Great enduro training area 5 minutes from Chiang Mai

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Great enduro training area 5 minutes from Chiang Mai

Went will WR250 Jon today to the best enduro training area in Chiang Mai.

Why is it so good? - 100's of steep mounds, cliff edges, ruts, rocks, sand and roots, all in a 1km x 1km area, 5 minutes from Chiang Mai moat. This area is behind the 700 year sports complex, but they've seriously fenced that area off to the trails. Jon took a look and said you might be able to sneak passed the fence by the river but not easy, better to go north to Huay Thong Tao and head south from in there as in the map below:

enduro training area.jpg

Today's practice was constant throttle and feathering the clutch on really steep gradients - was immensely useful

e train 2.jpg

e train 1.jpg

Poked around behind the 700 year sports complex today & found a way through to the trails off of R 121 / Canal Rd., midway between the 700 year sports complex and Huay Thong Tao resv'r. Turn left at the blue and white cement hopper and head west through the new housing complex. See the track in magenta on the map below.

It looks like a security gate will be there soon, but just south of the housing development Rd, there's a public road running parallel that will also take you west to the trails...

access to 700 year stadium trails.jpg

Good find!!
There also is/was a way in, where the huay tung tao road turns sharp right,go left to a fence, and round it, and you're into the new housing area. Carry on about a kilo and go right into the trails.

Trail Blocked

Had a bit if a ride around today out the back of 700 year stadium then headed north to Huay Thong Tao reservoir and just at where we take the bikes across the narrow little bit if concrete near the tar road there (top left of map above,southern part of the reservoir) the trail has been blocked with a big log and a little shrine has been set up.

Maybe another way around it but won`t be able to use that one anymore.

Was just there yesterday pokin around the trails. Good stuff!!

Loop said:
Trail Blocked

Had a bit if a ride around today out the back of 700 year stadium then headed north to Huay Thong Tao reservoir and just at where we take the bikes across the narrow little bit if concrete near the tar road there (top left of map above,southern part of the reservoir) the trail has been blocked with a big log and a little shrine has been set up.

Saw this today. Turn right off the trail about 20 meters before the log and drop down on top of the dam wall. You can ride across the dam and out onto the road.

AlexUSA said:
Saw this today. Turn right off the trail about 20 meters before the log and drop down on top of the dam wall. You can ride across the dam and out onto the road.

Ok,didn`t see that one but that big log must`ve been lifted in with a crane and adorned with streamers and bunting and part of that little shrine thing they set up so as "don`t touch"!

AlexUSA said:
Loop said:
Trail Blocked

Alex - can you show a map of this... im interested

I'm going to go ride around there again tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to meet 9:30 at 2nd entrance to Sports Complex let me know and I'll wait for ya there

KTMphil said:
AlexUSA said:
Loop said:
Trail Blocked

Alex - can you show a map of this... im interested

Untitled-1.jpg

Track is a bit funny since I was walking around on the hill but you can see where I rode across the dam.

AlexUSA said:

Track is a bit funny since I was walking around on the hill but you can see where I rode across the dam.

Went riding with Alex yesterday, we took it both down and up-hill. It's good to know, let's see if they gonna block this too in the future... :/ Looks like they don't like dirt bikes around huay tung tao.

I highly recommend that people ride easy and quietly in the urban areas, like the new shortcut through the moo ban right after 700yrs stadium. My thoughts are as long as there is no complains they won't do anything against it. So keep it easy around people's houses. :RO

MastaMax said:
I highly recommend that people ride easy and quietly in the urban areas, like the new shortcut through the moo ban right after 700yrs stadium. My thoughts are as long as there is no complains they won't do anything against it. So keep it easy around people's houses. :RO

Good call. And that new shortcut is a civil servant housing complex so you can bet if they start complaining we're going to get shut out of there very quickly. With increased traffic from all the recent GPS sharing and the new North Thailand map, let's try to keep these access trails open.

Take it easy until you get on the mountain. :DD

Has anyone entered the trails at the junction of Huay Kaew Rd & R 121 (Canal Rd)? I think Luke has told me he's com down it once, it leads up to where my DRZ 400 got stuck on some single track.

It's pretty challenging

dst  steep approach to trails.jpg

Back
Top Bottom