Sangkhlaburi, West Thailand (Repost, Dec 2009)

mikehohman

Bikes
KLX250
A repost from some other site of my first ever trip report....

Bought a new KLX 250 a couple weeks ago, and finally managed to get out of Bangkok for 4 days/3 Nights, up to the Sangkhla Buri area and around Kanchanaburi province.

Some photos are below.

Would love to meet up with any dirt bike riders, especially around Bangkok, who would like to go riding! I made this trip alone, and it was fun, but I do enjoy riding with others (and I think it's a little safer).

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

Mike

My new KLX, and some banana trees, before hitting the dirt...
IMG_0149.JPG

Rice paddy on the outskirts of Muang Kanchanaburi.
IMG_0148.JPG

The Kwai Noi River valley, northwest of Muang Kanchanaburi.
IMG_0164.JPG

Ruen Rim Kwai Resort on the Kwai Noi river. They have some rooms in the back. 600 baht, but i bet you could negotiate a discount.
IMG_0166.JPG

he "pool" at the Boutique Raft Resort, near Sai Yok, on Wednesday night. Nice resort I guess, but overpriced, and the food was lame...
IMG_0174.JPG

Dirt road through a bamboo jungle, north of Highway 323. I was trying to get through to Srinakarin Reservoir, but this eventually dead ended. Maybe will give it another try some day.
IMG_0181.JPG

Power lines running through to Srinakarin Reservoir, about 20 km up 323 from attempt #1. I know there must be a track through, but the park ranger wouldn't let me through...
IMG_0190.JPG

Road into the park headquarters. Beautiful park, would be a great place to camp...
IMG_0191.JPG

Marigold fields up in the hills east of 323
IMG_0198.JPG

Bridge on the way to a Karen village, outside of Sangkhla Buri...
IMG_0208.JPG

View of the Reservoir outside of Sangkhla Buri
IMG_0230.JPG

Up in the hills outside of Sangkhla Buri
IMG_0240.JPG

Somchai Guesthouse in the hills overlooking Sangkhla Buri. Rubber trees on the hill in foreground.
IMG_0306.JPG

View down towards Sangkhla Buri. Somchai Guesthouse on right
IMG_0313.JPG

Nice View
IMG_0330.JPG

Ponatee Guesthouse on the Khao Laem Reservoir in Sangkhla Buri
IMG_0324.JPG

Downtown Sangkhla Buri on Thursday Night
IMG_0336.JPG

Fruit Market in Sangkhla Buri
IMG_0249.JPG

Dinner in Sangkhla Buri. That's the chef checking me out...
IMG_0244.JPG

Friday morning, the eponymous Three Pagodas... Hmmm, not much to look at....
IMG_0264.JPG

Border Crossing at Three Pagodas Pass. It was closed. 8:00 AM on Friday.
IMG_0257.JPG

Old monastery west of Sangkhla Buri
IMG_0274.JPG

Army camp near the Burma border, west of Sangkhla Buri. They wouldn't let me proceed farther. Burma was still 10 km. I guess there is a big refugee camp near the border and they don't want "tourists" poking around...
IMG_0275.JPG

Schoolhouse
IMG_0276.JPG

The road not taken.... Saving for next time...
IMG_0279.JPG

Rubber tree plantation. Excellent riding!! Double track, single track, and no track...
IMG_0283.JPG

Single track through the rubber trees...
IMG_0285.JPG

More tracks through the hills
IMG_0289.JPG

Beautiful wooden boats...
IMG_0338.JPG

Early morning fog
IMG_0340.JPG

View from the road out of Sangkhla Buri back towards Bangkok
IMG_0344.JPG

Road down towards the Srinakarin Reservoir. There are miles and miles of beautiful bamboo tunnels back in here... Almost like Autumn with the colors.
IMG_0353.JPG

Huai Mae Khamin Waterfall. The picture doesn't do it justice... There is a nice, well-maintained campground here. 40 baht entrance fee for locals, 20 baht for the motorcycle
IMG_0358.JPG

Jack, a Karen dirt bike fan, I met at the P guesthouse.
IMG_0341.JPG

I hadn't seen this before Mike thanks for posting it, looks like a great area. Colin / Captain Slash will be down there in a week or so, I'm going to see if I can hook up with him and poke around some remote villages on dirt trails.

Back
Top Bottom