Sangkhlaburi - Umphang two-up (2013.04.05-2013.04.07)

heilong

Bikes
"Macera" 2009 Kawasaki KLX250
This is a short story about how we got to Umphang from Sangkhlaburi, two-up. It's a prequel to the ride reports in the Umphang area that I posted earlier. I'm lazy to write a big story, it's already been done by other riders.
The team was our guide Jack, a great Karen guy who lives in Sangkhlaburi, 8 of his Thai friends, 4 guys from GT rider, me and my girlfriend Mio. Most people rode KLX250 and KLX125, there was also one CRF250L and one funny old Honda trials bike (don't know the model name).
The actual Sangkhlaburi - Umphang trip took us two days, we spent one night camping in the jungle.
The most difficult part for me was the steep rocky uphill (and subsequent downhill) at the very beginning of the trip. We took this route to avoid the wildlife sanctuary checkpoint(s). I crashed a couple of times, nothing serious, bent my handlebar a little bit (actually I discovered it 2 days later). Crashing wasn't a problem, but the heat was oppressive, after picking the bike up and finishing the section I felt like I'll have a heat stroke. I wasn't used to riding in that kind of heat. Later I understood that I have to take it easy and don't overexert, then I won't overheat.
The remaining part of the trip didn't feel difficult, although there were some relatively scary rocky sections, really steep climbs and descents, and nice rocky river crossings. Several guys dropped their bikes in the water, water got into one of the bike's engine oil, had to change the oil in the next village.
Everything but the most dangerous parts we were riding two-up, only on some steep rocky sections and some river crossings Mio had to dismount and walk. She did great, however at the end of the first day she was cursing a lot and calling me Oni (Japanese devil). And for some reason she couldn't sleep in the tent (we didn't have sleeping bags or camping mats but I made a nice soft dry leaf "floor" under the tent), I on the other hand slept like a baby. The Thai guys were amazing and cooked really delicious food for dinner and breakfast. During the whole trip I could see how well they work in a team, help each other etc. (they were having harder time on some sections because of their generally shorter legs). I'd love to ride with these guys again!
A great trip and I definitely want to come back there again!

20130405_183351_imgp1665.jpg

20130405_202145_imgp1679.jpg

20130406_095740.jpg

20130406_114903_imgp1706.jpg

20130406_115519_imgp1712.jpg

20130406_121648_imgp1722.jpg

20130406_122343_imgp1726.jpg

20130406_123105_imgp1731.jpg

20130406_123218_imgp1735.jpg

20130406_133545_imgp1769.jpg

20130406_133612_imgp1770.jpg

20130406_141010_imgp1779.jpg

20130406_142651.jpg

20130406_143143_imgp1787.jpg

20130407_071547.jpg

20130407_073522.jpg

20130407_105316.jpg

20130407_105321.jpg

20130407_120154.jpg

20130407_123234_imgp1814.jpg

20130407_131535_imgp1821.jpg

20130407_131607_imgp1823.jpg

20130407_131756_imgp1825.jpg

20130407_133713.jpg

20130407_133841.jpg

20130407_165436_imgp1838.jpg

20130407_165836_imgp1842.jpg

Nice photo's Gene, I had arranged to be on this trip with Jack, but due to the Surin refugee camp fire near Mae Hong Son, I was involved in fund raising and collecting goods which Ron & Ally took out to the Khun Yuam collection depot, i've done it before it's a good trail, thanks for sharing.

A tip of the hat to Moi for enduring this trail and the walking!

The link to when we did this trail a year earlier is below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...ed-umpung-tung-yai-naresuan-jungle-track.html

6665690947_453e86fe29_b.jpg

Yeah Phil, Jack told me before the trip that you might be coming, too bad you couldn't make it! Good deed regarding the refugees. I heard about this fire, terrible stuff!
Mio told me she's never going to come with me on a crazy trip like that, but later she didn't have a problem with going on 1-day trips with me. So maybe I'll convince her to do something like that again :) Or get her own KLX125/150. I just taught her how to ride a scooter recently, she's a natural!

Yeah Phil, Jack told me before the trip that you might be coming, too bad you couldn't make it! Good deed regarding the refugees. I heard about this fire, terrible stuff!
Mio told me she's never going to come with me on a crazy trip like that, but later she didn't have a problem with going on 1-day trips with me. So maybe I'll convince her to do something like that again :) Or get her own KLX125/150. I just taught her how to ride a scooter recently, she's a natural!

