far too short for me, was in a plastic chair in the aisle.

Oh yeah, don't believe the ticket office when you buy the tickets... they tell you the bike will be on your train. Then... when you check the bikes in a few hours before departure, they tell you that the bike will be there in a week's time. (we sent the bikes on to Hanoi and got rentals in Hue)

Yesterday I rode around the area and could not find the locomotive engine.
Can someone please post google map link or GPS coordinates please?

I could be wrong, but it may well be the loco now on display on the 118, near Cabbages & Condoms.

Update, Sept 2019,
This loco + 2 carriages, a goods van and two Toyota fire "trucks" seem to be in good hands, they are located within the grounds of "The Royal Train Resort" on the same road as before. Speaking to some of the staff the new and greatly updated resort has been open about a year.
I'm arranging a meeting with owners to discover more.

1 - 21.jpeg

1569580768044.png

1569580797848.png

1569580828276.png

1 - 20.jpeg

1 - 19.jpeg

1 - 18.jpeg

1 - 17.jpeg

1 - 16.jpeg

1 - 15.jpeg

1 - 14.jpeg

1 - 13.jpeg

1 - 12.jpeg

1 - 11.jpeg

1 - 10.jpeg

1 - 9.jpeg

1 - 8.jpeg

1 - 7.jpeg

1 - 6.jpeg

1 - 5.jpeg1 - 4.jpeg

1 - 3.jpeg

1 - 2.jpeg

1 - 1.jpeg

Fire Pick-Up's

DSC00407.jpeg

DSC00406.jpeg

DSC00405.jpeg

DSC00404.jpeg

DSC00403.jpeg

DSC00402.jpeg

DSC00401.jpeg

DSC00400.jpeg

DSC00399.jpeg

DSC00398.jpeg

DSC00397.jpeg

DSC00396.jpeg

DSC00395.jpeg

DSC00394.jpeg

DSC00393.jpeg

DSC00392.jpeg

DSC00391.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a transformation, great pictures the fire trucks look amazing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Trail Riding Reports 13
Back
Top Bottom