Seat modifications

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Seat modifications

The magician custom seat craftsman on the Ping river in Chiang Mai is currently working on Colin's (AKA Captain Slash) KLX 250 seat. 3PM tomorrow we'll see the final result.

He gives you some foam to ride around on until your seat is finished, then gives you the seat to test without the cover on so additional modifications can be made.

Attachments

• colin waiting for custom  seat.jpg
    colin waiting for custom seat.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 1,046
Colin's new seat for his KLX 250 - Narong did a first class job

6346476279_8f38d5c5ff_b.jpg

6346476357_0f0288e372_b.jpg

6347227220_2b8ec2cf33_b.jpg

6346476115_685de60c85_b.jpg

Real quality work

6347226786_9eaffb007f_b.jpg

Narong at work

6346476785_e547e16ca3_b.jpg

Narongs shop

6347227304_4aeb21f6fa_b.jpg

6346476627_cf1feb6119_b.jpg

Hi phil

Could you either post narongs shop gps coordinates or pm me and do you know the cost.

I cant wait to get my seat sorted as my back is killing me and looks like he did an awesome job on colins

Cheers Kevin

Did an awesome job on my spare seatpan too..

http://g.co/maps/gmfjk

Thats should be either on it or very close.

Cheers - all sorted, getting mine sorted on Thursday :d

Mine cost 2500 Kev but although its better and has a much larger seat area I will be getting another Airhawk to use on it for the longer journeys

The seat is complete

here is Narong with it before it went on the bike (he does excellent work)

View attachment 15121

Decided on a slightly different design.

after a few days off road and having a problem with reaching the ground on rough surfaces, i got Narong to cut the seat right down. this makes it much easier to get a solid foot hold.
I also made it slightly wider than standard, 1 cm longer with a raised lip on the back allowing the addition of light weight female passengers if needed. The lower cut also allows for the air hawk seat to be fitted for longer boring rides which buts up to the rear lip and because of the lower height, bring the combined height nearly back to normal, for longer trips

View attachment 15123

View attachment 15120

:d

Last edited by a moderator:
Narong has moved north very slightly, he is now 3 shop houses south of Rimping Supermarket on the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd (the road on the east bank of the Ping river). He is next to the mechanic's shophouse.

Cheap Airhawk alternative.
That seat looks really good but until I decide how much I want to invest in the bike I spotted a great alternative at the large camping department in Central Plaza at the bottom of Huay Kheow rd. It was only a few hundred Baht and seemed worth a punt.

View attachment 15117View attachment 15118View attachment 15119

I was a bit dubious at first but it works better than expected. The secret is to use as little air as possible so you are just touching the seat normally and closing your legs a bit ore than normal has a 'pumping up' effect to increase the support. It has a flock surface and a rubbery base so it does not slide around and I simply tied it on with cord although some kind of velcro fixing might be an option. When I removed it last I left the cord in place and have not found it a problem, less than the original seat strap.
I was getting sore after a couple of hours on my CRF 250 but now the limiting factor to a ride is my energy rather than a sore butt. Seven or so hour days and 400ish ks are enjoyable rather than torture toward the end.

I had a bean bag on the KLX250 until last week. it was called a 'Bumbag4bikers or something. It worked fine. but 10 hour offroad trips in Laos saw the beans retreat . I purchased one of those mesh covers that are advertised to keep the seat cool etc.. this one was double layered and cost about 5 dollars in a repair shop in Laos. Now normally I have a sore Ar$e after a couple of hours on the standard seat but after 10 hour days both off and on road in laos, Zero aches or pain.

Cheap Airhawk alternative.
That seat looks really good but until I decide how much I want to invest in the bike I spotted a great alternative at the large camping department in Central Plaza at the bottom of Huay Kheow rd. It was only a few hundred Baht and seemed worth a punt.