You could get her the KLX 140 enduro bike, I think it would be perfect for what you want to do, the only negative is its not road registered

LR- looking at the map again, looks like these 2 might join up? Anything on Google Earth to suggest that?

8694734961_5820de5df3_b.jpg

Map copyright RideAsia.net - All rights reserved

Great ride guys. A tip of the hat for doing it two up, a great way to suss out if the gal is a keeper :). Heilong did you do the ride with a GPS? Has anyone been able to determine whether the singletrack on this ride that was used to circumvent the checkpoint is indeed on the current GPS map? Reason I ask is last time I was up there two years ago with Jack we did not circumvent the checkpoint and got stopped, just wondering if anyone has indeed given the tracks to Lonerider for the ride that Heilong completed to confirm all the tracks from the ride have been documented. Also nice to see riders from both websites getting along and enjoying the riding together which is what its all about.

That's a great way to suss out :) If she doesn't die in the middle, or run away after, the test is successful!
I had a GPS with a RideAsia map installed, our first trail was not on the map, but the screenshot Phil posted above has this trail (I think the dark blue stuff is new tracks while the light-blue is the currently released map, right Phil?). I guess it will be in the next release of the map.
I heard there are some problems between the two forums or more likely between particular people from two forums, but I don't have any problems with anybody on both, and I'd love to keep it this way. I'm not interested in politics or making enemies.

Well done Heilong on all counts, the ride, the pics, your enthusiasm and most of all your open mindedness.

Mio & the furry fella are very lucky to have you ;)

Ally

just wondering if anyone has indeed given the tracks to Lonerider for the ride that Heilong completed to confirm all the tracks from the ride have been documented.

Yes, indeed, the dark blue parts are the new tracks (thanks to Mike Hohman who provided the tracks). The tracks as well as a lot of other tracks and way-points have been or will be added to the North Thailand GPS and the new version of the map should be available around September/October of this year at the start of the new riding season.

LR- looking at the map again, looks like these 2 might join up? Anything on Google Earth to suggest that?

Not sure if the two parts link up but I don't think so looking at the mountain ranges in between. One of the unconfirmed tracks (east of the checkpoint south-east of Pha la ta) is now confirmed thanks to Gene. Anyway, both Gene and Colin/Captain Slash were chased by the people at that checkpoint so, unless you have a permit, you will have a hard time to get there.

Also nice to see riders from both websites getting along and enjoying the rides together which is what its all about.

Almost all of the riders from both forums have no problems with each other and enjoy riding the tracks together. Unfortunately, there are a few persons who seem to get pleasure out of feuding with each other. Very sad indeed and (sigh) I see the next feud already in the making.

I heard there are some problems between the two forums or more likely between particular people from two forums, but I don't have any problems with anybody on both, and I'd love to keep it this way. I'm not interested in politics or making enemies.

I'm in your camp Gene, unfortunately for reasons of money and greed, there's some desperate individuals out there that will do everything they can to "try" & drive wedges for financial gain (& it's failing dismally) , fortunately the smarter ones see through it and don't get caught up in the playground antics, we all just want to get along.

(This forum is ALL free / zero revenue & will NEVER be commercial)

Great photos thanks heilong. I was in Sankhlaburi last August and really wanted to go through to Umphang that way, but fortunately spoke to both Jack and Mike... who said "not this time of year"

That was before I'd got my RideAsia GPS map and I hadn't met any of the RideAsia.net or GTRider guys. The sky was a bit angry... and they said the rivers would be too

I did get to see Sangkhlaburi, and enjoyed it... especially after meeting 8 or so bike riders from Bangkok. I think I dazzled them with my Aussie casual gear

I was keen to see the area, as a relative of mine is buried up there "somewhere"... a reminder of the dim dark days of WW2.

I did get to see some muddy stuff, taking a back route north of the main road, back to Kanchanaburi and then up to Tak and Mae Sot. I got an introduction from King Zero and headed down to Nu Pho refugee camp... intending to spend a day there, but ending up spending a week, as a guest of U. Lin, along with King Zero, another of the instigators of the Saffron Revolution

Its a tough life for those poor souls in the refugee camps, and it tears your heart out. I put some things in place to hopefully help them out and I can understand why Phil missed the ride with the troubles further north. These people need a hand. This was the devastation in the hut next to the temple I was sleeping in. A man had his back broken in a storm while I was there... and another, further down was killed.

These people have been living in the mud since 1995... and they need our help. We ride through their areas and they are suffering. It behoves us to help them

No, pink isn't my favourite colour

The conditions I saw over on that border are enough to keep you awake at night

The roads out from Nu Pho, back to Umphang were "interesting" at that time of year

There's only about 40 km of the track that I didn't manage to join up. I desperately want to get back and see my friends in the camp... and I sure as hell want to join up that loop. Next year maybe?

As for the hoo haa between the two websites.... I've met and dealt with people in both camps. Sure, there's tension between some individuals. That's what happens with big swinging dicks. So? I can talk to people from both camps... and if I can't, that's their issue, not mine. I like everyone I've met on this site... and I mainly post here. There's some history at the other site. I'm not going to let that detract from my enjoyment in Thailand. I love the place and I'll continue to contribute while I can.

I'm going to be back in Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks. I'll stay at Riders Corner, as I like the vibe, with plenty of interesting riders passing through. I'll attend the GTRiders monthly meeting, if enough key members can be found... and life will go on.

I couldn`t imagine doing a ride like that 2 up. The strain on the rider,brakes,suspension and chain and sprockets and must have been immense....or i am getting old? 555

That's a great way to suss out :) If she doesn't die in the middle, or run away after, the test is successful!
I had a GPS with a RideAsia map installed, our first trail was not on the map, but the screenshot Phil posted above has this trail (I think the dark blue stuff is new tracks while the light-blue is the currently released map, right Phil?). I guess it will be in the next release of the map.
Awesome attitude Gene and thanks heaps for the report. Also best of luck getting your gal up and running on her own bike should make for some more fun RR's.

just wondering if anyone has indeed given the tracks to Lonerider for the ride that Heilong completed to confirm all the tracks from the ride have been documented.

Yes, indeed, the dark blue parts are the new tracks (thanks to Mike Hohman who provided the tracks). The tracks as well as a lot of other tracks and way-points have been or will be added to the North Thailand GPS and the new version of the map should be available around September/October of this year at the start of the new riding season.

Not sure if the two parts link up but I don't think so looking at the mountain ranges in between. One of the unconfirmed tracks (east of the checkpoint south-east of Pha la ta) is now confirmed thanks to Gene. Anyway, both Gene and Colin/Captain Slash were chased by the people at that checkpoint so, unless you have a permit, you will have a hard time to get there.

Also nice to see riders from both websites getting along and enjoying the rides together which is what its all about.

Almost all of the riders from both forums have no problems with each other and enjoy riding the tracks together. Unfortunately, there are a few persons who seem to get pleasure out of feuding with each other. Very sad indeed and (sigh) I see the next feud already in the making.
Auke - Thank you for the update and a tip of the hat to Mike for the additional tracks. Seems most everybody is towing the same line about wanting to just enjoy living and riding over here without any politics. Hopefully the offending parties will get it through their skulls to STFU and just enjoy life.

Yeah I really feel bad for the plight of the refugees. Burma wants to kill them, Thailand kinda lets them stay (but I heard they don't let everybody in), but actually they don't want them here, they're not helping, it's only these NGOs and just some kind-hearted individuals. Great story Bigfella and nice pink pants! :) Is that traditional Aussie gear?
That road from Umphang to Nu Pho (and further down south) is very unpleasant in the dry season (super dusty and you can't see all the roads hidden under the thick layer of dust), and as I can see from your photo also unpleasant in the rainy season.

I couldn`t imagine doing a ride like that 2 up. The strain on the rider,brakes,suspension and chain and sprockets and must have been immense....or i am getting old? 555

Nah, it wasn't so bad. The suspension complained a bit, so I had to take it easy on the bumps. Chain still looks ok :) The rider didn't complain at all, the passenger didn't complain either but you could see the holy war fire burning in her eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Helluva trip Heliong, read another account and it looked more like an endurance test.
T.

Just some jolly good fun, nothing really bad I think!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome attitude Gene and thanks heaps for the report. Also best of luck getting your gal up and running on her own bike should make for some more fun RR's.

Thanks a lot mate! Hope so :)

Hi Jack,

In the last picture is that your new tyre from the US with the studs which you mentioned on Facebook?

Wow, well done and I guess it will be much cheaper to do it yourself then importing it from the US

Back
Top Bottom