View attachment 15117View attachment 15118View attachment 15119

I was a bit dubious at first but it works better than expected. The secret is to use as little air as possible so you are just touching the seat normally and closing your legs a bit ore than normal has a 'pumping up' effect to increase the support. It has a flock surface and a rubbery base so it does not slide around and I simply tied it on with cord although some kind of velcro fixing might be an option. When I removed it last I left the cord in place and have not found it a problem, less than the original seat strap.
I was getting sore after a couple of hours on my CRF 250 but now the limiting factor to a ride is my energy rather than a sore butt. Seven or so hour days and 400ish ks are enjoyable rather than torture toward the end.

If that does the job Tim it was a good find

I got qquoted 2500 for my klx seat alterations, I want it wjder at the back. Does this make it any harder to reach the ground, say going up steep hills etc?
He is also going to put softer foam in my WRF seat as its very hard and I think it contributes a lot to kidney pain after a day or 2.

Does anywhere stock grippy material like used on mx bikes so I dont slip around on the saddle unintentioanally?

Tim's Honda CRF 250 L seat - 500 Bht from the upholsterer on Moon Muang Rd, 300 meters north of Somphet market, great value for money.

11062284506_c1075c6fa2_b.jpg

Tim's Honda CRF 250 L seat - 500 Bht from the upholsterer on Moon Muang Rd, 300 meters north of Somphet market, great value for money.

I think I will be going there for any future seat jobs

Another CRF 250 L seat modification from the upholsterer on Moon Muang Road, in Chiang Mai. This one highly modified and without additional changes would be 500 Bht!!!

11235312775_d9e29709b2_b.jpg

Living in BKK I get my seats done in Toom's shop in Intarmara in BKK.

Fantastic skill and service, and around 300-400 for each seat.

One of the great things about Thailand, there are some skilled guys who know exactly what they're doing and the it's done for super cheap.

Wow good deal

Will have to take a look
Just need to figure out if north of Somphet is past somphet or before :)

Had the lump removed off the seat today. Was giving me the 'ump ,every hole in the road and I got a lower spine jar. Third PCX seat I have had done. Maechan today 200B.seat 3.jpgseat4.jpgseat 2.jpg

Got my CRF done there too - but without the stitching (maybe stitching leaks).
Just back from a >1000k 4 day ride sitting at the pointy end as Thip sitting pillion.
Looks like Thip will want to come on more rides now.
Is second shop past Soi 8.

Colin got his KLX 150 sead modification back today from the chap on Moon Muang Rd - 500 Bht !

Fantastic widening mod

WP_20141113_09_52_09_Pro by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

WP_20141113_09_51_57_Pro by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

WP_20141113_09_52_17_Pro by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

WP_20141113_09_52_52_Pro by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The best mod I've seen. The shop I had my CRF seat modified at on Soi On Nut, BKK said widening like this wasn't possible. I'll print a copy of this seat to show non-believers in future!

Its more comfortable than the widening job I had done elsewhere on the KLX 250 which cost 2500 Baht, 5 times as much.
I will stick with this guy now for any seat alterations

Its the Riders Corner side of Somphet

Hi.. Tried to find this place 3-400 metres before riders corner and 3-400 metres after riders Corner on the same side of Moon Mueang Rd. Can you advise please advise whether it is before or after Riders corner.

Many thanks

I'm also interested in a widened seat like the one Colin has on his KLX. Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the shop? Might make it easier to find.

Cheers.

Hi.. Tried to find this place 3-400 metres before riders corner and 3-400 metres after riders Corner on the same side of Moon Mueang Rd. Can you advise please advise whether it is before or after Riders corner.

Many thanks

Should be about here

N18.79199 E98.99343

Its between a fruit shop on a corner and a doctors surgery ... looks for foam uncovered sofa's and chairs

OOps...Forget my last. Found it on the map.

Once again many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Good day gentlemen,

Anyone here can recommend a great seat guy in Phuket for a CRF250L seat mod?

I'm from Singapore and will be in HKT late July 2019 for a short 4 day getaway.

Been riding on the stock CRF seat and my 53 year old bum hurts. Its hard, narrow and as I seat well forward on the bike, squashes my balls.

So if anyone has suggestions for a great seat guy in Phuket, do share please.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
richnbel Vendors 2
bsacbob Vendors 7
H Vendors 13
Back
Top Bottom